The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 December 2019, 05:50 AM   #1
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Survivor for the Holidays

Just picked this up yesterday and I am really thrilled with this find. I actually recall in 08 when the Survivor was released but the details were foggy as I am sure most, like me, were distracted navigating the financial crisis. Funny that I thought the piece was met with negativity but when searching reviews from 08-09 they seem mostly positive and the edition of 1000 pieces seems to have sold out immediately even at that time. Even stranger to me is that the piece seems to have fallen between the cracks since that time as I never see or hear anything about them at all. For me it was perfect as I was looking for something stealthy and and unique and a dealer I work with regularly didn't even present it to me, I actually was sorting through their recent inventory photos and when I swiped to the Survivor I immediately stopped and said "Wow, where are you hiding this?" Ten minutes later I took it home.

Everything from the massive over the top presentation case and accessories to the unique design and being a true limited edition, this was exactly what I wanted. Wore it all day yesterday and it really does fly under the radar well but when it is spotted, people seem to really take interest. Absolutely no one had a clue what it was and those who knew the brand asked what they cost and all guessed it was at least $80k or more before I told them. I feel if this was released today, they probably would be in that price range and would still sell out immediately. Relargless really love this pickup and exploring some aftermarket straps to switch things up a bit and also like that it takes a standard ROO 42 size so there are many options. I'll update when I decide on one.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 06:02 AM   #2
ufboy73
Banned

Huge congrats on a killer, unique piece!
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 06:20 AM   #3
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Wow, thats a great piece. Congrats
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 06:21 AM   #4
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Love it.

I lived in LA for a while, it was where I bought my first AP and it is one of the only places that I've been where spotting AP's and Birkins whilst at lunch can be somewhat of a game.

In all my time there I only ever saw one Survivor, it was hard to miss, but had so much wrist presence to it.

Roll on down to the Luxe, grab a coffee and wait for the tourists to photo the cars and then I bet your Survivor will get as much attention. It's almost a re-birth or a pseudo new model to most people as they'll never have seen one before.

Kudos and enjoy.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 06:38 AM   #5
Burlington
"TRF" Member

This is a very cool piece !

The amount of detail on it is super.

Great to see the mega tapisserie dial with pantograph marks in between the waffles. I was told by someone in the know at AP that even the smooth dial mega tapisserie dials are still engraved using this technique but then the ‘grooves’ are covered with paint to give the smooth finish but really like the engraved visual effect on the older style dials.

They must have had to produce a lot of unique components for this model.

Enjoy wearing often !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 06:58 AM   #6
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
This is a very cool piece !

The amount of detail on it is super.

Great to see the mega tapisserie dial with pantograph marks in between the waffles. I was told by someone in the know at AP that even the smooth dial mega tapisserie dials are still engraved using this technique but then the ‘grooves’ are covered with paint to give the smooth finish but really like the engraved visual effect on the older style dials.

They must have had to produce a lot of unique components for this model.

Enjoy wearing often !

That dial is amazing. The entire piece is so unique!
Old 26 December 2019, 07:25 AM   #7
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Thx for the comments all. I have a feeling the rest of the collection will be hibernating for a while. Really enjoying this one.

Happy Holidays to all
Old 26 December 2019, 09:56 AM   #8
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Wow! Congratulations! It looks great

That photo really brings out the amazing amount of detail on the dial.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:54 AM   #9
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post

Just picked this up yesterday and I am really thrilled with this find. I actually recall in 08 when the Survivor was released but the details were foggy as I am sure most, like me, were distracted navigating the financial crisis. Funny that I thought the piece was met with negativity but when searching reviews from 08-09 they seem mostly positive and the edition of 1000 pieces seems to have sold out immediately even at that time. Even stranger to me is that the piece seems to have fallen between the cracks since that time as I never see or hear anything about them at all. For me it was perfect as I was looking for something stealthy and and unique and a dealer I work with regularly didn't even present it to me, I actually was sorting through their recent inventory photos and when I swiped to the Survivor I immediately stopped and said "Wow, where are you hiding this?" Ten minutes later I took it home.

Everything from the massive over the top presentation case and accessories to the unique design and being a true limited edition, this was exactly what I wanted. Wore it all day yesterday and it really does fly under the radar well but when it is spotted, people seem to really take interest. Absolutely no one had a clue what it was and those who knew the brand asked what they cost and all guessed it was at least $80k or more before I told them. I feel if this was released today, they probably would be in that price range and would still sell out immediately. Relargless really love this pickup and exploring some aftermarket straps to switch things up a bit and also like that it takes a standard ROO 42 size so there are many options. I'll update when I decide on one.
Really cool piece never seen or heard about it but love it.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 01:17 PM   #10
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Love love love! One of my all time favorites! Congratulations!
Old 28 December 2019, 02:16 PM   #11
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
This is one to hold on for life...it looks even better with some wear and tear...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 09:30 AM   #12
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Spectacular. I didn’t even know such a timepiece existed, thanks for sharing and wear in good health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 09:33 AM   #13
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
Congrats! That is one bad ass case!
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 12:02 PM   #14
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

BEAUTIFUL Congratulations
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 12:06 PM   #15
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

wow! congrats again!

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 03:09 PM   #16
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Killer find and a GREAT reference!! Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 11:44 AM   #17
singaporepatek
Banned

Survivor for the Holidays

I had survivor and got rid of it. Went back to AP for warranty 3 times for various issues...very inaccurate and could never be regulated, the Chrono would never reset to 0, and Chrono was running 2 seconds fast, pusher fell off...the watch was total junk. I also have friend with survivor that had same issues but he kept it because he likes how it looks. After 3rd time for warranty service and none of the issues being fixed except a new pusher I demanded boutique take it back and I bought a offshore bumblebee instead. Cool looking watch but it definitely wouldn’t survive any harsh use.
singaporepatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 04:47 PM   #18
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporepatek View Post
I had survivor and got rid of it. Went back to AP for warranty 3 times for various issues...very inaccurate and could never be regulated, the Chrono would never reset to 0, and Chrono was running 2 seconds fast, pusher fell off...the watch was total junk. I also have friend with survivor that had same issues but he kept it because he likes how it looks. After 3rd time for warranty service and none of the issues being fixed except a new pusher I demanded boutique take it back and I bought a offshore bumblebee instead. Cool looking watch but it definitely wouldn’t survive any harsh use.
Sorry to hear about your horrible experience. Mine runs perfectly and hopefully stays that way. Will definitely post if there are any issues.
Old 2 January 2020, 11:24 AM   #19
Gravity
"TRF" Member

I have to say I am really loving this piece. It's now my official hiking watch as well as my everyday goto. So versatile.