The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 May 2024, 09:26 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Ripley...

Ripley, is a Netflix remake of THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY that came out in 1999 staring Matt Damon, Jude Law, and Gwyneth Paltrow and an earlier version a few years previously, all from a series of books by Patricia Highsmith.

This version is 8 hours of moody, film noir, black and white, shot entirely in Italy.

And this is the scene stealing cat, who made me forget I don't even like cats.

I actually loved this version of the story, and a lot of years ago I read all the books.

Maybe check it out...

This is a pretty good write up on it but SPOILER ALERT, if you don't know the story.

https://www.rappler.com/entertainmen...lix-interview/
Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

The trailer....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE0byWSKp0E&t=62s

Steve Zazillian the guy directing and wrote all eight episodes won an Oscar for penning Schindler’s List. He also wrote American Gangster, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Irishman, Moneyball, Mission Impossible, Hannibal, and Gangs of New York!
Old Yesterday, 01:08 AM   #3
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Tbh I thought it was better than the film plus they have left it open for another series
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM   #4
7sins
"TRF" Member

Maybe it is just me but I thought the original film was SO much better than this series. Made it half way through the series and couldn't finish it. Also the characters are way too old in the series.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Maybe it is just me but I thought the original film was SO much better than this series. Made it half way through the series and couldn't finish it. Also the characters are way too old in the series.
Before we watched this Netflix series we went back and watched the movie and although I liked is as much as I remembered, I found the Netflix series was a great but different experience.

The B&W (black and white), the paced meticulous crafting of every scene, the photographic beauty where every scene could have been a classy photograph, and the understated tension and dread that B&W brought to it made it very Hitchcock-ian to me.

I find, its almost that you can't compare the different versions as they can both stand alone. (although most people will compare them)

You mention the age differences between the 2 versions but I didn't find the premise of the story absolutely needed an early 20 cast since the main character with a trust fund, could still be wandering Europe (looking for themselves) into their 30s.

This is an interesting interview with the cast, and the director talks about the black and white aspects, where he mentions that the story was from late 1950s where most films were black and white and Patricia Highsmith the author wrote meticulous characters and mood, and the director felt he needed the 8 hours to mirror her style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDUomVBYoO4
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM   #6
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Loved the film; really enjoyed the series. They are very different, but both are very good on their own.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The original and best film version was Purple Noon (aka Plein Soleil), with Alain Delon as Ripley. That was in colour, and released in 1960. It seems a shame to have a TV series set on the Amalfi Coast in black and white, especially digital black and white, which looked rather flat to me, almost like it was filmed on an iPhone with Noir filter added afterwards.
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The original and best film version was Purple Noon (aka Plein Soleil), with Alain Delon as Ripley. That was in colour, and released in 1960. It seems a shame to have a TV series set on the Amalfi Coast in black and white, especially digital black and white, which looked rather flat to me, almost like it was filmed on an iPhone with Noir filter added afterwards.
I'll have to check out that version.
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #9
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Taken as a 'stand-alone' product, I think this B&W version works particularly well.
I agree with all of Blansky's comments above. It is a bit of a visual feast.
When he buys that big heavy glass ashtray, you know where it is going...

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I'll have to check out that version.
I have the Criterion Blu-ray, which is a good-quality transfer with some interesting extras: https://www.criterion.com/films/27810-purple-noon
Old Today, 01:10 AM   #11
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I have the Criterion Blu-ray, which is a good-quality transfer with some interesting extras: https://www.criterion.com/films/27810-purple-noon
That's one of the nice things about buying various media after the film has been in theaters, where you sometimes get directors or actors interviews/comments and background on the movies usually because it's a while after the fact.

Directors cuts are sometimes fun to see as well since the nitwits at the studio will sometimes be in charge of the final cut, and screw up the directors 'vision'.