The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2018, 12:22 PM   #1
johndoe21883
"TRF" Member

Polar Explorer II 16570

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, so apologies ahead of time if these are dumb questions (though I've done my best to scour the internet/forums to get as much info as possible beforehand).

I'm in the market for a watch with a GMT complication, and think I've settled on the Polar Explorer II, ref. 16570. It seems to be universally praised as being the best bang for your buck and also flies a little under the radar, which are both appealing of course. I know this particular reference has different combinations available (T < 25 vs. Swiss only vs. Swiss Made, holes vs. no-holes, non-SEL vs. SEL). I think I prefer luminova as opposed to tritium, as I would want there to still be some functionality there. I've read that Swiss only means luminova whereas Swiss Made indicates superluminova, but I've read inconsistent posts between the two. So Question #1 - is superluminova indeed superior to luminova in terms of performance (brightness/longevity), or is it simply a name change?

Next is the good old non-SEL vs. SEL debate. The main issue I have is that I have relatively small wrists at 6.25". So ultimately, Question #2 - will the SEL version be too bulky for my wrist? For comparison's sake, I own an Omega Speedmaster Pro, ref. 3570.50. At 42mm, this watch is probably a hair too large for me, especially on the bracelet, but I loved the watch too much that I pulled the trigger on it anyway a few years ago. I am currently wearing it on a leather strap, which helps bring the bulkiness down.

With all that being said, I believe I'd like the holes version, since swapping straps/bracelets more easily is appealing to me. So depending on the answers to the questions above, it will help me hone in on the perfect combination. Currently, I'm thinking Swiss Made, holes, and non-SEL, but I'm not even sure that this combination exists. So maybe Swiss only, holes, non-SEL, or Swiss Made, holes, SEL, depending on what I find out here. Of course, if someone has a suggestion on a different watch altogether, my mind might be (pleasantly) blown haha.

Anyway, any insight would be most helpful, thanks in advance!
johndoe21883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 02:45 PM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Great choice!

Super Luminova is superior to Luminova but unless lume really is a sticking point, you’ll likely not notice.

You can find Luminova with holes and non-sel easily, Super Luminova, holes, and non-sel might be a hunt and I’m pretty sure the SEL bracelets were being installed by then. The best of both worlds is the overlap where they still used the holes case with the newer SEL bracelet, the 78790A. These are mostly P serials give or take. The watch will fit about the same anyway, and they will be much easier to find.

I’d hate to see you limit yourself.

Happy hunting
Old 26 March 2018, 03:21 PM   #3
brand_c
"TRF" Member

You would want to go with a late U serial or an A serial watch.

Have small wrists myself and always go for non SEL bracelet.

Love functioning lume over t25. A lot of tritium dials/hands I’ve seen have some flaking to them, luminova / superluminova should alleviate that issue.

Lug holes are great for strap replacement but I guess one would have to be wary of not removing too much metal if polishing is ever done.

16570 is a terrific choice, be it in white or black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brand_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 03:42 PM   #4
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I say get it with working lume super luminova, SEL, and lug holes I think the last series was Y.
Old 26 March 2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

You'll want one from the early 2000s as all of those only overlapped for a few years. I believe mine is a P serial and has superlume, drilled holes and SELs.
Vicious49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 10:05 PM   #6
TarponGeorge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Great choice!

Super Luminova is superior to Luminova but unless lume really is a sticking point, you’ll likely not notice.
According to member Tools (Larry):

“Luminova and SuperLuminova are the same paint patent by the Nemoto Co., therefore they are identical except in name..“

The consensus seems to be that it was merely a rebranding, with no change to the actual formulation.
TarponGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 11:08 PM   #7
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I recently looked at getting a 16570 as well, and there are a couple other things to keep in mind regarding your choice of which serial to purchase.

The movement was upgraded from the 3185 to 3186 at the very end of the watch's production run - 3186 is the same movement that is in the current GMT Master II's (except the new SS BLRO) and the current-gen Explorer IIs. The difference between the two movements is that hte 3186 uses the in-house bleu parachrom hairspring.

The other thing to consider is that at some point around 2006, Rolex added the engraved rehaut to the ExpII (the ROLEXROLEXROLEX and serial number around the edge of the dial), which some people like and others want to avoid.

If you want the newer movement or the engraved rehaut, you'll also get SEL and superluminova, but you'll lose the drilled lugs. I guess that only matters if you plan to change it off of the bracelet, but just another couple things to keep in mind in addition to what you mentioned in the OP.
4BostonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 11:39 AM   #8
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarponGeorge View Post
According to member Tools (Larry):

“Luminova and SuperLuminova are the same paint patent by the Nemoto Co., therefore they are identical except in name..“

The consensus seems to be that it was merely a rebranding, with no change to the actual formulation.
Cool, didn’t know that. Makes sense though!
Old 27 March 2018, 12:32 PM   #9
Valhala
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Cool, didn’t know that. Makes sense though!
you learn something new everyday here, great site
Valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 03:13 PM   #10
johndoe21883
"TRF" Member

Excellent feedback everyone, much appreciated! So it sounds like the Swiss only vs. Swiss Made dial difference is negligible at worst, or completely irrelevant at best, so that helps eliminate that variable. I think the lug holes will be nice to have to make strap changing easier, and even though SELs would provide a higher quality bracelet, I'm paranoid about the fit on my small wrists, so I'm still leaning towards the non-SEL variation.

Also, 4BostonB - thanks for the reminder on the 3186 movement and engraved rehaut. From what I've read online, it seems like the newer movement isn't "worth" the premium, and the engraving also isn't as important to me as some of the other variables mentioned above.

Now, on another note, does anyone have any suggestions on finding a place to check some out in person? I live in Seattle, WA if that helps...I've only handled a 16570 in the flesh on two short occasions, so it would be nice to get some more time with one (or more) before potentially sinking a bunch of money into one of these bad boy, especially if they have a variety of these combinations to help confirm or change my current opinion.

Thanks again!
Old 27 March 2018, 07:20 PM   #11
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Great choice!
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 07:34 PM   #12
Zyfon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
A few years ago, I was also on a hunt for the same watch. Ultimately went for a Y Series.

Zyfon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 10:33 PM   #13
ag986
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233, First Rolex
Here's an "F" Serial w/ SEL's. I don't think the SEL's would ad more bulk.

IMG_0644 Cropped.jpg
ag986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 10:39 PM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Just buy or keep it. It's an exp2. Any version. Any day.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 03:26 AM   #15
Tommygio
"TRF" Member

This is a great thread! I’m a ways off from adding this, but it’ll be the next watch I buy and were all questions I was going to research at some point. When you end up purchasing the watch let us know how you like it!
Tommygio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 04:04 AM   #16
bonatto
"TRF" Member

If bargain and Rolex could ever be used in the same sentence...

Understated, classic, useful, full-fledged.
bonatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 12:35 PM   #17
johndoe21883
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonatto View Post
If bargain and Rolex could ever be used in the same sentence...

Understated, classic, useful, full-fledged.
Holy crap! That is beautiful...now you've got me second guessing my honing in on the polar lol...
Old 28 March 2018, 12:37 PM   #18
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
The best Rolex on the planet.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 12:53 PM   #19
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum!

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 02:19 PM   #20
Maximus84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp. II 16570
I have pretty small wrists also, around 6.5in. I went for an early Z serial (2006) Polar 16570. SEL, no holes case and 3185. Probably one of the last ones prior to moving to the engraved rehaut and 3186. It fits perfectly, and IMO the SELs are such an improvement on the folded links. Don't add any bulk IMO.

Best of luck on your hunt - I've had mine almost 18mths and use it every day for work and it has been excellent.
Maximus84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 02:37 PM   #21
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

I bought a 16570 Polar for my Nephew a few years ago. He just took it to the AD for a cleaning but said he didn't want it polished, just a cleaning. He was also told by his CO not to wear it to work again, it wasn't appropriate
Runnin' Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 03:40 PM   #22
speedymoonman
"TRF" Member

just got this a few weeks ago.. & i really wanted an SEL. But i don't think you can't go wrong with any type of Explorer II

speedymoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 05:21 PM   #23
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Speaking of Luminova, SuperLuminova, etc... here's nice read...

http://timetransformed.com/2015/08/3...nova-runs-out/
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 11:22 PM   #24
brand_c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
I bought a 16570 Polar for my Nephew a few years ago. He just took it to the AD for a cleaning but said he didn't want it polished, just a cleaning. He was also told by his CO not to wear it to work again, it wasn't appropriate
Hmm what line of work was he in? The polar is so subtle though
brand_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 11:44 PM   #25
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand_c View Post
Hmm what line of work was he in? The polar is so subtle though
CO would suggest "commanding officer" to me, so likely the military.
Old 28 March 2018, 11:59 PM   #26
Ballzzz

Very informative thread, newbie me doesn't know what SEL is but I can search.

Is there a premium in the market for one dial vs the other like the premium for the updated movement? Or is it just preference on the dial excluding the lume "difference"?
Old 29 March 2018, 12:10 AM   #27
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vacheron
I have a u series with a t dial and the lume still works fine at night.
I like the drilled lugs too
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 12:27 AM   #28
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Very informative thread, newbie me doesn't know what SEL is but I can search.

Is there a premium in the market for one dial vs the other like the premium for the updated movement? Or is it just preference on the dial excluding the lume "difference"?
Nah - the price difference for the new movement is most substantial. There's a bit of a difference for a newer piece with the updated lume, but that's really just because of normal aging (e.g. a watch from 2003 has lost less value than one from 1993) - I think that's the primary reason for the price difference.

The exception here is for the tritium dials with exceptional patina - for examples where the lume has yellowed evenly and matches the hands, there is actually a premium that you'd pay - this is entirely aesthetic. The patinated examples, by now, no longer glow at all.
Old 19 May 2018, 11:28 AM   #29
johndoe21883
"TRF" Member

Hey all,

Just wanted to give you guys an update on this...I ended up pulling the trigger on one! I got a model with lug holes and SELs (see attached photo). I'm really digging the watch, though now my beloved Speedmaster isn't getting any wrist time haha.

I've got a couple follow up questions though. I think I realized that at the end of the day, I'm just not a huge bracelet guy, so I'll probably eventually swap it out with some strap options (which is why I was drawn to the drilled lugs in the first place). However, this is my first watch with drilled lugs, and I already had to mess with them (I ended up turning the bracelet upside down to help better fit my small wrists), and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I essentially followed these instructions: _____. I guess to be more accurate, it was plenty easy, but I'm paranoid about scratching the underside of the lugs all the time by doing this. I used masking tape, but it only marginally protected the lugs. Is there a better method?

With that being said, I was also exploring some quick release strap options (something like this: _____). The idea of quick release straps seems cool because it would make it totally painless to swap out straps depending on your mood or attire, etc. But then I was worried...would that look funny since my watch has drilled lugs and the quick release spring bars presumably wouldn't protrude all the way through like the OEM ones do? Do they make shoulder-less (I think that's what they're called) quick release spring bars?

Any feedback would be great. And of course, any suggestions on strap options would be welcomed as well.

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6037.jpg (273.7 KB, 619 views)
Old 19 May 2018, 01:20 PM   #30
johndoe21883
"TRF" Member

Sorry, apparently I can’t post links yet. The first “blank” was a reference to a YouTube video from Crown and Caliber on “How to Replace a Watch Bracelet with Holes in the Lugs”. The second “blank” was a link to a khaki canvas quick release strap from Barton Watch Bands.