The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 August 2011, 03:25 AM   #1
janton

box and papers

I am looking at buying a pre owned rolex, what should i be looking for as it pertains to box and papers - ie warranty card, anything else?

thanks!
janton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 03:37 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janton View Post
I am looking at buying a pre owned rolex, what should i be looking for as it pertains to box and papers - ie warranty card, anything else?

thanks!
Well for me the most important is the watch if the warranty is not current then its just a bit of paper or card.If no service history with the watch and its say roughly 5 years or older it would be wise to budget for a service.Then you will get Rolex service papers and a two year current warranty.If its got box and papers well thats fine but for me the most important is condition of watch.Now when buying used just because its got a box and papers don't always mean its a genuine watch.The papers are the most easy to fake and boxes can be bought on net, so do your homework on seller and buy only from a reliable source.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 04:58 AM   #3
janton

any thoughts on legitimacy of this watch, what i should be looking for? thanks, first time buyer

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Sea-Dwelle...item336a56e322
Old 11 August 2011, 05:15 AM   #4
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
any thoughts on legitimacy of this watch, what i should be looking for? thanks, first time buyer

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Sea-Dwelle...item336a56e322
Looks ok to me, but... It's eBay.
chiko323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 05:19 AM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Buy the seller. Ebay or not, you are going to be spending a bit of money, make sure you buy it from someone you can trust. Go the distance, and make sure you getting what you are paying for.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 08:20 AM   #6
mg1

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:

Like everyone says, buy the seller, not the watch. I think eBay is great because you can readily see feedback from others who have dealt with him. In the case of this seller, he has been on eBay since 2005. That's a good sign. He has 1,404 feedback, 99% of which is positive. That's another good sign. He recently sold several expensive watches and received positive feedback. Check. Best of all, he offers a 3 day money back guarantee. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of the watch, take it to a local watchmaker who can open it and tell you whether or not it's the real deal.

It's popular to bash eBay on watch fora, but if you do your research, it's as safe as it gets on the used market.
mg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 09:40 AM   #7
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Just me. I would be cautious. The pictures appear to stock photos, and it's Ebay.

I could be wrong. Just be cautious.

Old 11 August 2011, 09:57 AM   #8
greg peterson
"TRF" Member

Just bought mine today from and AD. I feel totally confident in the service I will receive in the future. That mean a lot to me.
greg peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 09:57 AM   #9
janton

where do you guys recommend buying preowned, I understand ebay can be a bit sketchy at times for large ticket items but I do not want to overpay by $1k at a jeweler, no offense to jewelers out there but I do not necessarily trust them either
Old 11 August 2011, 09:59 AM   #10
GOB
"TRF" Member

Search in the for sale section here and research the sellers. There are a few sellers here that have received many positive reviews. As stated before, buy the seller, not the watch.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 10:04 AM   #11
janton

Sounds like an AD with certified pre-owned stock is best bet...
Old 11 August 2011, 12:09 PM   #12
nat120
"TRF" Member

My opinion is to buy from a well known seller that sells pre owned. You save a lot of money and if the seller is legit the condition of the watch will be 90%, 95%, to new condition. The sellers that I know and have bought from or have had associates have bought from are listed about. I just bought my vintage Rolex GMT Master 1979 with 14k gold was in excellent condition. Mine has the nipple dile and it looks classy as hell. I bought from Bernard Watch and was very happy with the service. They also have a 3 day return policy and a 30 day warrenty. Paul Duggan is great as well and he gives a year warranty on everything which gives you confidence. I have given some feed back below as well. The sellers below are businesses that me and other associates have purchased from for years and have never had a bad experience ever. They all allow you to return if you are not happy and they have never sold a fake Rolex. I will not purchase a Rolex new because if you buy pre owned you save a lot of money and can get a watch that is in excellent condition. I hope this helps.

Bernard is one the sellers that is the best deal dollar for dollar. They give great deals.

http://www.bernardwatch.com/

Paul gives good deals and a good warranty and return policy. He has vintage and newer rolexes.

http://www.pduggan.com/

They do not have a lot of stock but are well trusted \.

http://www.europeanwatch.com/

Wingates are a little expensive but they have a huge amount of watches.

http://www.tic-tock.com/wingates/

Watch Chest is expensive but you get a used watch that is in new condition. They are all in like new condition. They also have an ebay store where their watches have better prices.

http://www.watchchest.com/store/
nat120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 02:10 PM   #13
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
An AD is s good way to go.

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Rolex-Girl

I just had a great experience purchasing from a well known trusted seller on here, DavidSW and would recommend him in a heartbeat. I would contact him and some of the other trusted sellers on here for great prices.
Rolex-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 10:28 PM   #15
blama215
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB C 116610LN
I have purchased from AD, and Ebay. Yes you will overpay at an AD, but you get service to with it, even though I have purchsed from Ebay it seems to me it is very risky now with all the scams and stories you read right here in this fourm. As other posted you must buy the seller first, I would recomend purchasing from one of the very well trusted sellers here.

ROLEX 116610LN
SMP 2254.50.00
ROLEX DateJust 16234
Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.02.001
Aqua Terra 25773000 (wifes)
Breitling A1736006
blama215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 01:18 AM   #16
janton

all, appreciate the notes and advice, good stuff
Old 12 August 2011, 01:35 AM   #17
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat120 View Post
my opinion is to buy from a well known seller that sells pre owned. You save a lot of money and if the seller is legit the condition of the watch will be 90%, 95%, to new condition. The sellers that i know and have bought from or have had associates have bought from are listed about. I just bought my vintage rolex gmt master 1979 with 14k gold was in excellent condition. Mine has the nipple dile and it looks classy as hell. I bought from bernard watch and was very happy with the service. They also have a 3 day return policy and a 30 day warrenty. Paul duggan is great as well and he gives a year warranty on everything which gives you confidence. I have given some feed back below as well. The sellers below are businesses that me and other associates have purchased from for years and have never had a bad experience ever. They all allow you to return if you are not happy and they have never sold a fake rolex. I will not purchase a rolex new because if you buy pre owned you save a lot of money and can get a watch that is in excellent condition. I hope this helps.

Bernard is one the sellers that is the best deal dollar for dollar. They give great deals.

http://www.bernardwatch.com/

paul gives good deals and a good warranty and return policy. He has vintage and newer rolexes.

http://www.pduggan.com/

they do not have a lot of stock but are well trusted \.

http://www.europeanwatch.com/

wingates are a little expensive but they have a huge amount of watches.

http://www.tic-tock.com/wingates/

watch chest is expensive but you get a used watch that is in new condition. They are all in like new condition. They also have an ebay store where their watches have better prices.

http://www.watchchest.com/store/
x2
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote