The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2024, 01:35 PM   #1
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
Rolex Platinum Daytona versus Patek grand complication production numbers?

I'm trying to contextualize in terms of guesstimated production numbers the relative rarity of Rolex Daytonas (and Platonas) versus Patek, such as versus perpetual chronographs, steel Nautilus complications, and other models. My more experienced friends continually remind me that Rolex is "mass produced" and there are a million Rolexes made each year versus thousands of Patels. For example, I expressed interest in platinum Day Date 40s, and more experienced friends immediately warned I should not buy these over Patek complications unless one is truly a personal grail and one has made FU money and has zero regard for value retention, because there is a huge supply of Presidenrs and they tend not to retain value.

I understand that Daytona numbers are limited by Rolex, but the total Daytona number is still almost half the total Pateks made in a given year.

I'm wondering if anyone has a guesstimate for platinum Daytonas only, though (or steel only), and a separate guesstimate for the pure icy blue diamond baguette dial (with our the brown circles on the dial, still have no idea why they chose that chocolate brown color).

Then, where might one find guesstimates for production numbers for say the 5905P (platinum annual chronograph), steel Nautius complications (steel models excluding the time only like 5711), or perpetual chronographs only.

I'm trying to understand how rare, for example, a Platona is compared to say a 5905P, purely in terms of production numbers. Again, there are many old threads on this and they all posit that no Rolex is truly rare and even Daytonas are "mass produced", and I'm trying to understand this context with no judgments.

I have no judgments because I'm just trying to understand the perspective of certain collector friends. I appreciate the racing heritage of watches like the Daytona and the Tag Carrera and would love to own one independent of rarity. I also appreciate the dress DNA of Patek and don't consider myself a particularly sporty or outdoorsy person.
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 02:05 PM   #2
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Listen to your more experienced friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 07:55 PM   #3
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
I would guess more platonas are made. Rolex makes a million watches total. PP about 60000
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 02:10 AM   #4
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Yes, and Daytonas are about 20-30,000/year?

How many Daytonas are Platonas, and how many Pateks are at an equal or higher price point to Platonas?
Old 27 May 2024, 02:19 AM   #5
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

This isn’t an apples to apples comparison in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 02:22 AM   #6
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

It's not, but I was curious what the numbers look like, acknowledging that.