The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 7 November 2015, 05:47 AM   #1
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Mont Blanc 'M Pen' anyone?

Picked up the new 'M Pen' a few weeks ago when it came out. Absolutely love it.

I find myself playing with the magnetic cap for alignment and cap 'click' all the time while in meetings

Any other owners out there?

D

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 10:01 PM   #2
nickgreg
"TRF" Member

Returning it

I bought a week ago the M rollerball and I am returning it tomorrow. I love the design, I love the magnets, I love the ink (was told by a sales rep that it is gel ink - different than the standard meisterstuck ink), however it hurts my fingers when I write. I have 2 standards meisterstuck and wanted something different. However the metal threads hurt my fingers when I write (i hold my pen quite thight) and the place where the metal joins the resin is not smooth and also hurts me after a few minutes. I feel that it is cutting my fingers. Quite sad as I love the design.

Will swap it for a Meisterstuck Le Grand Rollerball Platinum tomorrow as the handling is softer on my delicates hands!
nickgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 10:18 PM   #3
artschool
"TRF" Member

i have a mont blanc star walker and it lives an easy life on my desk. the resin cap has cracked twice and i can't be bothered to send it back yet again, i would never buy another montblanc as the materials are cheap.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2015, 03:36 AM   #4
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
i have a mont blanc star walker and it lives an easy life on my desk. the resin cap has cracked twice and i can't be bothered to send it back yet again, i would never buy another montblanc as the materials are cheap.
I beg to differ, you are of course entitled to your opinions, but the resin they use is an expensive process and is fragile when dropped or mishandled. Thus causing cracks and damage to the resin portions of a MontBlanc Writing Instrument. So are they expensive writing tools, yes, do you need to be cautious when using them, yes, so just be careful when handling and they will and can last a lifetime!!!

Take care…..Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2015, 04:42 AM   #5
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
I beg to differ, you are of course entitled to your opinions, but the resin they use is an expensive process and is fragile when dropped or mishandled. Thus causing cracks and damage to the resin portions of a MontBlanc Writing Instrument. So are they expensive writing tools, yes, do you need to be cautious when using them, yes, so just be careful when handling and they will and can last a lifetime!!!

Take care…..Leo
Leo,

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl...e=off&start=10

there are quite a few people (that is an understatement) that have the same problem.

my real issue is the way that mont blanc handle repairs, they don't make it easy!

I actually like the design of the M pen and would have definitely bought one if it was made with something other than "black precious resin" aka acrylic.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
At this time I have about 30 Montblanc writing instruments in the collection and have only had one issue where I dropped a 144 BP on a concrete floor and shattered the resin barrel into pieces. I still remember the "sick" feeling in my gut that day, but that was my baptism into "precious resin". :)

Called up MB and shipped it back to them for repair. The cost of the repair was quoted at $100.00. Two weeks later I received the pen back in beautiful repaired condition (replaced the barrel and polished the rest up) and the receipt stated "No Charge". And they threw in a nice MB polishing cloth gratis.

Admittedly that was 30 years ago and Kohinoor handled their repairs, but the point is that today and for over 30 years I have I typically have used MB fountain pens and this is the only time I have ever had any issues with the pen breaking. I caused it.

As Leo kindly stated, these are fine writing instruments and resin is like glass, but not quite as hard. You can cause a fracture easily by dropping it on a hard surface like a wooden table or Formica surface like a cube desk at work.

So many people associate a name like Montblanc with durability, but this is false in the extreme. As a friendly suggestion may I submit that if you want a pen with durability do a bit of research and get something made out of plastic, hard rubber, or metal. There are some very pretty and functional ones out there. But if you are going to acquire anything made out of resin or even celluloid there is a risk of fracture. But then again you get pens that can be polished to a glass like luster and produce deep richness.

My Compliments!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 04:22 AM   #7
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
Don't forget the hand feel. I have aluminum pens. Titanium pens. Platinum pens. Nothing feels as warm to me as Montblanc precious resin. I've cracked a meisterstuk roller ball barrel.
rozyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2015, 10:10 AM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozyd View Post
Don't forget the hand feel. I have aluminum pens. Titanium pens. Platinum pens. Nothing feels as warm to me as Montblanc precious resin. I've cracked a meisterstuk roller ball barrel.
Yes!!!

I can not stand touching metal when I write with any pen.

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2015, 09:31 AM   #9
EdipisReks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
my real issue is the way that mont blanc handle repairs, they don't make it easy!
Must be different in the UK, as its an extremely easy process in the US: include a note with contact info and what is wrong with the pen, and mail it to the service center.

I've never had resin crack on a Montblanc, and I own and have owned many.
EdipisReks is offline   Reply With Quote