The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Bought/buying your first Rolex: New and Pre-Owned?
Pre-Owned 54 31.21%
New 119 68.79%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 March 2019, 01:23 PM   #1
boychild
"TRF" Member

First Rolex as Pre-Owned or New?

Would love to hear what made it so special buying new or pre-owned for your first Rolex. Cheers!
boychild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 02:18 PM   #2
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
All I can offer is my experience. Went through a long research process and decided in the end I wanted a Rolex sub. I actually bought a cheap DH Gate copy and wore it for a few months to see if I liked wearing it. (yeah, I know, but I hadn't worn a watch in 10 years and didn't want to make an expensive mistake if I hated having something on my wrist again.) It was actually not bad. Kept great time. But my GF hated it as an obvious fake. (Her parents both have Rolexes) Anyway, she thought I should get a Rolex too.

We went to the local AD... We were planning on making this kind of fun day. Go there, pick out the watch I wanted, get it sized, go to dinner... I hadn't actually spent any time here yet and didn't know about the reality of SS sports models at AD's. It went about like you read here.

The whole experience did ramp up my internet Rolex presence. In the end I went with a 14060M, almost new with box and papers. I preferred that model to the new ones and it was a few K less on the grey market. I am comfortable with previously owned but very well taken care of (cars/etc). I estimate that the watch I bought had about a week of wrist wear in it's entire life, given what it looked like after I had owned it for another week. I really wanted the box and papers/full set/almost new thing for my first but would probably be willing to let it go if I get another some day.
csaltphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 03:19 PM   #3
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

First Rolex as Pre-Owned or New?

Buy new with your name on the card for your first. Wasn’t my fist but my first after 13 years and a theft. (My first was from an AD) I’ve got a post on how after 2 years of searching my desperation led me to buy my Sub from a grey and a month later got lucky and got my SD43 from AD if you care to search. I never connected with the sub like I did with my SD43. My 2 cents been there done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mbdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 03:20 PM   #4
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
Given the current market condition, I'd try to buy new from AD as much as possible
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 03:40 PM   #5
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I didn’t buy my first pre-owned Rolex, I found it in the trash when I was a teenager. It was an oyster perpetual who had suffered severe water damages, the dial was rusting and the watch didn’t work at all. I showed it to my mom who told me that if I could get it fixed for less than $100 she would give me the money. I lived no too far from a very small watchmaker shop (I grew up in Paris ) , the shop was tiny, literally like a closet... the watchmaker opened the case the movement was all rusted. He told me he wasn’t sure if it was at all fixable, but to come back in one month. I did, he had removed the rush form a lot of the various gears and such from the movement, but he told me that he needed to source-out some parts and figure out how to have the dial re-printed... it took 6 month, but the watch was fixed, under $100 as agreed. Dial looked good, it was working perfect and suddenly realized I had myself a Rolex for less than $100. I wore this oyster perpetual for many years and then it was stored in a box for 20 years. Just before I got married I opened a drawer to get something, and here was the box. I took the watch out and as soon as it was in my hand, the second hand started moving again, just like magic. I couldn’t wear it because after 20 years in America I gained 50lbs and the wrist did not fit the watch anymore. I asked my wife to be, to wear it for a few days to see if it still kept accurate time. It did.

I decided to give it to her , but first I want d to have it serviced. This time I went to Rolex RSC in Beverly Hills. They took the watch to have it assessed and then 20 mn later, the nice woman behind the counter told me the bad news. My Rolex wasn’t an Oyster Perpetual... it was an Air king. I guess the watchmaker who 30 years ago fixed my watch couldn’t find an Air King dial, but probably found a used oyster perpetual one. At the time both watch were the same size and had the same case. Rolex put in a new Air King face (my wife got to choose the color) and new hands, a new crown, rebuilt the watch from scratch, replaced the sapphire Chrystal . The watch came out like new, and got a third life. That’s why I love Rolex so much, they just work...

A few weeks later, After reflecting on the amazing story of this watch, and realizing how great Rolex is, I decided to buy myself one . Got a 16740 coke from Patrick Aka OCrolexguy. Since then I have acquired a few more, some new but most pre-owned. Because of my Air King experience, I have a soft spot for pre-owned watches + I am getting into vintage... cheers.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 03:57 PM   #6
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
I bought pre-owned for my 1st, 2nd and 3rd....4th brand new....5th & 6th pre-owned.

I highly recommend pre-owned if your buying from someone or dealer that you trust, have checked out their reputation, and has all the relevant documentation to authenticate the watch....you can’t go wrong with brand new
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

When I was in a position to buy my first, I knew I wanted a 14060M 2 liner. That model had been discontinued for 6 years at the time of purchase so pre owned was the only option. My AD referred me to a second hand dealer who has been in business for over 30 years. He had 2 of them and I bought the one with a D serial number(2005) which happens to be the year I entered my profession.
Old 6 March 2019, 04:34 PM   #8
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
It’s a different time now. Buying pre-owned used to save you thousands. Now, not so much. I guess it really depends on how you feel about it. First time through and AD is nice or if you want to start a relationship with them. But you will find what you want going through a grey dealer faster than an AD.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 04:41 PM   #9
roznalos
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I think pre-owned is good if you want either a model that is discontinued or if you want to save some cash. I have not bought from an AD before, therefore I have not experienced it, so can't comment on that.
roznalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 04:43 PM   #10
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
No preference for me.

Condition, price and package are deciders.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 08:22 PM   #11
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

Don’t mind 2nd hand but when it come to SS sport models I’d def want a new watch from the AD.
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 08:25 PM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

first one, has to be new. For me that would be a must. I would be more flexible down the road.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 08:34 PM   #13
Noah860
"TRF" Member

I would start by picking the watch you want and go from there if you want a hard to get stainless model, it may involve a long wait list or an upcharge from a second hand dealer. If your looking for five digits then patience is paramount!

I’m a firm believer in a quick decision almost always being a poor decision.

FIND THE MODEL YOURE AFTER, and go from there!
Noah860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 08:38 PM   #14
glamorama
"TRF" Member

New or new from reputable grey dealer to not get screwed. So many things to look out for when buying used, plus it's nice if you are both 'virgins' for the first one I suppose.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 09:08 PM   #15
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

All my Rolex came new from AD but that was before SS sport drought, now many may have no choice but getting them used
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 09:28 PM   #16
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
My first was bought through a trusted seller here on TRF, and every one since. The “new” experience means little to me, and I may be a bit more “frugal” than some. A watch in excellent condition brings just as much joy as a child opening a Christmas gift !

Old 6 March 2019, 09:37 PM   #17
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
It is about availability and pricing. If all things are equal then I would defer to preowned and save some money and still end up with the same watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 10:42 PM   #18
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
I’m surprised by the results so far. Out of my 3, two were very intentional pre-owned purchases (my 1st and 3rd) because Rolex didn’t make them anymore. The only one that I got because availability made it difficult was the 16710, and I don’t regret that for a second. It’s interesting that so many feel that a ‘first’ Rolex is actually a thing somehow symbolizing something attained in life. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong in that it’s just I didn’t feel that way. Rolex was the reason I felt really in touch with watches again after 3 years of the Apple Watch.
Old 6 March 2019, 10:55 PM   #19
mml4
"TRF" Member

Pre owned from a trusted seller is fine as long as you realize it likely received a light polish at the very least. For myself I prefer new from an AD or a Trusted Seller.
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 12:10 AM   #20
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Never bought a Rolex pre-owned.All new from AD.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 12:14 AM   #21
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Decide whether you prefer currently available references. If you prefer the older references then your choice has been made for you. If you want a current reference I would suggest buying new if you can stand the wait.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 01:57 AM   #22
Nadster
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ, Exp, Sub LB
Currently with the market as it is the only reason I would purchase from an AD is to get a watch at MSRP plus tax. For example, a steel sports watch. Otherwise, I would go with a gray dealer for everything else that offers at least a 3 year warranty and has a Rolex trained watch maker on staff. They typically sell "pre-owned" watches less than MSRP with no tax. Not so with the steel or high demand watches which can be well over MSRP. A lot of their watches come from dealers going out of business, selling old stock, or selling inventory to the grays for financial reasons to pay their bills.
Nadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 03:13 AM   #23
npx60
"TRF" Member

For me it all depends on the price, if you know someone who has a good relationship with an AD or are lcuky to find one who is willing to give you a better price, then go new. My first rolex was new because the AD was willing to give me such a good price. My second rolex was pre-owned. It was a more expensive watch with diamond dial and bezel and was able to purchase it at almost half the price of a new one.
npx60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 03:16 AM   #24
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
I didn’t buy my first pre-owned Rolex, I found it in the trash when I was a teenager. It was an oyster perpetual who had suffered severe water damages, the dial was rusting and the watch didn’t work at all. I showed it to my mom who told me that if I could get it fixed for less than $100 she would give me the money. I lived no too far from a very small watchmaker shop (I grew up in Paris ) , the shop was tiny, literally like a closet... the watchmaker opened the case the movement was all rusted. He told me he wasn’t sure if it was at all fixable, but to come back in one month. I did, he had removed the rush form a lot of the various gears and such from the movement, but he told me that he needed to source-out some parts and figure out how to have the dial re-printed... it took 6 month, but the watch was fixed, under $100 as agreed. Dial looked good, it was working perfect and suddenly realized I had myself a Rolex for less than $100. I wore this oyster perpetual for many years and then it was stored in a box for 20 years. Just before I got married I opened a drawer to get something, and here was the box. I took the watch out and as soon as it was in my hand, the second hand started moving again, just like magic. I couldn’t wear it because after 20 years in America I gained 50lbs and the wrist did not fit the watch anymore. I asked my wife to be, to wear it for a few days to see if it still kept accurate time. It did.

I decided to give it to her , but first I want d to have it serviced. This time I went to Rolex RSC in Beverly Hills. They took the watch to have it assessed and then 20 mn later, the nice woman behind the counter told me the bad news. My Rolex wasn’t an Oyster Perpetual... it was an Air king. I guess the watchmaker who 30 years ago fixed my watch couldn’t find an Air King dial, but probably found a used oyster perpetual one. At the time both watch were the same size and had the same case. Rolex put in a new Air King face (my wife got to choose the color) and new hands, a new crown, rebuilt the watch from scratch, replaced the sapphire Chrystal . The watch came out like new, and got a third life. That’s why I love Rolex so much, they just work...

A few weeks later, After reflecting on the amazing story of this watch, and realizing how great Rolex is, I decided to buy myself one . Got a 16740 coke from Patrick Aka OCrolexguy. Since then I have acquired a few more, some new but most pre-owned. Because of my Air King experience, I have a soft spot for pre-owned watches + I am getting into vintage... cheers.
Incredible story, thanks for sharing!
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:42 AM   #25
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
I bought my first Day Date back in 1982 for $3400
My have times changed!
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:46 AM   #26
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I did DSW first and many times after. Worked for me.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 08:04 AM   #27
T01
"TRF" Member

I just love new, especially these days with prices how they are.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 08:25 AM   #28
dylan0024
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea and Batman
new
dylan0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 08:30 AM   #29
danwatchdill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
My first was a pre-owned after doing a lot of research from posts on these forums. I bought a 2003 Polar Explorer II, so I didn't have an option of new obviously. The more you start researching, it's not apples to apples in terms of new to pre-owned, and sometimes you might prefer the look of a pre-owned watch that is no longer present in the new version.
danwatchdill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 08:34 AM   #30
Nepats81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post

Wow really cool story. thanks for sharing!
Nepats81 is offline   Reply With Quote