The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 November 2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Sub "Wood" Box and "New" Box?

Hiya all,

Does anyone know when Rolex stopped making the "wood" box for the sub, and switched over to the new style box?

The reason I'm asking is because I just saw a Z Series (2006 then) "Bluesy" for sale from a grey dealer, but with a "wood" box... Is that the right combo?

Cheers!
Oyster Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2007, 03:06 PM   #2
citidon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 4000
seems they are packaging with some old boxes. I recall they were replaced in 2003, z series are atleast mid 2006.
citidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Thanks! That's what I figured... That's a bit shady of this grey dealer not to say that's not the original box... Oh well, just another reason not to buy from a grey dealer, in my opinion...

Here's the link to the watch:

http://www.bernardwatch.com/Rolex/Su...r-Date/RLX3435
Old 18 November 2007, 03:49 PM   #4
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Not sure about why he's got an old box with this newer watch. The watch appears new. Maybe it was lost.
Old 18 November 2007, 07:52 PM   #5
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
I'm sure they bring watches in on trade without boxes. They probably have a stack of old boxes, and when they sell one that didn't have a box, or the buyer doesn't ask about the box (or appear to know/care), they slip in the old box.

Does this really seem that dishonest when ADs are selling five year old watches as "new" and rarely themselves know or care which box is supposed to go with the watch?
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2007, 07:55 PM   #6
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
Still looks decent value if it is a Z..

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2007, 09:59 PM   #7
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Lover View Post
Hiya all,

Does anyone know when Rolex stopped making the "wood" box for the sub, and switched over to the new style box?

The reason I'm asking is because I just saw a Z Series (2006 then) "Bluesy" for sale from a grey dealer, but with a "wood" box... Is that the right combo?

Cheers!
I believe you can find the answer here:

"The New Rolex Box & Packaging"! CLICK!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2007, 10:05 PM   #8
arttay10
"TRF" Member

Watch: ????????
Another great link Bo - Cheers for that one
arttay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2007, 01:22 AM   #9
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
I believe you can find the answer here:

"The New Rolex Box & Packaging"! CLICK!

Thanks Bo - a great link!
Old 19 November 2007, 01:28 AM   #10
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
I'm sure they bring watches in on trade without boxes. They probably have a stack of old boxes, and when they sell one that didn't have a box, or the buyer doesn't ask about the box (or appear to know/care), they slip in the old box.

Does this really seem that dishonest when ADs are selling five year old watches as "new" and rarely themselves know or care which box is supposed to go with the watch?

Well, that's why I didn't call this grey dealer "dishonest", but rather used the word "shady", which is a softer word (more like "dubious").

To the unsuspecting buyer, this seems like a complete set, when it's really not... As paranoid as I am about buying from a grey dealer, something like this doesn't help build the trust I need to have before I wire someone thousands of dollars...
Old 19 November 2007, 01:44 AM   #11
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Lover View Post
Well, that's why I didn't call this grey dealer "dishonest", but rather used the word "shady", which is a softer word (more like "dubious").

To the unsuspecting buyer, this seems like a complete set, when it's really not... As paranoid as I am about buying from a grey dealer, something like this doesn't help build the trust I need to have before I wire someone thousands of dollars...
Oh, I hear you--I certainly didn't intend to sound like I was condoning the practice. Rather, I was trying to point out the absurdity of Rolex ADs.

We hear countless stories of ADs treating forum members like second-class citizens unworthy of wearing their precious watches. Reality is that the darn ADs, who consider buying a Rolex a privilege only for society's elite, don't seem to put forth the effort one would normally associate with such a monumental event. They don't know (or care) which box goes with the watch, and half the time they don't even know which watch they're selling.

RUSA, who treats their ADs even worse than the ADs treat us, apparently doesn't care either. God forbid an AD would hang an Omega clock on the wall--such things can't be in the same room as our precious Rolex, and if you don't like it we'll take our precious AD status and go home. However, despite the fact that it's a monumental privilege to sell a Rolex, such a privilege apparently doesn't warrant requiring those privileged few to actually learn anything about their God-sent product.

Which is why I actually like Grey dealers. Most of these guys seemed to get into the business because they actually like watches. Novel concept, I know. And, as far as Grey dealers go, BW is supposed to be one of the best.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2007, 02:04 AM   #12
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
Oh, I hear you--I certainly didn't intend to sound like I was condoning the practice. Rather, I was trying to point out the absurdity of Rolex ADs.

We hear countless stories of ADs treating forum members like second-class citizens unworthy of wearing their precious watches. Reality is that the darn ADs, who consider buying a Rolex a privilege only for society's elite, don't seem to put forth the effort one would normally associate with such a monumental event. They don't know (or care) which box goes with the watch, and half the time they don't even know which watch they're selling.

RUSA, who treats their ADs even worse than the ADs treat us, apparently doesn't care either. God forbid an AD would hang an Omega clock on the wall--such things can't be in the same room as our precious Rolex, and if you don't like it we'll take our precious AD status and go home. However, despite the fact that it's a monumental privilege to sell a Rolex, such a privilege apparently doesn't warrant requiring those privileged few to actually learn anything about their God-sent product.

Which is why I actually like Grey dealers. Most of these guys seemed to get into the business because they actually like watches. Novel concept, I know. And, as far as Grey dealers go, BW is supposed to be one of the best.
I agree with pretty much everything you said - it's scandalous for us to pay so much money, and get so little service (generally). I know some TRF members have great ADs, but I haven't yet met a great one - the ones I've seen come on like used car salesmen and are generally unknowledgeable. I just use AD's as a way of making certain my watch is original, and that's about it!

As for grey dealers, I think many of them are up to no good, and will not hesitate ripping you off if you gave them a chance (something an AD will typically not do). There are some grey dealers whose names come up often on TRF, which probably belong in the "good guys" category, and BW is probably a "good guy" too, but it just doesn't lend credibility to sell a Z Sub with a vintage box and not say a word about this combo in a "Caveat Emptor" manner.

If BW is cutting this corner, what other corners is he cutting? Maybe he's not opening the case back when he's buying a watch? Maybe there's after-market parts on a watch and they aren't aware? It's a slippery slope, and in a business where one needs high credibility to compete with ADs, sins of ommission reduce that credibility just as much as sins of commission...

Old 19 November 2007, 04:31 AM   #13
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
If the price is right who cares about the box? You can always buy a correct box later on.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2007, 07:24 AM   #14
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG View Post
Still looks decent value if it is a Z..

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial