The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2010, 04:23 AM   #1
prc117f

Noob looking at buying first rolex.

I have a few questions regarding buying my first Rolex. I really like the Green Rolex Submariner (Green Bezel and face) But I am not sure if that is even produced or for sale anymore.

Anyhow here it goes.

#1 I noticed that the majority of the Authorized dealers are typical chain jewelers. I am never a fan of big chains, usually its some teenager with a few hours of training and poor service. Does rolex have its own employees managing such affairs or is it your regular poorly trained hourly employee.

#2 Is the purchase process just pay MSRP and go, or is there room to haggle. I do not mind paying a fair value for something but at the same time I do not like walking blind into negotiations and paying above and beyond fair value. What is the typical cost of a new rolex, ie: Steel green or blue?

#3 What is the typical buying experience and what should I expect when purchasing one?

#4 What are some of the pitfalls to look for when buying one.

Thanks.
prc117f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 04:26 AM   #2
snog
"TRF" Member

welcome,all good questions but I'll not answer as I'm in the same boat as you
snog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 04:29 AM   #3
Clay
Banned

My advice...

Do your research...And purchased used....
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 04:31 AM   #4
gimpex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C LV / Exp II
Welcome....

I am pretty new too , but can help - others will come soon

The watch you are referring to is recently released , 116610LV. The previous version , without the first 1 , had a black face and green bezel.

As far as price is concerned on that watch ,there are seperate threads you can look up , but I think general agreement is that while the green is still limited in some areas of the world it is becoming more available and therefore 1) premiums above MSRP are gone and 2) discounts on the black are coming soon if not already hear and green will follow sooner rather than later.

Regarding experience from AD I cant comment , as I have bought only from grey ( and in process of actively looking to buy from one of the trusted sellers here )

Good luck with the purchase !

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc117f View Post
I have a few questions regarding buying my first Rolex. I really like the Green Rolex Submariner (Green Bezel and face) But I am not sure if that is even produced or for sale anymore.

Anyhow here it goes.

#1 I noticed that the majority of the Authorized dealers are typical chain jewelers. I am never a fan of big chains, usually its some teenager with a few hours of training and poor service. Does rolex have its own employees managing such affairs or is it your regular poorly trained hourly employee.

#2 Is the purchase process just pay MSRP and go, or is there room to haggle. I do not mind paying a fair value for something but at the same time I do not like walking blind into negotiations and paying above and beyond fair value. What is the typical cost of a new rolex, ie: Steel green or blue?

#3 What is the typical buying experience and what should I expect when purchasing one?

Thanks.
gimpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 04:32 AM   #5
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Do your research...And purchased used....
Agree and disagree...I was able to get roughly 23% off retail on my new GMT IIc...used ones seem to be selling for around the same price. No need to purchase used when new ones can be had for such a discount.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 04:34 AM   #6
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:

Anyhow here it goes.

Thanks.
#1 You have to look real hard to find the good employees at many ADs; but they are there to be found. But why anyway? Do your research first, and you'll soon know more than they do anyway.

#2 Haggle away. 10-25% off seems typical when you find one that will. It depends on the watch. Gold models tend to discount more than steel sports do.

#3 Experience? Well, you give them money, they give you a watch! Make sure you get all the stuff, box, papers, etc.

#4 Pitfalls are paying too much! An AD guarantees authentic Rolex, but there are much better deals here and elsewhere. Shop the seller first, then look for the watch.

Welcome to TRF, btw, the green bezel and face watch is a brand new model, it just hit stores a few months ago. It'll be around a while.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 04:36 AM   #7
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
n.1 : stick to this forum for a while and you'll find yourself capable of training those kids( been there)

n.2 chain jewelers usually have fixed prices and thay must stick to that and not above. You can work on some discounts at independent retailers or even bigger discounts on the grey market

n.3 if it's the first Rolex you're buying I still remember how proud I was when I bought my first one 10 years ago with my hard earned money. It's a lifetime experience. Then I started to buy on the grey market and the emotional part has been lost. I do actually like better to buy from AD for a miriade of reasons. Just make sure they give you all the boxes,papers and the such.

n.4. Again do your homework,study the watch before buying it and once you step into the AD keep emotions on a side.
What I always do when I enter an AD is ask to see a Rolex model naming it after it's reference number,something 99% of ADs are not familiar with. This way I always make a clear statement about the fact that I know what I'm talking about.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 04:37 AM   #8
RolexguyinSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
1) Yes, usually somewhat poorly trained salespeople. It's really best to educate yourself here about the watches, rather than waste your time in the store. Often the AD salespeople are incorrect with their information. Look for a smaller Rolex AD when you're ready to buy.

2) Usually it's MSRP, but in this economy I think you could get a little off. Gold watches, you can get a discount, gold / steel, a little discount, all steel usually none. BUT you lose nothing by asking for one!

3) Usually pushy arrogant salespeople, that's why it's best to walk in, tell them you want a 116610 for example, tell them you'll pay 5% off, and go from there. Don't take any grief from them. Otherwise walk away.

4) Pitfalls: check to make sure you're getting a new watch, not a customer return (warranty card should be blank), make sure you get the box, polishing cloth, both bookelets, warranty card, red hang tag, green hang tag, a bezel protector (if the model has it), and make sure all the links are in the bracelet. Again ask questions here first about a specific model . Most AD's will offer a two or three year extended warranty for free, sometimes free polishing for life. Other than that you should be ok.
RolexguyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 04:38 AM   #9
Matrim604
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Anyhow here it goes.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!

If you're looking for the green bezel with green face Sub, then you're looking for the current ceramic version, as the older style LV has a black face.

1) It's true most ADs are high end jewellery chains, but the high end part usually does mean (at least in my experience) that the staff are generally professional and knowledgable. I have heard many examples where this is not the case, and if you find you're not happy with your sales person, no harm in asking for another, or finding another AD. Perhaps someone else from the Miami area can recommend a good AD. We also have some trusted sellers here on TRF that live in the Miami area (DavidSW and Bodybump if I remember correctly?), you'll probably be able to get a much better deal going through them.

2) Many ADs will say they don't give discounts on Rolex, especially to first time buyers, but it shouldn't be too hard to get between 10-20% discounts depending on the model.

3 / 4) Just make sure you try the watch on first, and you're sure it's the watch for you. Any Rolex AD should treat you like a king, and if they don't, then go somewhere else. Good luck watch hunting, and be sure to come back and post some pictures when it's all done!
Old 24 October 2010, 04:48 AM   #10
EchoBlueUK
"TRF" Member

Go to an independent AD and negotiate a 20% discount. Reduces the risk if anything goes wrong with the deal or the watch and 20% discounts can be had with a little negotiation and persistence (even on SS sports models). Good luck!
EchoBlueUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 04:50 AM   #11
gimpex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C LV / Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoBlueUK View Post
Go to an independent AD and negotiate a 20% discount. Reduces the risk if anything goes wrong with the deal or the watch and 20% discounts can be had with a little negotiation and persistence (even on SS sports models). Good luck!
OP is specifically looking for Sub C Green - 20 % ???
gimpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 05:38 AM   #12
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The best deal you're probably gonna get is from a respected seller on here. Have you checked out the for sale section yet?
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 05:46 AM   #13
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:

I'm not sure if Rolex actually have a single "own" store....? There's usually the chain type stores that are Rolex Authorized Dealers. Bunch of grey dealers, and online dealers too. TRF has several trusty "BNIB" sellers.

Quote:
Don't pay MSRP. There's always room for a little bargaining. Depending on how good you are at it, expect 5-35% depending on model. Gold models = big discounts. Steel sports versions 5-15%... The new LV (green) submariner might be a bit difficult to get a good discount. (Sought after)

Quote:
Nothing much. IMHO a 5-10K purchase is not something that calls for confetti...

Quote:
Be careful online, "scambay", forget it. Use the trusted sellers on TRF if you want to buy online. At an AD, you can only get fooled at not getting a discount. If you buy used, make sure it's all original. (difficult when you are new to Rolex) If a local used deal, make the transaction at a Rolex AD, have them appraise the watch.

Good luck, Rolex is an awesome watch!!!
Old 24 October 2010, 05:53 AM   #14
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

The black ceramic sub seems to be more easily available
than the green ceramic model. It may be more difficult
to get a discount on the green model. You may be able to
get the GMTIIC more heavily discounted and get the 2nd time
zone feature Rolex for less.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 06:08 AM   #15
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Welcome.

All your questions can be answered by going to the FS section here. There are plenty of reputable sellers that can find you either a 16610LV or 116610LV.

Good Luck!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 12:29 PM   #16
prc117f

Thanks for the detailed responses. I will definitely look more at an independent AD though, I prefer dealing with a smaller business than some big indifferent chain. I will read up and get educated since I am not a watch expert.
prc117f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 09:24 PM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Look on TRF for sale section. There is one from a very respected seller here. It is priced reasonably as he always does...Best of luck.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 10:00 PM   #18
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Knowledge across various dealers will vary, however the AD where I go has a person although he has only been selling watches for a couple of years has collected watches for years, He has over 60 watches and vast amount of experience. I doubt very much that you would find someone like him everywhere.

I suggest you do your research so that you can be comfortable with your purchase, becaause although the person I buy from is real knowledgeable it is incumbent on me to make sure I have done my research to make sure I am comfortable with my purchase
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 10:33 PM   #19
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:

Anyhow here it goes.

Thanks.
1. Search out a locally owned AD. They are out there and are more willing to negotiate and have better product knowledge...IMO. Or purchase from a TRF seller.

2. If you buy at a chain store yes, a "mom and pop" AD should work with you for at least 10% off on a SS sports model like a Sub. A new ceramic sub or GMT retails for around $7,250. the "green", about $7,750. The "Blue" is actually a white gold sub and they are $30K.

3. A smile and handshake....that's about it

4. Letting the AD talk you into something that you don't want. Believing them when they say Rolex wont let us do this or that. Buying of off eBay is not recommended IMO.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 10:37 PM   #20
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazo View Post
The best deal you're probably gonna get is from a respected seller on here. Have you checked out the for sale section yet?
I agree !!

Go to an AD and try the watches u like, as for the price, look around and definately here on TRF there are respected sellers who can do better in price.
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2010, 07:32 AM   #21
Z06

Watch: 116713 - V
If one buys (BNIB/LNIB) from one of the "good guys" here at TRF, do they stand behind the sale; if for some reason it is flawed in some way, or are you on your owne to warranty it out?
Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote