The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 September 2023, 01:46 AM   #1
dmash
"TRF" Member

Dual Time Popularity?

One thing I've always wondered is why the Dual Time was never re-introduced? Is there not that much demand for a GMT/Dual Time style watch from AP? I feel it definitely filled a gap which is currently missing. I likened it to the 5712 for Patek, a complication to coincide with the base model Nautilus/Royal Oak. We obviously have the perpetuals but that design and price difference is quite significant.

For myself, as somebody who travels frequently, a new dual time model is something I would absolutely love to have in collection (currently use my PAM233 for this scenario). I've tried the 26120st, but simply prefer the 39mm case size only if doing a Jumbo. I've honestly been pondering a VC Overseas dual time to fill this gap, but would love to see a modern AP rendition first.

What say you all, are others not a fan of this style watch? Isn't there a gap in the current catalog for a piece such as this?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 01:55 AM   #2
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Always a slow seller. I like dual time/gmt watches but never wanted the AP. Never liked the execution personally.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 01:56 AM   #3
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
One thing I've always wondered is why the Dual Time was never re-introduced. Is there not that much demand for a GMT/Dual Time style watch from AP? I feel it definitely filled a gap which is currently missing.....and for myself, who travels frequently, is something I would absolutely love to have in collection. I don't like the 39mm case size of the 26120st though.

What say you all, are others not a huge fan of this piece?

Completely agree with you 100%, I absolutely love the Dual Time and believe the complication definitely has a place in the AP lineup.
Just like you I travel frequently and I find that a GMT/Dual Time has a lot more everyday appeal than other complications currently offered.
I’ve toyed several times with the idea of buying a 26120st (with the silver dial to be precise) on the secondary market and deeply (that’s an understatement) regret not doing so. Beats me that I passed on a couple offered to be at 15/17K mark because I was focused on another acquisition.
While I would love the dual time to be re-introduced in the 39mm, I know it won’t happen. This being said, there is so much room on the dial of a 15510 that I feel it could be a great canvas for the Dual Time.
Let’s see when AP brings these back what they’ll look like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SylvainDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 01:56 AM   #4
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Always a slow seller. I like dual time/gmt watches but never wanted the AP. Never liked the execution personally.
I was into horology, but not the AP world when the dual times were still being sold. Appreciate the insight
Old 25 September 2023, 02:05 AM   #5
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

I agree. One of my favorite complications for the Royal Oak, and given my travel schedule, it would be invaluable. If they re-release I’d be calling my SA ASAP.

Really hope they bring it back. The 26120s are beautiful
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 02:09 AM   #6
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

I like the complication but feel the RO versions are unbalanced. I prefer just the simple, three handed RO’s.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 02:21 AM   #7
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Absolutely, a dual time would be awesome. Coincidentally a few weeks ago, I made my views on the dual time known to my SA, that jokingly that I would insist to be front of the queue if one is issued.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 02:36 AM   #8
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I've looked at the VC Overseas Dual Time as a travel watch multiple times. You could bring the bracelet/leather strap for more formal situations and switch to the rubber strap for more casual times. The WR means you could even take it to the beach or pool (instead of safe or hiding it in the hotel room). I am not sure why, but when I've put it on my wrist, I just liked it, I didn't love it.

So like the OP, I hope AP releases a modern version of the RO dual time. For me, the AP dial texture, case and bracelet are more desirable than the VC. But unlike older versions, they would hopefully upgrade to quick change straps and better WR than typical ROs so that it can be worn full-time.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 08:56 AM   #9
squall1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I've looked at the VC Overseas Dual Time as a travel watch multiple times. You could bring the bracelet/leather strap for more formal situations and switch to the rubber strap for more casual times. The WR means you could even take it to the beach or pool (instead of safe or hiding it in the hotel room). I am not sure why, but when I've put it on my wrist, I just liked it, I didn't love it.

So like the OP, I hope AP releases a modern version of the RO dual time. For me, the AP dial texture, case and bracelet are more desirable than the VC. But unlike older versions, they would hopefully upgrade to quick change straps and better WR than typical ROs so that it can be worn full-time.
Same for me on the VC, can never put it into the "buy" category even though I like it

Adding quick change system to the regular RO line is overdue IMO. It would help justify some of the recent price increases.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 09:11 AM   #10
edo
"TRF" Member

The truth is dual time was very very very slow seller before all that sport watch craziness in which AP can sell all year production in advance and grays can trade at +30% even a RO without hours and seconds hands.

But at these times even Jumbo was slow seller and remember time were with a traditional Turkish Merhaba greeting seller in Istanbul will offer you 25% off perpetual openwork RO in platinum...

So it is not a good time for reference if dual time is needed because AP can sell anything in a sport case these days. Swear to God if they, like they made these artixyxyz edition with fashion designer, made an edition with some famous conceptual artist with some bs philosophy like The time is not in the hands and made them without any hands - hour, minutes or seconds they will sell it over night...
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 11:43 AM   #11
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post

I'm with you on the VC. It has everything on paper, but the Overseas hasn't captured my imagination. And I've tried to let it.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 12:39 PM   #12
rapide66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
I'm with you on the VC. It has everything on paper, but the Overseas hasn't captured my imagination. And I've tried to let it.
I've also wanted to like the VC Overseas but at 41mm its too chucky and the bracelets are too thick; it's unfortunate they don't offer smaller sizes unlike AP RO with ~38mm.
Old 25 September 2023, 02:13 PM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
The truth is dual time was very very very slow seller before all that sport watch craziness in which AP can sell all year production in advance and grays can trade at +30% even a RO without hours and seconds hands.

But at these times even Jumbo was slow seller and remember time were with a traditional Turkish Merhaba greeting seller in Istanbul will offer you 25% off perpetual openwork RO in platinum...

So it is not a good time for reference if dual time is needed because AP can sell anything in a sport case these days. Swear to God if they, like they made these artixyxyz edition with fashion designer, made an edition with some famous conceptual artist with some bs philosophy like The time is not in the hands and made them without any hands - hour, minutes or seconds they will sell it over night...

lol underrated post :) hilarious

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 02:23 PM   #14
7sins
"TRF" Member

A lovely piece in person, would not be surprised if we see a gmt release by end of 2024.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 03:42 PM   #15
s_haverford
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO,OP-36 White
Hope you are right! And I hope it stays as a regular part of the RO line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
A lovely piece in person, would not be surprised if we see a gmt release by end of 2024.
s_haverford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 10:37 PM   #16
creid213
"TRF" Member

I really enjoy the one I picked up earlier this year. Fits nice in my modest collection and my first RO. Like many, a gmt complication is the most useful for me and I enjoy the unorthodox dial. It’s different enough from a traditional 4 hander gmt. AP really has a hole in their catalog since discontinuing.

Cons of the 26120: No second hand, no in house movement, no display case back, short reserve. All easily taken care of by moving to an in house complication.

creid213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 10:37 PM   #17
creid213
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creid213 View Post
I really enjoy the one I picked up earlier this year. Fits nice in my modest collection and my first RO. Like many, a gmt complication is the most useful for me and I enjoy the unorthodox dial. It’s different enough from a traditional 4 hander gmt. AP really has a hole in their catalog since discontinuing.

Cons of the 26120: No second hand, no in house movement, no display case back, short reserve. All easily taken care of by moving to an in house complication.

creid213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 03:50 AM   #18
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Really hope they add a sweeping seconds. And would love to see the AP applied logo but sounds unlikely given the new design language
Old 26 September 2023, 04:43 AM   #19
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creid213 View Post

Cons of the 26120: No second hand, no in house movement, no display case back, short reserve.
This is EXACTLY, all what I’d see them doing, along with upgrade to 41mm case size. Personally I think it would be a home run!! I would immediately add this to my list if they released it, I enjoy the quirkiness of the dial and no symmetry
Old 26 September 2023, 06:06 AM   #20
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
I agree. One of my favorite complications for the Royal Oak, and given my travel schedule, it would be invaluable. If they re-release I’d be calling my SA ASAP.

Really hope they bring it back. The 26120s are beautiful
I forgot to let you know…in the end, I went for it. Loving it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0307.jpeg (266.7 KB, 276 views)
gmtmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 06:31 AM   #21
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtmister View Post
Sheesh congrats! Living up to the username

I love the white particularly in this reference, and it fits you well.
Old 26 September 2023, 08:14 AM   #22
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Another frequent traveller and AP lover. I would 100% buy a new dual time version of the 15510 as my next watch if it were an option. Mine would be steel with the white/silver dial.

However I would use this more for vacations and office meetings with existing business partners, on exploratory business trips I like to be very discreet and avoid obviously high value watches. I am still looking for the right watches for both these roles.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 08:14 AM   #23
ukbbc
"TRF" Member

This watch is powered by JLC movement, same as the Master Geographic but without the city function at the bottom half.

I used to own the MG, it was more like a desk GMT than a true traveller GMT (main hand not slaved to the city).

A more simpler travel GMT could be implemented on an ROO diver with internal 24h ring…

ukbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 06:41 PM   #24
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Sheesh congrats! Living up to the username

I love the white particularly in this reference, and it fits you well.
Much appreciated!

I agree. It was a long process. I owned a 90s 36 blue dial first, and had a chance to see/try the modern black and blue dials, but the white is the one I fell in love with.
gmtmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2023, 01:29 AM   #25
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
That’s the only AP on my shopping list. Jumbo sizing with JLC movement and my most used complication. Best of everything IMO. Congratulations!
Old 2 October 2023, 05:46 AM   #26
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wasn’t feeling this in the blue dial, but this version with white dial is tops!
Not sure how all this would come across using the modern AP design features eg bigger cases, silvery/white dial, and lack of AP logo, but time will tell.
Thanks for sharing.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote