The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2010, 11:30 PM   #1
prospective buyer
"TRF" Member

Please help: Hong Kong Purchase

Hi,

I am new to the forums and moved to Hong Kong a week ago. I will be here for a few more months, and I want to purchase my first nice watch, a Datejust.

I looked around the forums and havnt seen any definitive, recent posts regarding buying in HK vs in the States.

I was at a few ADs, and they all offered 8 percent off, but after the 8 percent off, the price seems similar to what I am seeing on this site: http://www.swissluxury.com/rolex-wat...e-bracelet.htm

Can anyone tell me if the prices on that site are in line with what I could expect to pay at a dealer in New York? If so, it seems like I should probably just wait until i return to the states right?

Any help would be great
prospective buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2010, 12:20 AM   #2
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Hi welcome to this forum.
In the states, you can expect around 15% discount.
I have never been to HK... but my friends were all just there for winter break. They told me the same thing, the dealers are easy to give 8%. However, if you bargain harder they will do more.
Have you consider buying from this forum? there are lots of reputable sellers here. I am sure you can find a much better deal then in an AD.
Buying a slightly used DJ could be a better financial decision too... let someone else take that hit of depreciation. Good luck~
Hope you come back and post some pics when you make your purchase.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2010, 12:26 AM   #3
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

You can get 8% off in HK (or more, if you bargain hard) and also pay no sales tax, so the savings is greater than 8%.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2010, 12:34 AM   #4
inspires
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
The MSRP here in Hong Kong is a little lower than that of the US, and indeed there are no taxes here. The norm is 8% off at AD's if you bargain with them. I can get 11-13% off sport models at my AD and a heftier discount on non-sport models.

Drop me a line when you've decided on which model and when you're ready to buy and I will point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 5 May 2010, 01:42 AM   #5
prospective buyer
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have any advice on how to bargain at an AD to get more than the standard 8%?
prospective buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2010, 02:13 AM   #6
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Offer to pay cash, instead of using a credit card. It also helps if you know someone at an AD. Last time I was shopping in HK, I was offered 9% off MSRP without bargaining much, so if you bargain hard and really intend to buy if the price is right, you should be able to do better than I did.

This is HK, so bargain hard (I'm sure you know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospective buyer View Post
Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have any advice on how to bargain at an AD to get more than the standard 8%?
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2010, 08:18 AM   #7
arabesque
"TRF" Member

Watch: dd
Go to as many Authorized Rolex Dealers as your time will permit. You can see the Authorized Dealer sign either on the showcase window or posted elsewhere in the store. Take note of how much the SRP of the watch you like.

Compute beforehand how much you will offer. If the watch you want is like HKD $100,000 and you want to buy it for 25% less, offer cash for HKD $75,000. Some stores like to rake in more sales before they close for the day, so after your shopping around, go back to the store you saw what you like and make an offer. You have to honor your offer as they get mad if you walk away after you offer, so start low. Don't be embarrassed to get a rejection, just move on. There are lots of Authorized Dealers so you might get lucky with one. Bargaining is what it's all about except on Department stores.

Just like car buying in the states, you should have plenty of time to do your shopping. Good Luck
arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote