The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 4 September 2011, 03:23 AM   #1
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

Need help to check whether this Rolex is genuine or not?

Dear everyone,

To begin, I'm not an English native speaker to please pardon me if I misunderstand somethings or saying inappropriate things or using wrong grammar/words.

Recently, my dad was given a Rolex watch from my uncle (he's living in UK) and he's curious whether it's a real one or not? And here is the problem:

My family is living in Vietnam and we're not rich, just so so I think, and a 200$ watch here is considered as an expensive watch so first time seeing this watch, I and my dad were really shocked. We do have a Rolex store in the city (the only one in the country) but we don't have the courage to go into there (it's looked too luxurious for us) and asking for a checking service, it will be a big shame if it's a fake one :(. I've tried some methods on the internet to check:

_The watch does have a sweeping second hand
_It ticks 8 times for a second (I think so as the ticking is so fast that I can only hear but can't count)
_By the look, it doesn't seem to be cheap as it's heavy and looks much better than those fake ones in pictures :D although it's old and has many scratches all over the band and case...

So I'm uploading some pictures of the watch itself to ask if someone with experiences can tell me how real can it be (probably I can be confident enough to go for a real checking in Rolex store :D)

Here are the pictures:

If you need any more pictures please tell me.

Many thanks!!!!
kennyduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2011, 04:06 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Please upload your pictures here.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2011, 04:37 AM   #3
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Please upload your pictures here.
done as requested :)
Old 4 September 2011, 04:42 AM   #4
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyduong View Post
done as requested :)
Thanks, can you post close up pictures of the stamps on the clasp?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2011, 12:36 PM   #5
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Thanks, can you post close up pictures of the stamps on the clasp?
Sorry if the pictures are not at good quality, I don't have a real camera so just used my phone 5MP camera.

If you can't see the number on the pictures, here are the numbers that I can see with my eyes:

On the case:
_R824179
_ORG ROLEX DESIGN
On the band:
_55
_8385

If you need anymore details, please tell me.

Thanks!
Old 5 September 2011, 02:49 PM   #6
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the doubled posts.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
Old 5 September 2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Duster
"TRF" Member

Watch: ss rolex sub date
Go have it checked, I think your in for some good news,
it appears to be real. only way to tell for sure is to have,
the back taken off.
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Duster
"TRF" Member

Watch: ss rolex sub date
Oh,and welcome to the forum.:)
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 03:11 PM   #9
43builder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116528 YG Daytona
if the serial number is correct, the year of production would be 1987.5 - 1989. the only thing that worries me is that the case seems too light to be gold. it might be the pictures though.

hope this helps at all. im sure other members will be able to tell you much more
Omega Vintage 1970's 617 Movement
43builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 03:20 PM   #10
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
it looks good to me, just not sure about the diamonds, (they might have been added after)
but looks real to but go have it checked

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 03:22 PM   #11
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
it looks good to me, just not sure about the diamonds, (they might have been added after)
but looks real to but go have it checked
I agree with Chris, maybe a custom dial/bezel but imo the case, band and clasp certainly looks to be authentic.
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 03:47 PM   #12
SWIMPRUF
"TRF" Member

Looks real.
Old 5 September 2011, 05:44 PM   #13
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone, the color for the watch in real life looks less yellowish than in the pictures.

I have some more questions:

1. Does this Roles series has a rubber ring at Triplock crown position? Because I've researched that this is also one of the sign to identify a real Rolex, and mine seems do not have or its ring has been disintegrated (is this possible?) although it does have this rubber o-ring for the case because I can see it's bit out of place (look at the right side of the case back):

2. Just curious, how much money can this watch be?

3. Can I ask Rolex for re-issue certificate for this watch? Or probably just an official paper saying it's real?

4. I'm intending to have it refinished/served by Rolex store, does every Rolex store have this service? And how much can it be (I looked around and see the cost is between 500-750$)? This watch probably need the sapphire crystal replaced (extra cost?) as I can feel some scratches that the edge of its face.
Old 5 September 2011, 06:21 PM   #14
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Watch looks authentic except the bezel. Are the diamonds in the dial set in white or yellow gold. A service is about 1000 dollars At rolex for a day date in western countries. your closest would be Bangkok or taipei or hong kong I think. Maybe cheaper in thise countries due to cheaper labour, at a normal watch store would be cheaper. Sapphire cystal is extra around 180 dollars.
Old 5 September 2011, 06:25 PM   #15
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

The diamonds are in a yellow gold dial.

My country do have an authorized Rolex store here, wonder if it also have Rolex services not just sale?
Old 5 September 2011, 06:53 PM   #16
Earl Camembert
Banned

The truth be told if on drop of paint is added to the dial it is no longer a genuine Rolex. I'm 99 and 44/100% sure your watch is not 100% Rolex.

It may be as good as the real deal but Rolex makes big bucks on 100% genuine.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 07:36 PM   #17
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Camembert View Post
The truth be told if on drop of paint is added to the dial it is no longer a genuine Rolex. I'm 99 and 44/100% sure your watch is not 100% Rolex.

It may be as good as the real deal but Rolex makes big bucks on 100% genuine.
But does they still do service on a genuine Rolex with custom dial?
Old 5 September 2011, 09:08 PM   #18
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Camembert View Post
The truth be told if on drop of paint is added to the dial it is no longer a genuine Rolex.
Earl, how can that be? I would not agree with that statement.

Quote:
But does they still do service on a genuine Rolex with custom dial?
No, they will not.

Quote:
1. Does this Roles series has a rubber ring at Triplock crown position? Because I've researched that this is also one of the sign to identify a real Rolex, and mine seems do not have or its ring has been disintegrated (is this possible?) although it does have this rubber o-ring for the case because I can see it's bit out of place (look at the right side of the case back):

2. Just curious, how much money can this watch be?

3. Can I ask Rolex for re-issue certificate for this watch? Or probably just an official paper saying it's real?

4. I'm intending to have it refinished/served by Rolex store, does every Rolex store have this service? And how much can it be (I looked around and see the cost is between 500-750$)? This watch probably need the sapphire crystal replaced (extra cost?) as I can feel some scratches that the edge of its face.
1. Your watch would not have a triplock crown, but a twin lock crown and so no visible rubber gasket.

2. Check on ebay.com for this model number and you will see what they are selling for in the US.

3. Rolex will not re issue any certificate. But they will issue you a two year warranty if they service your watch, which is good enough to say your watch is genuine.. They will only service your watch if it is 100% original, if it is not, they will offer to return it to original condition at your cost.

4. Only a RSC (Rolex Service Center) will offer you the paper work and a two year warranty. The crystal will be an additional charge.

Depending upon your circumstances this may be worth doing as the value of a genuine Rolex 18038 is several thousands of dollars, not the $200 that mentioned in your first post. If you do not have the money to put into the watch then sell it as it is, to a dealer that trades in Rolex but you need to do some more homework IMO and find our exactly what you have there.

As mentioned above I believe much is original in your watch. Let us know how you go.
Old 6 September 2011, 12:16 AM   #19
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Like others said, it looks legit to me. The bezel looks aftermarket.

I would not get the watch wet with the gasket sticking out like that. Get it checked out by a Rolex AD and only an AD. They will open up the back and at least make sure its closed properly.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 01:34 AM   #20
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
Earl, how can that be? I would not agree with that statement.

No, they will not.

1. Your watch would not have a triplock crown, but a twin lock crown and so no visible rubber gasket.

2. Check on ebay.com for this model number and you will see what they are selling for in the US.

3. Rolex will not re issue any certificate. But they will issue you a two year warranty if they service your watch, which is good enough to say your watch is genuine.. They will only service your watch if it is 100% original, if it is not, they will offer to return it to original condition at your cost.

4. Only a RSC (Rolex Service Center) will offer you the paper work and a two year warranty. The crystal will be an additional charge.

Depending upon your circumstances this may be worth doing as the value of a genuine Rolex 18038 is several thousands of dollars, not the $200 that mentioned in your first post. If you do not have the money to put into the watch then sell it as it is, to a dealer that trades in Rolex but you need to do some more homework IMO and find our exactly what you have there.

As mentioned above I believe much is original in your watch. Let us know how you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Like others said, it looks legit to me. The bezel looks aftermarket.

I would not get the watch wet with the gasket sticking out like that. Get it checked out by a Rolex AD and only an AD. They will open up the back and at least make sure its closed properly.
1. I just researched a bit, seems the triplock is only for extra water proofing right? And is the twinlock's water proofing good? because until now I don't dare to use the watch under any direct water.

3. I'm confused here, as far as people have said, my Rolex only have custom benzel right so it's still not 100% original? What's the difference between service and offer to return to original condition (different price?). And the custom benzel, was it made by Rolex or another party? Anyway to find out?

4. The Rolex store in my city is listed in Rolex main website as an authorized store, so does this mean it have Rolex services?

P/S: I'm not planning to sell this watch because I feel like I love it now, it's so beautiful to be true to me :D but my dad doesn't like it, he gave it to me to decide so I think I will save up some money to have it serviced (hopefully the Rolex store can service it) but this won't happen very soon because the service cost is 2x my salary already and yes, I'm not rich :(
Old 6 September 2011, 12:46 PM   #21
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

I just saw from some sources that if when I send in my Rolex for checking/service and they check the serial number and see that it was listed as stolen and they will not let me have it back? Is this true? As I'm not sure about the origin of this watch, I only know that my uncle bought it from someone in UK several years ago and he gave it to my dad recently.

Also regarding my 3rd question above, can anyone help me? Someone said I may have to buy an original benzel to replace my custom one in order to have it serviced? And what's the difference between service and offer to return to original condition (different price?)?

Many thanks!
Old 6 September 2011, 01:00 PM   #22
imono
"TRF" Member

YES. If Rolex finds that this watch has been stolen you will not get it back. It does not matter what you are going to tell them.
You can send in your Rolex for service. They will overhaul the entire movement cleaning every little thing inside and outside the watch. And replace any worn parts, seals and gaskets.
When you get it back, the watch will look very nice and restored to its original condition.

You will be given a quote or price to do it all.
And of course the bezel will be replaced with a matching one to the model one which is fluted.
If the Dial is an after market, Rolex will also INSIST it be replaced.

A Rolex service for your type of watch runs about $750.00 in the US.
Not sure how much they will charge you in your country.

And you can always say "No Thanks" and get your watch back. Check to see if you'll be charged just for sending in.
imono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 01:33 PM   #23
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imono View Post
YES. If Rolex finds that this watch has been stolen you will not get it back. It does not matter what you are going to tell them.
This is scary, just checked with my uncle and he said this watch was sold to him at a good price as the seller was actually had a debt with my uncle, and of course no certificate or anything was going with the watch, only itself. Is there anyway to check before hand for safe?
Old 6 September 2011, 01:36 PM   #24
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is there anyway to check before hand for safe?
No, only Rolex will know if your watch is on their "stolen" register and they will not share that information
Old 6 September 2011, 07:29 PM   #25
kennyduong
"TRF" Member

Seems my only option is to go to a good local watchmaker for my Rolex to be serviced :)

Anyway, thanks everyone, I've learnt much :)