The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 28 June 2014, 04:46 AM   #1
lazypolarbears
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16223 DJ
Icon20 Why are seikos selling for between $50US to $50,000 USD for their top model?

I made a really dumb mistake on another watch forum of offering someone (what I now know is a ridiculously low-ball offer) for their Grand Seiko Spring Drive watch...

My main question is, why are the high-end seiko's so expensive ($5,000 to $50,000)? What's so special about their japanese movement that defeats most swiss movements? Entry level seikos start around $50, and those are even automatic (Seiko Sports 5)

It's kinda like Hyundai offering their entry level Accent for $9000 and then offering a TOTL Equus for $60,000 and expecting it to compete against Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, Hyundai's made great progress and the Equus is totally legit, I just don't get why Seiko didn't market it under a different subsidiary (Rolex/Tudor, Movado/ESQ, etc.).

More importantly, the movement. Why is it so expensive? Are they actually collectable and worth the money or would most people rather buy a JL, Rolex, even a low end Patek??
lazypolarbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 03:05 PM   #2
fmc000
Banned

Yu're wrong. Some Seiko watches are priced above 350K USD, under the brand Credor.

Have a look at this video.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 03:27 PM   #3
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
The best analogy that I can give is this...

I would say that Seiko and Toyota are pretty similar.

Toyota makes cars for the mass market. Like Seiko makes the Seiko 5 and watches for the mass market.

Then there is the Lexus...like the Grand Seiko range. Both from the same pedigree.

And then there is the Toyota F1 car akin to the Credor line for Seiko

And when F1 technology is used for the regular cars, Seiko watches for the mass market benefit from the technology gained from top of the line watches like Credor and GS.
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 03:46 PM   #4
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

I have the pleasure to play with a Credor Eichi that belongs to my business partner, that porcelain hand painted dial is unique n attribution to details... That's is seriously first class. The price is around us75k in PT950 only and VERY limited stock. Yeah.. So seiko it maybe but for that kinda exceptional workmanship, it's fine art.

HAGWE .. jen

Check this out... This the same watch I am talking about..
http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2011/12/...-in-world.html
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 07:46 PM   #5
lazypolarbears
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16223 DJ
Wow... and I was under the impression that all seikos were cheap quartzes or autos that topped off at the Kinetic line... lol I feel so dumb for offering $200 for a $1500 Grand Seiko.

About that last watch, it's ironic the japanese used 44 jewels. In almost all of asia, the number "4" means death and some buildings in Japan skip the "4th" floor, directly going from 3rd floor to 5th floor. "44" would mean super death to someone who owned it lol superstition. Beautiful movement though!
lazypolarbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 01:22 AM   #6
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
I have the pleasure to play with a Credor Eichi that belongs to my business partner, that porcelain hand painted dial is unique n attribution to details... That's is seriously first class. The price is around us75k in PT950 only and VERY limited stock. Yeah.. So seiko it maybe but for that kinda exceptional workmanship, it's fine art.

HAGWE .. jen

Check this out... This the same watch I am talking about..
http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2011/12/...-in-world.html
Thanks for sharing.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 01:35 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Seiko makes a high quality watch for nearly any price point. Is resale going to be as strong as Rolex and PP? No.

That doesn't mean they are less desirable though.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote