The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 December 2009, 11:48 AM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
SHERLOCK HOLMES - Cloak & Dagger stuff goes all Blood & Guts!!

Hi guys,

Little did Sir Arthur Conan Doyle envisage that some day Hollywood would take stock of his favourite detective and turn him into a veritable Bruce Lee!!

However, director Guy Ritchie does a tremendous job of re-creating scenes from the "dark" London days and has 2 of Hollywood's greats - Robert Downey Jr. (Holmes) and Jude Law (Watson) - to give outstanding performances in that age old classic SHERLOCK HOLMES which has opened up with a big bang in cinema houses all over the country.

The action is slick, sound is brain-pounding and Hans Zimmer's pulse-throbbing music sends chills up the viewers spines. Period setting scenes of old London are excellent with some top class Cinematography to enhance all of that.

It's a 2 hour film which moves up and down like a rumbling freight train - the fight scenes are superbly choreographed, a couple of them actually re-enacted in slow motion before the actual fight.....and then shown once more at normal speed, making the viewer already aware of exactly how each blow, punch and kick is delivered.......with the devastating effects all explained well in advance during the slow motion sequences.

Great entertainer, guys. I suppose you could wait for the DVD, but I'm not a DVD kinda guy. I prefer to take my Rolex watches to the movies at all times!!

My rating: 7/10

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 11:50 AM   #2
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
I'll wait for the DVD my friend will copy for me!
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_rocks View Post

Get me a copy too, I prefer sleeping at home.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
JJ, great movie post.

Quick note:
I saw Robert Downey Jr. on an interview (and it escapes me where) implying to the effect Homes and Watson were gay? What is up with that? Nothing in the movie about it? Do tell.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 11:52 AM   #5
snow_rocks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
Lot easier in the big chair!
Old 29 December 2009, 11:52 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetrends View Post
JJ, great movie post.

Quick note:
I saw Robert Downey Jr. on an interview (and it escapes me where) implying to the effect Homes and Watson were gay? What is up with that? Nothing in the movie about it? Do tell.
Nothing like that all in the film, David. They both seemed to have a "glad eye" for the fairer sex and a fair amount of cleavage!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 29 December 2009, 11:53 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_rocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
Lazy bastid tossers!!

Old 29 December 2009, 11:55 AM   #8
Safetrends
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Nothing like that all in the film, David. They both seemed to have a "glad eye" for the fairer sex and a fair amount of cleavage!!
Great I will go see it, it must have been a ploy for Robert Downey Jr. to gain attention he has been a little odd over the years.
Old 29 December 2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Lazy bastid tossers!!

Practical, Master tosser.
Old 29 December 2009, 11:56 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Great I will go see it, it must have been a ploy for Robert Downey Jr. to gain attention he has been a little odd over the years.
The guy looks pretty fit in this film and some of the fight sequences were truly mind-blowing, especially the slow-motion shots!!

Old 29 December 2009, 11:56 AM   #11
snow_rocks
Banned

Quote:
Lazy bastid tossers!!
me middle name!
Old 29 December 2009, 11:58 AM   #12
Idle Swede
Suspended

Oooops, 2 1/2 men now, see you in 30...
Old 29 December 2009, 11:58 AM   #13
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Your reviews are top notch. I enjoy reading them so keep going to the movies buddy. Looks like a lot of quality movies are being released now but I must confess I'm a Blu-Ray type of guy. Sorry bro.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 12:02 PM   #14
Safetrends
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Your reviews are top notch. I enjoy reading them so keep going to the movies buddy. Looks like a lot of quality movies are being released now but I must confess I'm a Blu-Ray type of guy. Sorry bro.
How is Blu-Ray? Is it really that good?
Old 29 December 2009, 12:02 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thanks, Bruno......but I feel that certain movies should ONLY be seen on the big screen - for example AVATAR - definitely NOT for a TV - would ruin all the superb special effects.

JJ

Old 29 December 2009, 12:03 PM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
How is Blu-Ray? Is it really that good?
Blue-Ray is excellent, but for full enhancement, you need a real B-I-G TV, at least 50~52" for full value and effect.

JJ

Old 29 December 2009, 12:09 PM   #17
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
Quote:
Blue-Ray is excellent, but for full enhancement, you need a real B-I-G TV, at least 50~52" for full value and effect.

JJ
I agree w you, some movies can only be appreciated projected onto a movie screen. If you think this is one such, I'll take your word for it. Was kinda looking for a reason to step out with Jessica , but, well you know....

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 12:10 PM   #18
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Thanks, Bruno......but I feel that certain movies should ONLY be seen on the big screen - for example AVATAR - definitely NOT for a TV - would ruin all the superb special effects.

JJ
I agree with you 100% but some people have home theaters that rival the cinemas and then you don't have to put up with people talking on cell phones. My wife and I go to maybe one or two movies a year but I see them all thanks to netflix.
Old 29 December 2009, 12:12 PM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidoc View Post
I agree w you, some movies can only be appreciated projected onto a movie screen. If you think this is one such, I'll take your word for it. Was kinda looking for a reason to step out with Jessica , but, well you know....
You won't be disappointed, David.

In the last week alone, I've seen 3 movies at the cinema houses - AVATAR, The Lovely Bones and this morning Sherlock Holmes.

All 3 were very good entertainers. The wifey and I pay just 6 bucks (NZ $$$) for a ticket, so it's cheap........that's 'cause we get the special R60 card (for guys 60 and over)!!

Old 29 December 2009, 12:14 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I agree with you 100% but some people have home theaters that rival the cinemas and then you don't have to put up with people talking on cell phones. My wife and I go to maybe one or two movies a year but I see them all thanks to netflix.
Talking on Cell phone in a cinema house? Bloody sacrilege in this country!!

Before the movie starts, a slide is put up on the screen requesting people to TURN OFF their cell phones.

If a cell phone rings during the movie, that guy will be physically thrown out!!

Old 29 December 2009, 12:24 PM   #21
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:

Before the movie starts, a slide is put up on the screen requesting people to TURN OFF their cell phones.

If a cell phone rings during the movie, that guy will be physically thrown out!!
They put the same message on the screens here too but some people feel they are better than everyone else.

If its not the cell phones then people are talking to others and they are always sitting right near me. The last time I went to a movie this lady brought her own bag of potato chips and when she was chewing them it sounded like a horse. My wife and I were laughing so hard at her that we stopped paying attention to the movie.

I just dont feel its worth it anymore to go to the movies. Im more comfortable in my own home with my own food and drink. I just have to wait a few months for the movie to be released on blu ray, but we are talking about maybe seeing Avatar this weekend if time permits.
Old 29 December 2009, 12:24 PM   #22
Safetrends
Banned

Quote:

JJ I thought the people of your country was passive and non violent in nature?

:r ofl:
Old 29 December 2009, 12:26 PM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
They put the same message on the screens here too but some people feel they are better than everyone else.

If its not the cell phones then people are talking to others and they are always sitting right near me. The last time I went to a movie this lady brought her own bag of potato chips and when she was chewing them it sounded like a horse. My wife and I were laughing so hard at her that we stopped paying attention to the movie.

I just dont feel its worth it anymore to go to the movies. Im more comfortable in my own home with my own food and drink. I just have to wait a few months for the movie to be released on blu ray, but we are talking about maybe seeing Avatar this weekend if time permits.
That's funny, Bruno!!

I think here the Kiwis are more considerate of others. Even our drivers are good and are usually very thoughtful of other drivers around them. I guess it's a cultural thing.

This is basically a nice, peaceful place to live in - and very, very SAFE too!!

Old 29 December 2009, 12:30 PM   #24
Safetrends
Banned

Quote:
That's funny, Bruno!!

I think here the Kiwis are more considerate of others. Even our drivers are good and are usually very thoughtful of other drivers around them. I guess it's a cultural thing.

You are talking about:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blade%20Runner%20Racheal.jpg (13.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 29 December 2009, 12:31 PM   #25
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
That's funny, Bruno!!

We are not very considerate of each other in America anymore. If you ask the wrong person for the time they may take a swing at you. And as far as drivers being thoughtful of others around them I live in Boston five days a week. Nuff said.
Old 29 December 2009, 12:36 PM   #26
Safetrends
Banned

Quote:
We are not very considerate of each other in America anymore. If you ask the wrong person for the time they may take a swing at you. And as far as drivers being thoughtful of others around them I live in Boston five days a week. Nuff said.
San Diego is an arm pit, no one here knows how to use the proper road signals and lane correctly. I even had one of those new (smart car, dumb person) coffins pull right in front of me and I nearly ran over it.
Old 29 December 2009, 12:41 PM   #27
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:

I just dont feel its worth it anymore to go to the movies. Im more comfortable in my own home with my own food and drink. I just have to wait a few months for the movie to be released on blu ray,
110%...Netflix!
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 12:48 PM   #28
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
San Diego is an arm pit, no one here knows how to use the proper road signals and lane correctly. I even had one of those new (smart car, dumb person) coffins pull right in front of me and I nearly ran over it.
San Diego's no arm pit and I'm sure you have your share of shitty drivers but have you ever driven around Boston. Its not for the faint of heart.
Old 29 December 2009, 12:50 PM   #29
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
San Diego's no arm pit and I'm sure you have your share of shitty drivers but have you ever driven around Boston. Its not for the faint of heart.
WHOA!! In that case, you guys should try drving around Bombay (Mumbai), India.........I challenge even Michael Schumacher or Mika Hakkinen to drive on Indian roads!!

Old 29 December 2009, 12:53 PM   #30
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
WHOA!! In that case, you guys should try drving around Bombay (Mumbai), India.........I challenge even Michael Schumacher or Mika Hakkinen to drive on Indian roads!!
I've never been to India but I have a feeling that I would be in the fetal position after a short while if I tried to drive around there.