The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 July 2013, 02:04 PM   #1
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
DateJust fogged Up!!! Need help!!

Hello all,

Well as the title reads my DJ fogged up. I have been on vacation and I decided to take a dip in the hot tub, but after realizing that my crown wasn't tightened all the way, my crystal started to fog up. So, I immediately went up to my room and put it in some water that was comparable to the hot tub and it unfogged. I then gradually reduced the temp lower and lower until cool. At that point it didn't fog up any more in the atmosphere of my room. However when I put it on my wrist or take it outside on the balcony to test it, it begins to fog up again until I run my hand over it or put some water over the face. Tonight I decided to open the crown completely and let it sit on my wrist to see if I could get it back to normal... But it's just fogging up..

So, what can I do about this. I don't want to send it to the RSC or anything. What would you all recommend?? I didn't have a problem wearing my DeepSea on the hot tub, but then again I made sure my crown was tight!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 02:13 PM   #2
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I believe the consensus will be to stop the movement and get it to an RSC or a certified watchmaker ASAP.

Peter has discussed some scenarios in which this is not a problem, but I believe that insofar as it appears that some moisture entered the case, you should err on the side of caution.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I believe the consensus will be to stop the movement and get it to an RSC or a certified watchmaker ASAP.

Peter has discussed some scenarios in which this is not a problem, but I believe that insofar as it appears that some moisture entered the case, you should err on the side of caution.
This is the route I would go.
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 02:17 PM   #4
powerband
"TRF" Member

Definitely send off to the pros. Take no chance with rust development.
Good luck.
powerband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 02:36 PM   #5
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Rsc asap.
Old 21 July 2013, 02:56 PM   #6
GlideLockHeadLock
Banned

Watch: Submariner116610LN
Any certified watchmaker will be able to help you. Unless the watch needs a full overhaul you dont have use a Rolex service center. This will save you some money.
GlideLockHeadLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Thebiglagu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16610
Send it ASAP!
Thebiglagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 03:05 PM   #8
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

Yup, exactly what I'd do asap
james1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Send it asap
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Billywiz
Banned

Watch: YG President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
This is the route I would go.
...and fast.
Billywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 04:33 PM   #11
MonBK
Banned

It won't take long for the movement to rust beyond the point of repair so get it in ASAP.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 09:40 PM   #12
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Same happened to me. End result $550 lighter bank account.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 11:41 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.president1 View Post
Hello all,

Well as the title reads my DJ fogged up. I have been on vacation and I decided to take a dip in the hot tub, but after realizing that my crown wasn't tightened all the way, my crystal started to fog up. So, I immediately went up to my room and put it in some water that was comparable to the hot tub and it unfogged. I then gradually reduced the temp lower and lower until cool. At that point it didn't fog up any more in the atmosphere of my room. However when I put it on my wrist or take it outside on the balcony to test it, it begins to fog up again until I run my hand over it or put some water over the face. Tonight I decided to open the crown completely and let it sit on my wrist to see if I could get it back to normal... But it's just fogging up..

So, what can I do about this. I don't want to send it to the RSC or anything. What would you all recommend?? I didn't have a problem wearing my DeepSea on the hot tub, but then again I made sure my crown was tight!

Thanks!
Condensation on the inside of the crystal is generally an indication that there may be a problem but it your case could be possible or its not a huge problem. Now condensation will quite normally occur when any warm watch is suddenly exposed to a cold environment i.e. if you enter cold water then shortly after warm/hot water or visa versa. In normal circumstances this will appear as a very fine mist and should disappear in a minute or so when the watch warms up. This is quite normal as the air trapped inside your watch after the service will have a small amount of water vapour as its just like normal humidity in the atmosphere, if it disappears quickly all is well. Now if the misting appears as clearly definable droplets of water and does not clear quickly when warm, then it signifies that water has entered the case.Now this will NOT evaporate of its own accord and will need to be removed then afraid its off to the RSC as soon as possible, put the stopped watch in a bag of dry rice grains.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2013, 12:56 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.president1 View Post
Hello all,

l... But it's just fogging up..

Thanks!
The assumption that water is leaking through the crown may be completely wrong..

Leaving the crown unscrewed in a properly sealed watch will not let water in.. the seals are inside the tube. Likewise, leaving the crown unscrewed and setting it out will not let any water out - the crown/tube is not an open hole to the atmosphere..

You should not have put your watch in more water after noticing condensation.. Once you have water in the works the damage has already started. The bare metal has already begun to rust and it must be taken apart and cleaned and re-oiled.

My guess might be that the gasket around the crystal has failed letting water in.. You should bite the bullet and have the seals replaced..

To remove moisture from your watch:
Remove the caseback and set the watch over a light bulb or warm (not hot) heat source so the moisture can evaporate. Once dry, replace the back and take it to a watchmaker as soon as possible.