The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2019, 12:38 AM   #1
russ86
"TRF" Member

Rolex is no longer a tool watch, thoughts and comments.

I was in Caribbean’s last week and I love diving, a lot. I have 6 Rolex watches in total including a Sub and Deep Sea Blue, but for my diving watch I picked Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chronograph. For sore reason not only I felt bad taking Rolex to the bottom with me but also I though what if something will happen to it and water will get in somehow and I will be stuck with expensive repair. For some reason they started to look fragile to me for that task that they were manufactured for. And I realized that Rolex from tool watch became a luxury only watch to me.

The only watch that I use as a tool watch is a Pepsi GMT whenever I go to Europe and thats pretty much it.

Does anyone actually used Subs to dive with them?
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 12:47 AM   #2
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
I have a SubC. It’s my go to watch if I’m planning to go somewhere rugged. It’s been in the sea and the pool. That’s about it.

I don’t baby it by any means. I wear the hell out of it and it gives me joy. Can’t say the same about my 5711 though....
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 12:51 AM   #3
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

The whole “tool watch” thing these days is mostly a myth propagated by wealthy white-collar men who want to rationalise spending thousands of pounds on jewellery.
Old 31 March 2019, 12:52 AM   #4
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Started out as tool watches but now jewelry first...see 2tone SD43 for proof!
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 12:54 AM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Tool watches from Rolex morphed to Jewel watches!!! They haven't been tool watches for quite a while. Of course there are some tools who own Rolex watches; that would be the exception!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 12:55 AM   #6
Dr Watches
Banned

A $10,000 tool watch that’s functionally inferior to a $150 alternative isn’t much of a tool. There’s nothing provocative about that.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:00 AM   #7
Nadster
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ, Exp, Sub LB
If you want a Rolex tool watch just buy the SS version of whatever complication you need. Otherwise, buy some quartz watch with what you need for much less $. Plenty of other options out there.
Nadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:00 AM   #8
Brew
"TRF" Member

The watches today meet or exceed all of the old "tool" specs. What's the problem, other than perception and preference? If they're not tools today, perhaps they never really were, but were just marketed as such by a really smart guy.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:10 AM   #9
Case61
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes, my Sub has been through a lot, including diving, swimming, hiking, and traveling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ND Bonaire deep--trf.jpg (219.5 KB, 1504 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex ND 1 underwater--8-29-14.jpg (56.8 KB, 1503 views)
File Type: jpg ND Sabino 10-13-16-TRF.jpg (217.7 KB, 1503 views)
File Type: jpg Petra-ND and Treasury--resized trf.jpg (156.0 KB, 1500 views)
Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:13 AM   #10
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
The watches today meet or exceed all of the old "tool" specs. What's the problem, other than perception and preference? If they're not tools today, perhaps they never really were, but were just marketed as such by a really smart guy.
Cost and competition are the problems; it's as simple as that. In their prime they were needed to do the job. Now there are many much cheaper alternatives that equal or surpass the Rolex performance. Seems that this goes without saying and that the question wasn't too well thought out.

Old 31 March 2019, 01:14 AM   #11
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Maybe true (no longer a tool watch) but it doesn't bother me at all.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:14 AM   #12
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a personal problem, honestly. Today's Rolex watches are just as robust—if not more so—than past iterations.
Old 31 March 2019, 01:15 AM   #13
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Watches View Post
A $10,000 tool watch that’s functionally inferior to a $150 alternative isn’t much of a tool. There’s nothing provocative about that.
Well said!
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:17 AM   #14
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Tool watch is an image. Forking out $15,000 of hard cash out of your bank account is very real.

For robustness and outdoor, I wear my $200 Seiko and I love it.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:23 AM   #15
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I own a pair of nice Rolex and also a pair of great tool watches... which are G shocks.

Only my GMT is used «properly». I am a frequent time zone crossing traveler and even if a g shock does it better my Rolex feels better in a business meeting.

Old 31 March 2019, 01:24 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Choosing to use a Tag instead of a perfectly functional Rolex is a personal decision and doesn't reflect on Rolex at all.

A Rolex dive watch is considerably more capable today, of performing the "tool function" it was conceived for, than it ever has been.
Old 31 March 2019, 01:30 AM   #17
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you insist on using an abacus instead of a calculator to do your taxes, I'd argue that it's more an affectation than a tool. If you insist on using a ten-thousand-dollar abacus, even more so.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:33 AM   #18
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting conversation.

Let me ask you all this? Can you go diving with your Sub, SD, SD43, DSSD, or gasp TT SD43? If the answer is yes then I believe the watch lives up to its name. Is a modern dive computer a better alternative for obvious reasons. Yes of course. But that doesn't negate the fact that your watch will perform as tested to its depth rating. When I dive now, I use both a computer and my watch. The computer provides me with realtime information no mechanical dive watch could ever hope to do.

FWIW I am a certified diver and have dove with Rolex dive watches for years and have never had an issue. I even set the bezel and check it :)

I also agree that Rolex has moved up into the luxury jewelry category. Doesn't mean for a second their professional watches won't work as described.

My first Rolex was a Sea Dweller and I didn't get another for a long time. That watch was my daily for almost a decade. I did 50-75 dives with it, snorkeled hundreds of times, white water rafted, mountain biked, hiked, skied hundreds of days and traveled all over. Never serviced it and it never missed a beat. If that's not a tool watch, I don't know what is but to me it served its purpose as a reliable and dependable timepiece in all kinds of situations.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:44 AM   #19
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan1987 View Post
I was in Caribbean’s last week and I love diving, a lot. I have 6 Rolex watches in total including a Sub and Deep Sea Blue, but for my diving watch I picked Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chronograph. For sore reason not only I felt bad taking Rolex to the bottom with me but also I though what if something will happen to it and water will get in somehow and I will be stuck with expensive repair. For some reason they started to look fragile to me for that task that they were manufactured for. And I realized that Rolex from tool watch became a luxury only watch to me.

The only watch that I use as a tool watch is a Pepsi GMT whenever I go to Europe and thats pretty much it.

Does anyone actually used Subs to dive with them?
Modern professional model Rolexes are more robust, accurate, and tough than their older siblings. Now, they do cost a lot more than they did 50 years ago, even when accounting for inflation. So, its up to you whether you want to have that money in a watch that you use hardily. So, your comments above aren't really a problem with the watch, its the owner's issue with how they want to use the watch.

I use my Sub to dive/snorkel regularly. I hike and go to the gym in it, too. The bracelet is a little beat up, but it still looks great to me. If you are afraid to use an $8,000 watch for these things then spend about $3,000 on a Black Bay--the only big things you are missing is a ceramic bezel and 904L steel (which I think looks better than 316L after a beating, but that's a personal judgement). The Tudor movement is just as accurate and I'm guessing the movement is as robust, but I will let a more knowledgeable member weigh in on that.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:56 AM   #20
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
To me it's not about whether or not Rolex watches can handle the abuse, sure they can. The question is, are they they best tools for the respective jobs? That answer is a resounding NO. Anyone who owns a Rolex has the means to buy the best tool for a given job, but there is a psychological condition that makes them choose to use a Rolex for those jobs instead...and that's okay, we all have human conditions that shouldn't need to be justified.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 01:58 AM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Really silly thread, imho!!! 40 years ago if one wanted a good water proof tool watch or GMT, Rolex was the first choice. Though a bit pricy there just weren't too many good alternatives. Today's Rolex is ten time as expensive as the competition. The watches of course are capable but hardly the first choice as they once were. Most buy Rolex as expensive watch jewelry. They may wear them for the tool purpose they were once designed to perform. They certainly are capable but they are hardly the most obvious, cost effective choices. They are pretty much reserved for swells with thick wallets as opposed to the run of the mill guy needing a watch for a functional task.

We can all justify the purchase by saying they'll do the job but truthfully the number of times these pampered watch get put to the test approaches zero in their life time. Yes I like Rolex and I wear mine in the ocean or for whatever challenge comes however I can afford to own one and don't mind the wear and tear. I also like their maintaining their value. If I was making less then they'd likely be my last choice. I'm a Rolex fan and the choice is not an issue for me. For those who collect Rolex or love the brand they become an obvious alternative; for other not so!!!

Old 31 March 2019, 02:00 AM   #22
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Rolex is a tool watch like a Mercedes G is necessary for driving on dirt roads.

No mechanical watch has been a “tool” for decades. They serve useful functions, but it’s almost always secondary to the key buying criteria.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:02 AM   #23
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Tool watches from Rolex morphed to Jewel watches!!! They haven't been tool watches for quite a while. Of course there are some tools who own Rolex watches; that would be the exception!!!
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:03 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Jewellery doesn't have a function other than as a pretty adornment, so no working watch is jewellery, whether it has other functions of practical use to you or not is up to you to choose.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:08 AM   #25
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Jewellery doesn't have a function other than as a pretty adornment, so no working watch is jewellery, whether it has other functions of practical use to you or not is up to you to choose.
What type of store are Rolex watches sold at?

Old 31 March 2019, 02:13 AM   #26
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Meant to add...

“Tool watch” is a phrase people use to be dismissive of watches more expensive or different in style to the ones they prefer. An Omega SMP is not more a “tool watch” than a two tone Sea-dweller or gold Patek simply because it’s SS and cheaper.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:20 AM   #27
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

I agree with the OP on this one. I mean most of the time even though I own a lot of nice watches I wear my Garmin Fenix. That's a true tool watch. Tracks my heart rate gives me my GPS for when I'm running lots of data that I actually use. The data I could get from an analog watch is so old school that I wouldn't use it at all.

That said I'm not a diver or a pilot so I don't know if there's true utility in that scene anymore. For me the only Rolex I still see as a tool watch does applicable to my lifestyle is the GMT since I do travel. Again I could set that on my watch but neither of which look as nice as multiple time zones on the GMT. So I would definitely agree that this is mostly jewelry at this point and less of the tool spectrum given how everything is digitalized nowadays including professional diving watches which are really diving computers.

and what's interesting to me is that Rolex has a tool watch never really appealed to me.so it took me awhile to really get myself motivated to buy one. And the one that I did buy recently was a GMT. but at the same time it didn't really meet some of the aesthetic qualities I would think of with a true jewelry or dress up watch. So it definitely has a niche population and I think a lot of us who are following it are doing so because of the value in history.

I mean obviously it definitely has a solid tool purpose but how many of us are really using it for that purpose?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
oxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:24 AM   #28
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

How dare he wear his watch for such a thing, hasn't he seen this thread??

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=666196
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:30 AM   #29
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
There is some truth in this, but one also has to account for pricing and availability. Back in the day, Rolex sports watches were reasonably priced and readily available so people did not think twice using them for their intended purpose. With this whole scarcity/collectibility issue, most sports watches end up being used with more care, if they don't end up in a safe. So it is not the watches that changed, but the way people treat them.
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:31 AM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
What type of store are Rolex watches sold at?
If they are sold along side jewellery that doesn't alter the nature of the watch and what it is, they are not a leatherer just because straps are sold there too, and don't get me started on rubbers.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote