The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 October 2012, 03:50 AM   #1
mchad

Watch: 114060 SD SMP &S3
I need lume...

I have an early 90's Sea Dweller in immaculate shape (after a recent overhaul by our friend Rik at TimeCareInc.) but the thing that is bothering me is the complete lack of lume on the dial. I really love this watch, and don't really want to replace the T<25 dial with a "SWISS" service dial and hands, but I do feel like I need to consider it. Not being able to ready my watch at night, out on my boat, or even if I wake up at night, does bother me.

So, it looks like I have two options. Sell it in it's original condition and buy a newer Luminova Sea Dweller, or send it in to Rolex for a service dial and hands (Or find a dial and hands and have Rik install them)

The watch is mind-blowingly accurate (about a second or two a day) and looks brand spanking new, so I'd hate to lose it. I'm leaning towards dial and hands.

Since it's just been overhauled, do you think if I went that route that a RSC would do just the replacement, or would they require a full service?
mchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2012, 03:52 AM   #2
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
It's your Rolex reference, however, please do not bastardize your beautiful timepiece by replacing the dial. Someone would gladly take it off your hands! When that happens you can acquire a later Sea Dweller model! Good luck!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2012, 04:03 AM   #3
mchad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
It's your Rolex reference, however, please do not bastardize your beautiful timepiece by replacing the dial. Someone would gladly take it off your hands! When that happens you can acquire a later Sea Dweller model! Good luck!
Thats the thing, I love this watch (movement, case, bezel, bracelet, everything) and want to keep it. But I need to be able to read it.

I was playing with the idea of just replacing the hands. That way I could read the time, and still have the lovely, pristine dial. No color matching worries as well, as my almost 20 year old dial and hands are still white as fresh mountain snow.
Old 12 October 2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchad View Post
Thats the thing, I love this watch (movement, case, bezel, bracelet, everything) and want to keep it. But I need to be able to read it.

I was playing with the idea of just replacing the hands. That way I could read the time, and still have the lovely, pristine dial. No color matching worries as well, as my almost 20 year old dial and hands are still white as fresh mountain snow.
If you do that, make sure to keep the old set of hands just in case.

Like others, I would say keep the old dial
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
See if you can get Rik to put in a service dial and hands and keep the old ones. I don't know how a Rolex WM handles that but it's worth asking. I think if Rolex does it you lose the parts.

I am with you though, lume is important to me on a modern watch.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2012, 04:39 PM   #6
mchad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
See if you can get Rik to put in a service dial and hands and keep the old ones. I don't know how a Rolex WM handles that but it's worth asking. I think if Rolex does it you lose the parts.

I am with you though, lume is important to me on a modern watch.
I've already asked him to see if he can source an excellent condition luminova dial for me. If he can, I'll certainly keep the old tritium parts safe.
Old 13 October 2012, 08:13 AM   #7
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
^^This.^^
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2012, 06:14 PM   #8
ROGERWILCO357

Watch: Submariner LV
question, how long does the lume usually last? and can they be re-lumed?
ROGERWILCO357 is offline   Reply With Quote