The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 30 June 2012, 07:36 PM   #1
burocrat
"TRF" Member

Jubilee 62523h Clasp hinge bent.

Hello to everybody, This is my first Rolex and first post . I recently bought a Used Rolex from a reputable dealer and got discount for the imperfections i noticed (cash on hip also helped with discount). Watch itself is great and keeping great time, love it, Slight problem with the clasp that i did bring up with the dealer when negotiating cash price. Clasp itself is near mint apart from a slight/more than slight bend/warping on one of the hinges of the clasp, It is at the shortest clasp end of the bracelet, Not the end where you can alter yoursef. Clasp end im talking about also has a small link that connects to the bracelet and this has previously been repaired poorly, you can see where it has been hammered back in place (not professional or keeping with the great condidtion of the rest of the watch, whats best for me to do? I did also notice that the bracelet code is for 93 and the watch itself is 98, is that big time differnce to long for it to be the original bracelet. Sorry for the long winded post, Any help appreciated.
burocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 03:13 AM   #2
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
Besides the bend in the clasp blade, it sounds like the bracelet has been worn a lot. If you are good with tools, you can carefully readjust the pieces, find new pins, get a pin removal tool, etc., etc., etc. But you will still be dealing with overworked/deformed parts. It probably be better to just obtain a new/gently used replacement clasp and get your jeweler to put it all back together properly, with new pin/spring bar. New SS clasps are now about $160usd from Rolex, good used are somewhwere in $75 to $120 range, depending on style, condition.

Sometimes bargain watches are not bargains. You'll do better on your next one! All that noted - good luck and welcome to the forum.
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 03:48 AM   #3
burocrat
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice John. Most annoying for me is that the rest of the clasp/bracelet itself is in very good condition, It just looks like it has been taken off for whatever reason and poorly refited. What concerns me the most is that the piece that joins the clasp to the band will fail due to fatigue, new clasp is probably the best route. I wonder how much a new clasp/end piece would be if Rolex were to fit?
Old 2 July 2012, 05:06 AM   #4
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
As I noted, the new clasps from Rolex are about $160 - $170usd (at least for the 62510 and 78360) - if you send the watch in - plus some labor. The bracelet endlink, I don't know - no experience with your bracelet. Of course, this might be like taking in your Benz (err.. Land Rover) for an oil change and finding out that it needs a new oxygen analyzer, a new computer board, one new shock absorber (and three others, of course), plugs, a new.........and the getting the bill for $3k! If your watch (or Benz/LR) needs a full service, and you don't have the parts/tools, its not a bad deal, right? Alternately, there are genuine used parts and local watchmakers (this is not an internal repair to the movement - its mostly cosmetic/watch general mechanical) that will probably save you some significant money. I'm all for Rolex, don't misunderstand, but for older, non-rare, well-used watches, well......
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2012, 05:24 AM   #5
burocrat
"TRF" Member

Thanks again John appreciated. Being a new purchase im slightly weary of taking it to Rolex Directly just incase they find something else and the price escelates. I think worst case scenario is that i need a new clasp and end piece, Does anybody reading this know what the end piece is called and where i can obtain/what to expect if i take the watch to Rolex direct. I suppose i better post some pictures tomorrow and i would appreciate your opinion of those pictures and anybody else. Its gaining 5 secs per day and from what i understand this is no big deal?
Old 2 July 2012, 10:40 PM   #6
burocrat
"TRF" Member

I contacted RSC Kent and new clasp is aprox £75 plus the rivet/fitting so i think its best to take that route, hopefully they will fit it whilst i wait????