The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 November 2014, 12:19 AM   #1
Norabezaline
"TRF" Member

Wilsdorf & Davis Pocket Watch

Hi, I have recently come into contact with an old pocket watch marked "W&D", a little bit of research led me to Wilsdorf and Davis, the founders of Rolex as far as I can tell. The watch is currently not working, and I am likely to get it restored, but I would like to know a little more about it. I can make out the markings; "15 Jewels", "W&D", "Swiss Made", and the number "445484". Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Norabezaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 04:23 AM   #2
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Looks like an Aegler watch movement. Typical in early Rolex. Probably made in the teens.
Not an overly expensive watch. So, I would not poor a ton of money into fixing it, unless for sentimental reasons, or you absolutely love it.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 04:52 AM   #3
Norabezaline
"TRF" Member

I see, thanks. I just gave it a tap, and it started ticking, so it might not be in such a bad condition after all. I've heard that the lubricant inside can dry up, and cause this kind of problem, is that true? Other than the glass that is missing from the front, it seems to be in a fairly good condition.
Old 27 November 2014, 06:24 PM   #4
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Certainly could be all it needs. I take my watches to an old time repair man. And it would probably cost me $30. I have seen other people pay $100, $300, $500 even more for similar repairs. UK is probably more expensive than the US. I think I would sell it as is if repairs were over $150 and move on to next watch.
Again, depends on you attachment.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2014, 01:03 AM   #5
Norabezaline
"TRF" Member

Ok, I will bear that in mind. My father found it on the pavement a few weeks ago, so I'm not really attached to it, it was just a strange find, he thought it was worthless, a fake or something, so he just gave it to me. Anyway, you've been a great help, thanks :)
Old 28 November 2014, 01:23 PM   #6
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Movement is a Rebberg. It is an early movement made by Aegler named for the neighborhood of the manufacture. This is "mid grade" finish.

FYI Most early top grade Rolex movements were Aegler. All of the movements you see in the top grade oyster and oyster perpetual watches were of Aegler S.A. Manufacture. Some movements were contracted from other makers. Aegler S.A. was completely absorbed by Rolex and they have always been the manufacture of the modern Rolex movements.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote