The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 December 2014, 08:03 AM   #1
stockjock1975
Banned

Watch: Platona
My one complaint about the 5164....

Hello everyone here at TRF! I've been mulling over this post for some time wondering if I should even start a thread like this. I am a person who always tries to focus on the good aspects of people and things and ignore the negatives. That is especially true when discussing an item like a Patek Philippe watch which is truly as close to perfection as one can expect from a man-made item. All that said, I am really struggling to get past one issue with the watch that is driving me up the wall.....the incredibly loud (relatively speaking) rotor noise.

Now I know this issue has been raised before. For whatever reason, the 324 movement is a noisy movement. Now, I have owned the 5167 Aquanaut in the past and it seems that the movement in the 5164 is even more noticeable and it's really taking away from my enjoyment of the watch. As a matter of fact, I was in a meeting the other day. The room was somewhat quiet as someone was presenting. When suddenly the guy sitting next to me said "hey, I think your watch is broken. You might want to have that looked at". Now, when someone sitting next to you can audibly notice the rotor noise, I think we've now crossed the line of what is acceptable from a fine timepiece costing as much as many automobiles. Agree?

Anyway, part of this message is to get your thoughts and comments.....and another part is just to vent. Am I wrong to question why this piece is so noisy and be put off by it? I really do love almost everything else about the Aquanaut. It's just an amazingly versatile piece. But lately I find myself not wearing it as much because I am so bothered by the incessant noise. I really don't want to even think of selling it, but the noise has literally become nails on a chalk board to me.

Anyone else feel the same, or is it just me being OCD? It's not even just the "buzzzzzzz" that many people mention, it also rattles in a very tinny fashion. All in all, not a pleasant sound. My 5127, 5960, etc are as quiet as you can imagine so I am just wondering what is it about the Aquanaut that leads to so much noise?

Anyway, thank you all for letting me vent and voice my concerns. I appreciate any comments or feedback you can offer.
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
IMHO if it is noticably more noisy than the same movement based 5127, then there must be something wrong with your 5164. Take it to a service center, and get it checked out. If they say it's normal, then try to compare it against another 5164 there or at another AD. If another 5164 is noticably quieter, then use the example to convince the AD to send your watch back to Geneve for a service and have the rotor (or rather the rotor bearings I suppose) fixed.

BTW, is it just me, or the date rolling issues and the noisy rotor issues are popping up so frequently that once would wonder if everything is alright around the Cal.324 movement? Or maybe Patek revamped something in this movement in the past 1 or 2 years? Or maybe I just got that impression because the Cal.324 is the single movement that is used by Patek in the most watches, across the Calatrava, Aquanaut and Nautilus ranges, and so it happens to be the one movement many owners have in their watch? So statistically this will be the one people find the most issues in it / about it?
Old 26 December 2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Brian, please be kind enough to inform us of your progress with the 5164. I am seriously considering purchasing one of the Aquanauts....this is not the first thread about these noise issues....and I fear it would drive me mad.

For my 2cents worth, this is far from acceptable from a manufacture such as PP.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 08:41 AM   #4
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
My 5167, 5164 and 5711 make a noise, but certainly not audible to the person next to me. In fact, the noise is pretty cool and makes me smile. But, it is barely audible.
Old 26 December 2014, 08:41 AM   #5
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I have never had any issues myself with cal 324 movement. I will say it certainly has some sound to it but nothing I can't deal with or that bothers me. I can't speak to 5164 as I don't own one so not sure to volume of that sound vs 5167 or 5711. Some watches are quiet some a bit noisier. Clearly these fall in the more noisy camp but doesn't take anything away from these watches for me. Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 09:40 AM   #6
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have a 5164 and there is no way someone sitting near me would be able to hear it. I think something might be wrong.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 09:47 AM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Noisy rotor is not great especially if the sound it makes isn't pleasant, my 5712 is sometimes a little loud if I turned my wrist quickly but the sound is nice...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 09:54 AM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I notice the 5711 compared to my 5167 is quieter.

The 5167 is so legible and easy to wear.

The issue with the 324 movement is it only winds in 1 direction, when jolted the rotor can free spin for many revolutions in the other direction. Most automatic watches i have used, wind in both directions, not allowing the rotor to free spin.
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 09:57 AM   #9
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
This surely doesn't sound normal. I have a 5205R with the 324 movement also. I have to put the watch next to my ear and in a quiet room then I can hear the rotor sound.I recall not look along someone complain about the same problem on his 5167.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 10:15 AM   #10
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
As someone who started one or more of those threads, it is good to know I am not crazy (nor OCD, nor do I have prefect hearing). If I ask someone sitting near me can they hear it they can, it is one of those things you need to know what you are listening out for (I describe the sound and they hear it immediately). The mere fact you can hear mine over the sound of the stereo in my car (every time you turn the wheel to take a corner) when driving makes me think it is too loud.

Have i got rid of the watch no, would I prefer it did not make the noise yes, so for a 20K watch do I think it acceptable no. Is the noise its self unpleasant, not really as I have said before it sounds lik casting a fishing real, the silicone bearings or whatever are clearly quality but I would prefer not to have the noise. My new AP and my Rolex are a "cheaper sound in the rotor - basic metallic" but are only heard when holding the watch near your ear, so for me are less offensive indeed not an issue at all.

Would it stop me owning another PP probably not (the detail/dial are stunning), but I am hardly a mass convert to the brand largely due to the rotor noise, I expect my next watch will be an ALS or FPJ, and the last 3 watches I have bought since the Aquanaut were 2 Rolex and the AP.

I think this is a feature PP could strongly do without on this watch. I rotate my watches weekly so I have not stopped wearing the Aquanaut as such but from the minute I slip it on until i return it to the safe i hear constantly the shhuujjj, shuujjjj sound of the rotor, nor does it ever really blend into the background it is just something I have to accept. as has been raised on many occasions through all these posts i the past including mine, this is a feature that adds no value or perception of quality just something that for MANY not ALL detracts from the model and brand. I don't believe any buy the model for that feature, but a number have sold theirs because of it, I am close (again it offers not justification to its existence) a $100 automatic seiko wont make that noise.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 10:45 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Can't say I've ever been bothered by the rotor in my 5167. In a silent room as I shake my wrist? Sure. But in my car with the stereo on hell no lol! I must be hard of hearing at 27 lol
Old 26 December 2014, 11:17 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
As someone who started one or more of those threads, it is good to know I am not crazy (nor OCD, nor do I have prefect hearing). If I ask someone sitting near me can they hear it they can, it is one of those things you need to know what you are listening out for (I describe the sound and they hear it immediately). The mere fact you can hear mine over the sound of the stereo in my car (every time you turn the wheel to take a corner) when driving makes me think it is too loud.

Have i got rid of the watch no, would I prefer it did not make the noise yes, so for a 20K watch do I think it acceptable no. Is the noise its self unpleasant, not really as I have said before it sounds lik casting a fishing real, the silicone bearings or whatever are clearly quality but I would prefer not to have the noise. My new AP and my Rolex are a "cheaper sound in the rotor - basic metallic" but are only heard when holding the watch near your ear, so for me are less offensive indeed not an issue at all.

Would it stop me owning another PP probably not (the detail/dial are stunning), but I am hardly a mass convert to the brand largely due to the rotor noise, I expect my next watch will be an ALS or FPJ, and the last 3 watches I have bought since the Aquanaut were 2 Rolex and the AP.

I think this is a feature PP could strongly do without on this watch. I rotate my watches weekly so I have not stopped wearing the Aquanaut as such but from the minute I slip it on until i return it to the safe i hear constantly the shhuujjj, shuujjjj sound of the rotor, nor does it ever really blend into the background it is just something I have to accept. as has been raised on many occasions through all these posts i the past including mine, this is a feature that adds no value or perception of quality just something that for MANY not ALL detracts from the model and brand. I don't believe any buy the model for that feature, but a number have sold theirs because of it, I am close (again it offers not justification to its existence) a $100 automatic seiko wont make that noise.
I'm surprised you kept it actually, must have a lot else going for it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 11:20 AM   #13
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
They can be noisy and yes it is normal. This has come up in the past here on this forum, if you search my previous posts you can find a YouTube video I posted in the last thread about this showing the noise from my 5167.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 12:15 PM   #14
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'm surprised you kept it actually, must have a lot else going for it.
Prettiest watch I own, flies under the radar, lovely quality! As I said I like the watch a lot just think silence is a virtue when it comes to watches, unless it has a chiming complication (by the way i will never buy a chiming complication).
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 01:26 PM   #15
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Prettiest watch I own, flies under the radar, lovely quality! As I said I like the watch a lot just think silence is a virtue when it comes to watches, unless it has a chiming complication (by the way i will never buy a chiming complication).
Old 26 December 2014, 01:38 PM   #16
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
My 5980 when I flick my wrist to get the rotor a whirl, it makes a distinct buzzing sound. But I absolutely love it...
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 02:19 PM   #17
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

I wear my 5167 a lot and now only rarely notice the whirring sound when it really spools up with sudden movements. Haven't been annoyed by it yet and can't see my getting so annoyed by it to want to ditch such a comfortable, legible watch.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 04:21 PM   #18
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I've never had any issues with the noise from a 324. In fact, I kind of enjoy the sound when I can even hear it.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 11:06 PM   #19
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I must be hard of hearing as well. If I try to make my 5164 wind in a very quiet room, I can hear it wind. I actually like the sound. In a normal environment, I have never heard the watch wind.
Old 27 December 2014, 12:21 AM   #20
Melvin_arnold
"TRF" Member

Watch: TV
Not sure about the 5164 but on the 5167 it is noticeable but not to the extent where someone next to me can hear it
Melvin_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 12:49 AM   #21
Jabberjaw
Banned

My 5167 was very noticeable but didn't mind it. I'm surprised the noise is more audible in the 5164. This is concerning since I am looking at another Aqua and the 5164 is on the list. I will need to be extra vigilant.
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 12:57 AM   #22
stockjock1975
Banned

Watch: Platona
So is it the 324 movement itself that results in so much noise....or is it something about the Aquanaut model itself? Is the case metal too thin resulting in additional noise leakage? Etc. On top of it all you would think that way back when the Aquanaut was first being manufactured, Thierry, his dad, or someone there in QC would have flagged the noise as an issue.

On the bright side, I'm glad to know there are others here on TRF who are experiencing the same frustration I am.
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 01:36 AM   #23
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
The aquanaut is indeed a noisy thing. Rattles too in a quiet environment when the rotor hits the winding mech. Cheap n nasty sound which can indeed be heard by someone sitting next to you in a quite meeting. In fact my passengers have commented on the noise in a car too. Some examples are louder than others but according to Patek, they all fall within their specifications :roll eyes:

Here's a secret for the OP. One of the watchmakers at UK SC wears a 5167 as a daily. He too couldn't stand the noise so he lubed the zirc bearings a little to quiet it down a little. He also did mine for me foc. He insisted it may or may not make a difference as he can only lube it a very tiny amount or else it can start to clog up the bearing. Has it made a difference to mine? I think it has a little. Or it may just be a placebo lol. It's maybe worth op asking your SC about this.

I've had mine for around two and a half years and tbh you'll eventually start to ignore the sound. Took me a good two years to start getting used to it though.

I hope this helps op and anyone else who has an aquanaut and is good of hearing. Don't sell your 5164 purely for the noise. Instead just try to get used to it. It may take a while though.

Regards
Old 27 December 2014, 01:53 AM   #24
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
Slight off topic but related to the 324sc. The sticky date issue has been resolved by Patek. They had to modify a part within the movement. As it turns out, my watch was, in a sense the guinie pig as it was recalled by the factory in Geneva. Since then my watch has been fine. Anyone still experiencing the sticky date issue maybe worth contacting your SC and explaining about the modifying in order to rectify the issue.
Old 27 December 2014, 05:10 AM   #25
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I notice the 5711 compared to my 5167 is quieter.

The 5167 is so legible and easy to wear.

The issue with the 324 movement is it only winds in 1 direction, when jolted the rotor can free spin for many revolutions in the other direction. Most automatic watches i have used, wind in both directions, not allowing the rotor to free spin.
Mine is the opposite...my 5711 is slightly louder than my 5167, but neither of them really bother me. I can't imagine others can hear it
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 05:21 AM   #26
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
Mine is the opposite...my 5711 is slightly louder than my 5167, but neither of them really bother me. I can't imagine others can hear it
Interesting to know, i just thought it was a product of the 5711 case construction that made it quieter.

Old 27 December 2014, 08:54 AM   #27
xseal
"TRF" Member

I just got a 5164, and noticed the winding sound. Certainly can hear it. Could anyone else hear it, I doubt it. Loud enough to make me sell this great watch, no way.
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 10:06 AM   #28
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I can hear the winding mechanism on my 5164 occasionally but certainly not in a "wow... i can hear your watch during a meeting.." kind of loud.

Maybe I am just too mesmerized by her beauty?
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote