The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 July 2021, 02:19 PM   #1
Hobeom Kwack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167a
324 sc movement issue (minute hand jump with 5167)

Hi, guys. I have recently received an aquanaut 5167a and found an issue when setting time.

When I pull the crown out or push it in, the minute hand and the second hand seem to move by a tick or two time to time. It acts as if they are jammed when I pull it out or push it in.

However, this happens quite rarely (1 out of 10?) and the degree of “hands jump” is small. So I am wondering if this is some kind of mechanical design of 324 SC or a mechanical failure that has to be dealt by service center in Swiss.

It’s quite frustrating that this kind of problem concerns me despite the fact that the watch is new and made by Patek…
Please refer to the video I upload.
Help me out!
Hobeom Kwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 07:42 PM   #2
Hobeom Kwack
"TRF" Member

I couldn’t upload videos due to the file size :(
Old 14 July 2021, 09:25 PM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobeom Kwack View Post
Hi, guys. I have recently received an aquanaut 5167a and found an issue when setting time.

When I pull the crown out or push it in, the minute hand and the second hand seem to move by a tick or two time to time. It acts as if they are jammed when I pull it out or push it in.

However, this happens quite rarely (1 out of 10?) and the degree of “hands jump” is small. So I am wondering if this is some kind of mechanical design of 324 SC or a mechanical failure that has to be dealt by service center in Swiss.

It’s quite frustrating that this kind of problem concerns me despite the fact that the watch is new and made by Patek…
Please refer to the video I upload.
Help me out!
It is possible to hack (sort of) the 324 movement by momentarily turning the time backwards, it won't damage the movement and is a way of accurately setting the time - is this what you are experiencing?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 10:16 PM   #4
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
As Russell said, a little back pressure holds the seconds hand in place when the crown is in the full outer position. I might know what you mean with the slight jump. I find when I have set the time and have applied max back pressure before the hands start turning back then when pushing the crown in the second hand and minute jerk a little then settle. If I apply the back pressure just enough to stop the second hand then when clicking the crown back in there is no jump. I think it’s normal to be honest.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 12:18 AM   #5
Hobeom Kwack
"TRF" Member

Thank god there is no issue in the movement. I appreciate it. Now i see that there happens a minute and second hands jump when I push in the crown after applying much back pressure. Do you also see minute and second hands jerking when pulling the crown out? They time to time jump by a tick when I pull the crown out.
Old 15 July 2021, 12:20 AM   #6
Hobeom Kwack
"TRF" Member

Do you happen to know if it’s ok to turn the crown anticlockwise to set time? Im afraid when I turn the minute hand anticlockwise, much back pressure is applied to the movement.