The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2017, 03:43 PM   #1
hua_qiu
"TRF" Member

Rolex +/-2 spd testing approach

Does anyone know the exact testing approach in how it is done like that published by COSC, such as durations, position and temperature. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hua_qiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 06:01 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
You can have this for my 25000th post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (185.9 KB, 213 views)

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 06:01 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hua_qiu View Post
Does anyone know the exact testing approach in how it is done like that published by COSC, such as durations, position and temperature. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bare uncased movements are still tested at the COSC to a AVERAGE of -4+6 seconds to get the COSC certification. And on the COSC test in the first ten days of testing the movement could vary by up to 10 second either way on any one single day and still pass the COSC test. After testing movements are shipped back to Rolex then stored for days,weeks, months or longer till matched to a case.Now if its true Rolex further regulates in its case which is a good thing, to this -2+2 spec.What does this mean well just like the COSC test at time of testing on a machine the movement met this -2+2 spec.And to test every single movement Rolex must either have a huge workforce of regulators, or must have a machine that can test many at a time.And would expect just like the COSC test they are tested in different positions just like any other watch timing test for regulation would do.But on the wrist there are just too many variables to 100% guarantee movement will perform to -2+2 every single day for life but expect it was tested to this precision on the machine.On the wrist things like the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction,mainspring-power reserve, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction,daily shocks on the wrist,wearing habits and so on.

Below picture use the first column thats movement of Rolex size.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 12 September 2017 at 08:40 PM..
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 06:43 PM   #4
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
And to test every single movement Rolex must either have a huge workforce of regulators, or must have a machine that can test many at a time.
Yep was reading the Swiss cert some time back & figured, the numbers are mind boggling.

Let's assume RWC only has factory in 1 location, building 1,000,000 units pa. Assuming it takes a week to observe each unit, this rounds to 20,000 per week.

Each watch gets its own robot mount & timing sensor on a little stand... let's say it's 1sqft each. 20k of those is 20,000sqft, or area of 8 tennis courts!

Let's say we need walking room to access each stand, so the pathways double that to 40.000sqft... that's a soccer pitch!

Whole thing would need to be climate & humidity controlled, with top security. 'Cos y'know, Rolex
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 07:51 PM   #5
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
But on the wrist there are just too many variables to 100% guarantee movement will perform to -2+2 every single day for life but expect it was tested to this precision on the machine.On the wrist things like the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction,mainspring-power reserve, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction,daily shocks on the wrist,wearing habits and so on.
So very true, and what needs to be constantly repeated!

COSC just reflects the watch is capable of achieving such accuracy, not that it guaranteed to be that accurate each and every day and impervious to all the varables noted in quote above.

Padi, your post should be made a "sticky".
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 08:33 PM   #6
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Yep was reading the Swiss cert some time back & figured, the numbers are mind boggling.

Let's assume RWC only has factory in 1 location, building 1,000,000 units pa. Assuming it takes a week to observe each unit, this rounds to 20,000 per week.

Each watch gets its own robot mount & timing sensor on a little stand... let's say it's 1sqft each. 20k of those is 20,000sqft, or area of 8 tennis courts!

Let's say we need walking room to access each stand, so the pathways double that to 40.000sqft... that's a soccer pitch!

Whole thing would need to be climate & humidity controlled, with top security. 'Cos y'know, Rolex
To keep the discussion going: square foot for a watch is probably way too much. More like 10cmx10cmx10cm if that much at all.
Imagine a watchwinder with a camera and a microphone, thats all it needs.

If organized in a a few conveyor belts probably not requiring that much access space. Now they can be put on top of each other, say one meter high (so 10 stacked high).

20k/10 conveyor rows = 2k
2k/10stacked high in each row=each row 200 cases long = 20m
we put two conveyor rows back to back (gives 5) and leave two meter between them 5x2m = 10m.

So we end up with a room 20mx10m for testing. Seems doable.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 12:28 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_link View Post
To keep the discussion going: square foot for a watch is probably way too much. More like 10cmx10cmx10cm if that much at all.
Imagine a watchwinder with a camera and a microphone, thats all it needs.

If organized in a a few conveyor belts probably not requiring that much access space. Now they can be put on top of each other, say one meter high (so 10 stacked high).

20k/10 conveyor rows = 2k
2k/10stacked high in each row=each row 200 cases long = 20m
we put two conveyor rows back to back (gives 5) and leave two meter between them 5x2m = 10m.

So we end up with a room 20mx10m for testing. Seems doable.
But they will all have the case back off to be adjusted and regulated,and none of these so called phone mike timing apps are 100% accurate, not like a proper quartz timograph..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 01:29 AM   #8
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But they will all have the case back off to be adjusted and regulated,and none of these so called phone mike timing apps are 100% accurate, not like a proper quartz timograph..
I can imagine a timograph acuator and measurement arm can be easily fit into 10x10x10. Here there is a photo of one with the watch with its case back off too http://www.ofrei.com/page256.html
Old 13 September 2017, 02:10 AM   #9
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Those all need to be manually positioned, do they not?

I was thinking they'd have a robotic mic/watch mount that would change to the 6 positions automatically at the programmed intervals:-

I'm sure they can build it more compact than a sqft each but you'd need a bit of room for it to rotate around.
Old 13 September 2017, 03:08 AM   #10
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Those all need to be manually positioned, do they not?

I was thinking they'd have a robotic mic/watch mount that would change to the 6 positions automatically at the programmed intervals:-

I'm sure they can build it more compact than a sqft each but you'd need a bit of room for it to rotate around.
for instance this one says
TYMC Watch Tester with Printer MTG-9900A
Quote:
The microphone can be set to automatically or manually move to 1-6 positions for testing.
I am by no means a watchmaker but I know for sure that creating a 3 axis rotating cradle is not a big deal. It can be built even with a Lego set.
Old 13 September 2017, 03:21 AM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_link View Post
for instance this one says
TYMC Watch Tester with Printer MTG-9900A
I am by no means a watchmaker but I know for sure that creating a 3 axis rotating cradle is not a big deal. It can be built even with a Lego set.
Funny that... AFOL here & Technics geek, you're preaching to the infected.

Was thinking the other night of sticking watch inside a suitable sphere which rests on a tripod cradle of 3 tyres. These 3 tyres are independently driven and the orb can rotate in every dimension.

Usually be for a winder but if I can get a Bluetooth mic in there, should be able to hook it up to a timegrapher app right?