The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 January 2019, 03:22 AM   #1
Aceg
"TRF" Member

New to the forum..looking to purchase my first

Hello, I reached a point in my life where I think i want my first big boy watch. My first watch I bought was a couple years ago. It is the movado saphire 0606307. I love this watch, it is very classy but its time for me to take a step forward.

My question is which rolex do you think makes a good first watch? I really like the black no date sub or the blue z milgauss. I only want to purchase it from an AD. The retail seems to be 7500 for the black sub but for some reason they are listed online for more?

If i were to go to a local AD, do they offer any discounts of any sort? If it helps I would probably be going when my parents are going too. They plan to drop up to 70k for a pair of rolexes. I would like to use that oppurtunity to take advantage of a discount if its even offered for a multiple buy.

All 3 of us are first time rolex buyers
Aceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 09:35 AM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Hey Aceg, welcome to the forum. The reason that some watches are more on line is that there is a high demand for them. The Sub is much more popular than the Milgauss. If you like the Milgauss you should be able to find it relatively easily through an AD. Not so with the Sub. You might even get a discount on the Milgauss if you try. Buying with your parents might make it easier to get the Sub also.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 09:37 AM   #3
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Definitely buy 3 together. Might get you some hard to get pieces.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 09:54 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum. A ”threefor” will definitely help increase your chances of getting a Submariner. That’s th3 reference I’d start with personally.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Aceg
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. Im just really torn between those 2 watches. I will definitely buy with the parents. Any idea how much the sub or milgauss can be had for? I want to buy new.
Old 3 January 2019, 10:09 AM   #6
tyncam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 116500
Welcome to the forum...

The Sub is a great first watch - have you also considered the Explorer?
tyncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 10:09 AM   #7
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceg View Post
Thanks guys. Im just really torn between those 2 watches. I will definitely buy with the parents. Any idea how much the sub or milgauss can be had for? I want to buy new.
They will both be at retail, and should be buyable if your parents spend a lot too, however what if they don't have it in but can get it? Probably best not to trust them and only buy the three at the same time. I'd go for the Sub.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 10:25 AM   #8
billylimwk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello, I reached a point in my life where I think i want my first big boy watch. My first watch I bought was a couple years ago. It is the movado saphire 0606307. I love this watch, it is very classy but its time for me to take a step forward.

My question is which rolex do you think makes a good first watch? I really like the black no date sub or the blue z milgauss. I only want to purchase it from an AD. The retail seems to be 7500 for the black sub but for some reason they are listed online for more?

If i were to go to a local AD, do they offer any discounts of any sort? If it helps I would probably be going when my parents are going too. They plan to drop up to 70k for a pair of rolexes. I would like to use that oppurtunity to take advantage of a discount if its even offered for a multiple buy.

All 3 of us are first time rolex buyers
I will definitely get the sub. Its an all time classic
billylimwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Pacc12
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Welcome. The sub will be a great idea for a start.
Pacc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 11:13 AM   #10
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
What do your parents want? If they want gold DayDates or the like you'll likely get a sub also. If you go in asking for a Sub, a SS Daytona, and a BLRO you'll get none of them.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 11:23 AM   #11
Genevapics
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I would first ask what is the purpose of the watch? Outside of telling the time, is there any special functions that you need? Date? 2nd Time Zone?

I would agree with many here that a submariner or submariner date would be a great first watch. But there are others also. Try as many on as you can and then decide.

Buying from an AD for your first is probably the best way to go and an experience you should undertake at least once in your watch buying lifetime.

My first big boy watch was a Speedmaster Professional; my second a Submariner. Have fun deciding and enjoy the ride. As many here will tell you, the watch game can be a slippery slope.
Old 3 January 2019, 11:40 AM   #12
MinMay
Banned

It's a subjective question. It's simple bro...buy what makes you happy. Women doesn't like indecisive men :)
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:04 PM   #13
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Spend a bit of time on the forums and try to understand what the current market is like. It's weird, but you can't just buy any watch you want from an AD, they are all sold to big fish. There's watches that are in demand which fetch a higher price on the open market, while other don't. Just compare the price differences and you'll soon get an understanding of which ones are popular etc.

You are in luck with your parents also wanting to spend money, AD's often offer bundle deals for a low demand watch with a high demand watch.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:15 PM   #14
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
If they are gonna spend 70k you can get a more in demand watch. Get a submariner LV (hulk) or gmt BLNR (Batman) both pieces sell for a few grand above MSRP on the grey market and would make a great first watch imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 12:22 PM   #15
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
If your parents are spending 70k, then chances are the dealer will find a sub for you. In fact it might be a good idea to make the 70k purchase conditional on them providing the watch you want.

One thing you need to be sure of is what watch you really want. If you are still not sure, you may wish to wait. You do not want to end up with something that you are not happy with.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 01:01 PM   #16
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Hi and welcome! It’s a nice feeling to be going after that first watch and the two options you mentioned will certainly be attainable especially if your parents are purchasing something as well... unless your parents are after steel Daytona’s or something
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 02:25 PM   #17
Aceg
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I just want to make sure I do not end up with a watch I will regret getting. Honestly I am leaning towards more to the milguass over the sub however i do not want to pass up the oppurtunity of having a chance at a more desirable watch due to the circumstance that my parents are buying too.

Im gonna take my time and like someone said here, really research each watch and thier market value and decide which watch i personally want. I also have no plans of ever selling my watch or watches for an upgrade. Not that it wont happen but no plans to. Thanks for the welcome and the solid advice
Old 3 January 2019, 02:36 PM   #18
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Welcome!!

Go for the sub. Also it is not impossible to find a sub no date, it’s not a SS Daytona or even SubC date for that matter Definitely try and buy with the parents if possible.

I would start out by calling ADs not in NYC. Be completely honest what you’re looking for, have done your research, and now understand the current state of the market. You could probably get lucky by going out and visiting a couple too.

Back in March I walked into my AD and bought a SubC date. I have a small family history there, but honestly got the watch because I was very honest and straight forward with them.
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 04:45 PM   #19
mosanman
"TRF" Member

The SubC is definitely the more desirable out of the two you have mentioned, and it would be the one I personally would go for.

However, saying that, you really do need to try them both on and see which "sings" to you.
I was in two minds between a GMTC and the SubC. When I looked at pictures online and on instagram, my heart was set on the Sub.
Went to the AD and tried both on and I preferred the GMT. It just suited my wrist better and the Sub seemed to wear too big.

Have you considered the Explorer I 214270? Great looking watch and much easier to obtain from an AD than a Sub.
mosanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 04:54 PM   #20
Punishher7
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC/Pelagos
My vote is for the sub. I have been wearing mine daily for almost 4 years now and it doesn’t get old. I’ve tried others but always go back to the sub. It’s an iconic design that can be worn with virtually anything.

Punishher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 05:06 PM   #21
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I would highly recommend a Submariner either date or sans. Explorer2 42mm also is superb. Milgauss is nice also - that Z Blue is pretty cool.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 06:13 PM   #22
bowsersdaddy
"TRF" Member

Try the Reference 14060, 16600 or any of their modern variants (114060, 116600, 126600). This is what i came down to and i ultimately decided on the 16600. Its a sub but with so much more character.. whereas the 14060 has the beautiful proportions of the Sub but with a much more simpler dial and no date so keeps the servicing costs down
bowsersdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 10:02 PM   #23
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I just want to make sure I do not end up with a watch I will regret getting. Honestly I am leaning towards more to the milguass over the sub however i do not want to pass up the oppurtunity of having a chance at a more desirable watch due to the circumstance that my parents are buying too.

Im gonna take my time and like someone said here, really research each watch and thier market value and decide which watch i personally want. I also have no plans of ever selling my watch or watches for an upgrade. Not that it wont happen but no plans to. Thanks for the welcome and the solid advice
Usually I'd say go for the one you want most but I'd go for the Sub first here and if it's not for you then it's an easy swap for the Millie, but not the other way around.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 10:24 PM   #24
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Welcome and happy hunting!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 10:26 PM   #25
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I think you should consider the BLRO GMT and the Daytona white dial.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 12:16 AM   #26
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Welcome...hard to beat a sub for your first. Good luck!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 05:30 AM   #27
mas12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Welcome and congrats in advance. You're in a unique situation that should get you a desirable SS model.

I agree that you should go with the iconic Sub as your first. It's more versatile and better daily than the milgauss with its PCLs and bezel.

Best of luck, make sure to keep us posted!

Rolex SubC 116610LN
mas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 07:14 AM   #28
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:

Miguass is not difficult to get. Was at my AD this morning and they had a black dial in the case.

I’m not saying to buy an in demand piece just because it’s hard to get, just saying you don’t need your parents purchase to get the milguass.

4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 07:35 AM   #29
Room 101
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Personally... I'm in a similar dilemma to you. I'm due to purchase my first Rolex very soon and I'm struggling to make the final call...

But I'm going with my gut. I suggest you do the same. If your heart pulls you towards one, don't logic it. Go with what your "heart" wants really...

I've not had it with watches but I did it with a car... I bought the practical version when the heart wanted the sports... eventually I sold the practical at a loss and got the sports...
Room 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 10:27 AM   #30
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I tried to post this last night, but my iPad died before I could submit...

Assuming the $70k your parents are spending is 2 PM watches, here is how I would approach.

Let the AD know that you will be buying 3 watches as a set, 2 PM which you would like to request a 20% discount on and one SS (your watch) that you’ll pay full retail. Let the AD know this is a package deal. I.e. your family wants all the watches at one time to celebrate together. Don’t be afraid to say you’ll wait for what you want, but do not put a deposit down unless the AD provides a date when watches will arrive (which they won’t)

My bet is that you settle on > or = 10% discount on the 2 PM watches and will easily get the sub or milguass that you want. If you’re able to save 10% on your parents watches, you’ll be effectively covering the cost of your own watch and who doesn’t love a free Rolex :-)

Some additional advice:
- I see you’re in NY. If that’s NYC I recommend you get out of the city and head to NJ, CT, or upstate. This will improve your chances of success on all angles
- you may want to consider something a little more hard to get than a basic sub. Maybe a green sub or blro/BLNR gmt.... you can always come back to the sub or milguass if the AD declines and it will appear that you’re both giving concessions in the deal (and that’s fair business)

Good luck and enjoy! Remember, you’re the one spending ~$80k on watches here. ~$30k of that is AD retail margin. That isn’t a sale most ADs make everyday so don’t forget that the AD should cater to you on this one.... there’s always another AD if you run into one that’s not receptive

Others may disagree with some (or all) of what I say here, but I stand by it 100%

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote