The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Gallery

Old 26 August 2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Nick_sixx
"TRF" Member

New Rolex Owner - 214270

Hi all,

I believe this is one of my first posts, if not THE first, so hello to everybody.

I apologise in advance for the novel-length post.

I've always had a love for watches, but only in the past 3-4 years have I developed a proper interest and respect for the craft. After joining WUS a couple of years ago to find out some information on a Seiko SKX007 that I had recently purchased, I found myself being more and more attracted to Speedmasters, as I had seen them on display in multiple air/space museums across the States on my most recent visit.

I, like a lot of guys my age, grew up with (and idolised) Pierce Brosnan as Bond, which planted the idea in my head that Omega was the be-all end-all of Swiss watches, despite every Bond prior to Brosnan wearing a Sub.

My father and grandfather both wear/wore Rolexes their whole adult lives, so I knew that they made fantastic, reliable, and classic watches, but all the attention that they get from popular culture (in a negative way) kind of tainted my lust for one.

Only in the past two years have I been able to overcome these negative connotations that I was associating with the brand, and really started to respect Rolex as a watchmaker, rather than a status-symbol-provider.

I started my venture into 'luxury' (certainly not AP/PP/VC/ALS etc territory) watches with a 3570.50 Speedy Pro. I loved this watch, but foolishly traded it for a 42mm Planet Ocean. After getting caught up with all the large watch 'enabling' that goes on over the internet, I then traded that for a 45.5mm Planet Ocean instead. After a short period, however, I began to realise what a big mistake I had made in selling the Speedy Pro, and subsequently saved up an bought a birth-year example (1989 Cal.861 - manufactured exactly one week before my birthday according to Omega archives!).

It was from my love of the Speedy pro that my desire to own a classic, timeless offering from Rolex began to grow. At first I was mainly interested in the Sub, but after seeing literally dozens per week on the wrists of men in the Brisbane CBD/out at dinner/on TV etc, I couldn't help but feel that it wouldn't feel all that special to own one, and, being so recognisable, that it would attract a lot of unwanted attention, as well as the "is that real?" comments etc.

Then, after reading all of the history of the Explorer that I could find, I realised that I had found my grail watch: It had great prestige and a fantastic background, the design had barely changed in 50 years, it was a simple yet robust, sporty yet dressy, and was now offered in a (more appropriate for my size) 39mm case. Brilliant!

It took some time, but I finally saved up the extra money I needed after selling my PO XL to buy a 214270. I did consider the 114270, but I just don't think I could get used to the size.

Sorry for the enormous post, and here is my new 214270 (I only received it in the mail from member DavidSW about an hour ago, so apologies for the poor quality photos).

My father's Air King Date, which I find to be too small (and therefore ruled out the only slightly larger 114270):

And my old PO, which looks great from this angle:

But, unfortunately a little too big from this angle:

Thanks for reading!
Nick_sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2013, 06:50 AM   #2
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the Explorer....wonderful choice! Enjoy it for many years to come!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Pete26
Banned

Great choice
Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2013, 08:34 AM   #4
psv
"TRF" Member

Big congrats on the Explorer - one of my favorite watches out there - truly timeless!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2013, 09:00 PM   #5
dvdwyn
"TRF" Member

the one rolex i would never sell is the xplorer 214270
87-88 – R / 89-90 – L / 90 – E / 91 – E / 91 – X / 91 – N / 92 – C / 93 / 94 – S / 95 / 96 – W / 96 / 97 – T / 97 / 98 – U / 98 / 99 – A / 00 Apr – P / 01 Aug – K / 02 Sep – Y / 04 Jan – F / 05 Jan to 06 Jul – D / 06 Jul to 07 Dec – Z / 08 Jan to 08 Nov – M /08 Dec to 10 – V / mid 10 to end 10 – G / 2011 to now – alphanumeric
dvdwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 04:42 AM   #6
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Love EX1! Congrats!
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote