The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 May 2017, 10:07 AM   #1
LaPerlerare
"TRF" Member

Oysterquartz questions

[The goods](http://imgur.com/a/ox5Tb)

I currently work at a jewellery store and last week a friend of the owner walked in and asked if she could sell his watches. Something I had never seen before came out of it. A Rolex oysterquartz in 18k gold with 1.5 Carat of VS quality diamond. [Album](http://imgur.com/a/ox5Tb) (pardon my photography skills, I'm a watchmaker not a photographer). If you check on the movement pictures, you can see the quartz movement is powered by a motor that shifts the current (magnetic field?) and oscillate an anchor (right under the "neva" of geneva) , kind of like what you'd find in a mechanical watch, it might even be closer to a clock anchor, since I'm the junior watchmaker and this is worth a couple thousands at least they did not let me fiddle with it. I had never seen that before. It really surprises me how they achieved such accuracy with that method.

When I took the pictures, the lead watchmaker opened the case and you could clearly hear the ticking like what you'd expect from a clock. Or a low frequency mechanical.

We checked and weren't able to find the same watch anywhere online and the information where very limited. So if you know anything, or know where to find more information, I'd be glad to get my hand on those !

I was able to date the watch production date to 84-85, am I correct ?, so in the peak of the quartz watch revolution, when they got really popular. I guess that's the reason Rolex went into making them around these years. Just by watching the movement, you can clearly see that Rolex when with their legendary quality. They didn't want a "cheap" quartz, like every other manufacturers where pumping out, I think they wanted to show that quartz could be high quality and they achieved it in my opinion.

Price wise, it's hard to get an estimate. [I found this](http://www.chrono24.com/rolex/very-r...-id4214697.htm) and I estimate a few grand less since ours doesn't have a diamond encrusted bracelet. Do you have any input price-wise.

This dial seems to be rare, most of the models I can find are plain white or black.

Let me know what you think ! (except get a new camera)
LaPerlerare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 03:27 AM   #2
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Oysterquartz Day-Date are around. I haven't seen that dial around, could be aftermarket. Make sure it has the right number of links in the bracelet, those can be pricey.
Old 2 June 2017, 03:51 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
post images. many here don't click links. you'll have pricing and provenance info shortly after.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 03:53 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Padi! Adam!!! OQ question here...
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 03:55 AM   #5
MonBK
Banned

That is a non correct Jubilee dial.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 04:20 AM   #6
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
I agree on the dial being suspect, which then opens up the question of originality of the bezel as well. There's an entire industry devoted to making aftermarket diamond dials and bezels for Rolex (and the OQ will accept a standard Datejust bezel which makes this even more suspect.)

The only way to be 100% sure is to submit it to RSC for service - whereupon if the dial and bezel didn't begin life at the factory?

Rolex will cheerfully remove the offending parts, replace them with OEM, charge you for the new parts - and 'bin' the aftermarket parts with no appeal. (On the PLUS side? While they are doing this multi thousands of dollars of work, they WILL replace the $2 battery for free!)

Just assume that they are both non Rolex parts and act accordingly.

The movement is definitely genuine.
Old 2 June 2017, 04:20 AM   #7
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
Another option is to simply replace both parts with 100% certain original Rolex parts which are readily available in the secondary market, and let the seller find a market for the suspect diamond parts.
Old 2 June 2017, 07:30 AM   #8
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

I don't like the bezel. The Dial exists but need better pics to authenticate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 June 2017, 07:25 AM   #9
LaPerlerare
"TRF" Member

How do I do it on rolexforums ? I'm new here

What kind of angle would you recommend. Also what makes you suspicious ?

Last edited by Tools; 12 June 2017 at 01:00 PM..
LaPerlerare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
How do you do what on the Forums ??