The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 6 July 2012, 01:02 PM   #1
joanna_yuen
"TRF" Member

Rolex vs Panerai

Hi, I live in HK and I'm trying to buy a watch for my bf.

I see a lot of people comparing ROLEX and PANERAI. Anyone can shed light on this? To me, they look completely different.

Thank you for helping out!
joanna_yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2012, 01:43 PM   #2
NSXsan
"TRF" Member

for myself if this is my first watch, I will definitely get a Sport Rolex watch

cheers
NSXsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2012, 03:19 PM   #3
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
You can start by viewing the models that they offer at their respective sites.

http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id...2&id_sezione=1
http://www.rolex.com

Panerai offers 40mm, 44mm, 47mm and I believe 50mm watches as well.

Rolex offers 36mm, 40mm, 41 and 44mm.

Panerai has a lever locking mechanism for their crown while Rolex has a screw down crown.

Panerai still offers hand wound movement which has a power reserve of 58 hrs ie. Panerai 111, and of course automatic movements.

All of Rolex's offerings have SS bracelets while Panerai offers rubber, leather straps as well as SS bracelets. All of Rolex's modern offerings are automatics.

I'm no expert on both watches but these are the basic differences.
Old 6 July 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
lorsban
"TRF" Member

From my understanding, Panerai still uses ETA/Unitas movements on some of their models. Rolex has all in-house movements.

Rolex, by far, has more models to choose from. While Panerai has 2 main lines: Luminor and Radiomir. All of their watches branch out from those two. To someone who doesn't know the brand, all Panerai watches look the same. But, if you look closely, you will find quite a bit of variance between models (as what I'm finding out myself).

Most Rolexes come with a steel bracelet with very few exceptions. Panerai, on the other hand, comes with steel, leather, rubber. If you go the Panerai route, I would recommend you get a steel version since you can get rubber/leather straps anywhere, while a steel bracelet would set you back over $2,000.

Hot models for Rolex would be watches in their Professional line, especially the Daytona and Submariner. Still popular would be their GMT, Explorer and Yacht-Master. Datejust is, of course, always a classic option.

From my limited understanding, hot Panerai models are those with a 1950 case. I honestly can't tell the difference between a 1950 case and your regular Luminor case unless you put them side by side. "Sandwich" dial is also quite popular. And try to find something with an in-house movement by Panerai.

Either way, both brands have excellent resale, so you won't have to worry if you've made the wrong choice. And you can find a lot of them in Hong-Kong's second hand shops. There are a lot in Wan Chai, TST. Got mine in TST, in that street between Miramar and The One Mall, there's a bunch of shops down the road to your right (if you're coming from Nathan).
Old 6 July 2012, 04:00 PM   #5
leeye
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many......
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna_yuen View Post
Hi, I live in HK and I'm trying to buy a watch for my bf.

I see a lot of people comparing ROLEX and PANERAI. Anyone can shed light on this? To me, they look completely different.

Thank you for helping out!
what watch does your bf own or is wearing now?
Radiomir - PAM 410
leeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2012, 04:19 PM   #6
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Depends on what type of watches your bf likes. Hard to compare. They are all different.
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2012, 04:38 PM   #7
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
my first 'serious' watch was a Tag. Used it for 9 years before I could purchase my first Rolex GMTIIc. The Tag is still in rotation in case you are wondering.

After about 8 months, I was presented with the golden opportunity to acquire the PAM 390 at retail price so I jumped at the offer.

To answer your question, it really depends what your boyfriend likes.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2012, 04:40 PM   #8
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

Hi Joanna. There is a small group of us based in HK who arrange a GTG (get together) now and then, usually over lunch, share a few watch stories then head over to many of the watch shops. The guys have a pretty good relationship with the shop owners and can get you a nice discount usually.

Will let you know our next GTG and you and your BF can join us if you wish.

Entry price for a Panerai is around HkD$30k and goes up from there. Do you have a budget in mind?
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2012, 04:44 PM   #9
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
get info from your bf if he likes large retro/vintage look (panerai) or conventional/traditional look (rolex).

it gets easier from there.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
get info from your bf if he likes large retro/vintage look (panerai) or conventional/traditional look (rolex).

it gets easier from there.

that's not half bad!

another easy approach would be if he has a strong preference for bracelets or straps.....unless he doesn't, in which case, back to the above.

both are great brands with many worthy choices.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2012, 02:24 AM   #11
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Panerai! but, im so biased ;p Both make great watches i prefer the 1950 models though. Curved casing and domed crystal no cyclops on date and sandwhich dial. People are saying there in house movements at the time are broken but, they have been out for about 3-4 yrs and still fairly young but, my 328 runs perfectly. I had the same dilemma and chose Panerai but, Rolex makes a great watch. I can say that I like panerai more but rolex do make timeless pieces. It is the safe and simple choice imo. All in all it is preference at the end of the day. Good luck on the purchase hope you find a nice one for the bf!
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2012, 03:28 AM   #12
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
you cant compare the two. totally different watches. it wont be an apples to apples comparison.

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2012, 04:32 AM   #13
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
sub 16610!!!

how could anyone not love the stainless sub date?

Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 06:49 AM   #14
kntran
"TRF" Member

Joanne, I'm a recent Rolex to Panerai convert. I've owned Rolex Datejust, Submariner (anniversary), and a stainless steel Dayton. I sold my datejst to buy the Submariner, then sold the Submariner for my recent Panerai 88. Panerai in general is a sporty/rugged looking watch. Certain models you can probably pair with a suit and it wouldn't look out of place. Almost all of the sporty Rolex (Submariner, GMT, Yachtmaster, Daytona) although may look sporty can easily be paired with a suit and doesn't look out of place.

Some may disagree with me of course, but if you want something that is versatile, I'd go with a Rolex for the initial watch.
kntran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 11:13 AM   #15
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto16610 View Post
how could anyone not love the stainless sub date?

Or these beauties

& all the strap options to boot--Just saying both r great brands w/ history
watchdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 01:21 AM   #16
highdiver

Watch: APPPR IWC
Well, i think it depends on your bf's wrist size as well. If his wrist is say 6" or below, better stick with rollie. If 6.5" and above Pam will look nice.

I have both. Well, i think its safer for you to grab a sport rollie cos sport rollie tends to retain its value a bit better than a pam.
highdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 01:43 AM   #17
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

I think the question is a bit abstract. Do a little research on eaach brand, then maybe you'll have a more dialed answer from everyone.
Old 27 July 2012, 07:54 AM   #18
Rex312

Watch: GMT Master
If this is your bf's first "real" watch, then go with a stainless steel Rolex. It the most versatile watch out there, and is really the only watch he will ever need.
Rex312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2012, 06:50 AM   #19
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
difficult choice

I have only 2 watches .......

Rolex Sea Dweller
and
Panerai Luminor 390
Old 1 August 2012, 10:45 AM   #20
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex312 View Post
If this is your bf's first "real" watch, then go with a stainless steel Rolex. It the most versatile watch out there, and is really the only watch he will ever need.
I agree. If or when your bf gets tired of his Rolex, it will be soooo easy to sell. Heck, even 2nd hand shops will buy it for 85% street value (worst case).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Old 1 August 2012, 11:22 AM   #21
mpmesq
"TRF" Member

What your bf wears now really will influence your decision. If he is into the larger watches, he will not be happy with the smaller Rolex. Even the new 41mm watches look small next to a 44mm Panerai
mpmesq is offline   Reply With Quote