The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 17 January 2017, 05:53 PM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Your most polarizing pen

Which pen do you gentlemen have in your collection that just drove you batty for one reason or another, yet you still would not part with it? That or you just had constant battles with. For me, it has been the Visconti pininfarina carbon graphite. It's been an uphill battle to the point that I had to completely disassemble the pen and buy another pen to transfer the nib. Even still the feed will dry out due to the trap door not completely closing after a day. Regardless of that, I feel it's an extremely unique pen from a design standpoint and would not remove it from my collection.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 09:52 PM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
I've been really lucky in my accumulations and can't think of any examples quite like that. There are a few pens that I'd call polarizing though, pens where there is a love hate relationship or at least a "Why do I have that?" relationship.

One is my Yard-o-Led Grand Viceroy Victorian. It simply is a pen that I cannot use in public without drawing attention and comment. It just looks big.

The reality though is it really isn't all that much bigger than many of my pens but it still overwhelms them. The reality is that it is not that much more ostentatious than many of my pens but it still overwhelms them. The reality is that it was not anywhere near as costly as many of my pens but it still overwhelms them.

This is simply the one pen in my accumulation that if I pull it out and start writing a cone of silence (who remembers that?) happens and I feel like everyone is staring at me.

What's funny is that my Yard-o-Led Grand Viceroy in the barleycorn finish that is identical in size doesn't produce anywhere near the same reaction.

jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 10:18 PM   #3
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
All my pens have little niggles and eccentricities... mostly accumulated over the course of years of use. None drive me mad. Like a lot of collectors I hanker after the concept of finding "the one" but never seem to find anything that ticks every single box.
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 11:39 PM   #4
Juantxo
Banned

Nope. I'd say that the only pen I have that I can't quite come to terms with is a Sailor 1911 I own. Some of the finishing has peeled off for no good reason, I've never felt comfortable with the nib even though I've passed it on 12,000 grit paper, etc. I don't much care for the converter. It looks like a cheap, copy-cat pen to me. So I've just put it away.

By the way, Jim, I thought I was the only fan of some of the Dupont fountain pens. Those are some of my very favorite pens.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 11:57 PM   #5
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
By the way, Jim, I thought I was the only fan of some of the Dupont fountain pens. Those are some of my very favorite pens.
Love ST Dupont pens and lighters. Unfortunately I gave up smoking some years back.

Using a 1911L and a Waterman Opera today though.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote