The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2018, 01:52 AM   #1
TSingh
"TRF" Member

Interesting encounter with a fellow WIS

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share an interesting experience I had with a fellow WIS.

I think it's fair to say that our watches don't get noticed as much as we would expect, which I prefer. I've been at university for 3 months now and I haven't had a single person mention my watch, apart from a brief conversation with one of the Chinese foreign exchange students, where I commented on his Hulk, he didn't seem to really care about his watch.

Anyway, I got a bit of an injury on my hand and was rushed to hospital on Sunday. While I was having stitches put into my hand, the Orthopaedic surgeon noticed my watch and asked me about it. We had a fantastic conversation about Rolex's and our collection of watches and how hard it is to obtain SS sports models. He's currently looking at getting a DJ41 on a jubilee bracelet, I let him check out my DJ36 on an oyster bracelet and he really liked the size of the watch and was surprised how nice the Oyster bracelet looked in person on a DJ. He was wearing an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra James Bond 007, I was actually surprised at the quality of that watch, I'd never really looked at Omega that highly but this watch was amazing!
I just thought it was quite funny that while I was having stitches put into my hand I was having a conversation with the surgeon about watches

Now maybe I should get on with my assignment haha, mandatory watch pic.
TSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:36 AM   #2
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
I love those moments when you meet a watch enthusiast in the real world! I've had very few of those myself, but it's always a great time when I have!
Carondelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 03:04 AM   #3
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Meeting another WIS in the wild is always a lot of fun. I wish I had more encounters like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 December 2018, 03:11 AM   #4
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
It looks like you converted him…

Did you tell him about TRF and that he Needed to be a part of it?

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 04:13 AM   #5
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Meeting another WIS in the wild is always a lot of fun. I wish I had more encounters like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed! I have it happen like a handful of times a year, if that.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 04:43 AM   #6
watchstudent
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and a Speedy
On a couple of occasions i have commented on a patients nice watch and on both occasions i was very glad i did.

One man was wearing a Breitling Superocean chrono i think. He was very unwell and didn't have very long to live and was too ill to travel. He and his wife had gone to an AD not long ago and bought it. He wasn't a rich man but had always wanted a Breitling, so thought fuck it, i am dying, i want one. He was delighted I noticed and we chatted for 5 mins about his lovely watch, I wish I wasn't so busy and could have stayed longer.

Another very elderly man was rather confused with probably an infection, not talking much sense at all. I noticed a gold day date on a leather strap, champagne dial, well worn but still lovely. I said "nice watch sir" not expecting any response at all really (he didn't seem to know what day it was or his own birthday). He told me it was 50 years old, kept time to within 5 seconds a month and knew a man who could service a Rolex for £60. He took it off that horrible bracelet as soon as he got it and didn't know where it was now! Suddenly he was able to tell me about his old job and what had been happening recently. Watch chat worked better than antibiotics! (although I clearly still gave him some!). Just wish he could remember the name of the chap that serviced his watch!

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
watchstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 05:08 AM   #7
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
On a couple of occasions i have commented on a patients nice watch and on both occasions i was very glad i did.

One man was wearing a Breitling Superocean chrono i think. He was very unwell and didn't have very long to live and was too ill to travel. He and his wife had gone to an AD not long ago and bought it. He wasn't a rich man but had always wanted a Breitling, so thought fuck it, i am dying, i want one. He was delighted I noticed and we chatted for 5 mins about his lovely watch, I wish I wasn't so busy and could have stayed longer.

Another very elderly man was rather confused with probably an infection, not talking much sense at all. I noticed a gold day date on a leather strap, champagne dial, well worn but still lovely. I said "nice watch sir" not expecting any response at all really (he didn't seem to know what day it was or his own birthday). He told me it was 50 years old, kept time to within 5 seconds a month and knew a man who could service a Rolex for £60. He took it off that horrible bracelet as soon as he got it and didn't know where it was now! Suddenly he was able to tell me about his old job and what had been happening recently. Watch chat worked better than antibiotics! (although I clearly still gave him some!). Just wish he could remember the name of the chap that serviced his watch!

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing this. The story about the man with the Breitling hit especially close to home. Even a simple comment can lead to something very meaningful, and I'm quite positive you really brightened his day.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 05:08 AM   #8
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I'm glad he didn't bring up the Moon Watch!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 05:10 AM   #9
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Great story - hope you’re feeling better!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 11:09 AM   #10
TSingh
"TRF" Member

Was really nice to meet a fellow WIS especially in such an unexpected scenario haha, thank you for the get well soon wishes. Also nice to hear your stories watchstudent
TSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 11:56 AM   #11
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

That's awesome...probably kept your mind off whatever he was doing to you too. Smooth doc.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote