The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 May 2019, 05:41 AM   #1
hundegger
"TRF" Member

116234 Datejust Roulette Date

Hi everyone!

This is my first post - I've been following along for about a week and love to read through all the threads and comments.

I'm about to purchase an 116234 DJ, Jubilee, Fluted, Blue Dial w/ batons.
My local AD is changing the dial from a Roman to Baton but I'm unsure wether the date wheel will be roulette. I haven't had the chance to see the watch on an uneven date yet.

Question isn't wether or not it'll come with the roulette, as I'm aware you all won't be able to tell me.
I'm more interested in knowing if the date wheel follows the dial or the watch itself? AFAIK the watch was born with a Black Diamond set dial. Would the Blue Baton dial that they ordered and are installing have the roulette?

I think it all boils down to the following:

Do new dials ship with a new date wheel? Or does the date wheel follow the watch itself?
If the new dial and in turn the watch I'll be getting doesn't have the roulette, do you all think it would be ok to ask for it? Or should I just accept an all-black date wheel?

Thanks for all replies! Have a great day!
hundegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 05:47 AM   #2
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Black diamond (G-Black) and blue roman dials were both associated from factory with all black date wheel. Probably that's this all black date wheel that is actually in your watch.

Blue stick dial DJ 1162xx have always come originally from factory with roulette date wheel.

But my feeling is that your AD have just ordered the dial not the date wheel. If you want it , ask him to order it ...
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 05:50 AM   #3
Curt941
"TRF" Member

If it doesn't have a roulette wheel currently, they probably didn't order one, unless you specifically asked for it.
Curt941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 06:05 AM   #4
hundegger
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses. If the Blue baton dial came with a roulette date wheel from the factory, I'll probably have them order it for me. Shouldn't be a problem, as they are usually very nice about changing the dials within the first three months of ownership.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 22 May 2019, 06:06 AM   #5
balmung0
Banned

Watch: ROLEX 116710BLNR
why do you want to switch dial instead of order a new one? I won't ever want to get Frankenstein watch for luxurious piece.
balmung0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 06:20 AM   #6
hundegger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmung0 View Post
why do you want to switch dial instead of order a new one? I won't ever want to get Frankenstein watch for luxurious piece.
Not really switching dials, as such. I want the blue baton dial, and my AD isn't able to get a new watch with that dial from factory because I'm specifically requesting the 116234, so they offered to order a new blue baton dial and put that in. Not really sure I'd call it a Frankenwatch because of that. But that's just me.
Old 22 May 2019, 06:22 AM   #7
Alpino
"TRF" Member

As long as it's a genuine dial and and valid configuration for the particular model, in no way it will become a frankenwatch ... don't worry about that
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 06:27 AM   #8
torrente
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundegger View Post
Not really switching dials, as such. I want the blue baton dial, and my AD isn't able to get a new watch with that dial from factory because I'm specifically requesting the 116234, so they offered to order a new blue baton dial and put that in. Not really sure I'd call it a Frankenwatch because of that. But that's just me.
I would not care about it. I was worried that the specific dial is specified on the warranty and that could be a problem in the future but I checked the warranty card of my 116234 and it does not specify it, it might be a good idea to have the dial specified on purchasing invoice.
Regarding roulette, while I really like it I would not ask for it in a dial that does not bring it.
torrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 06:38 AM   #9
hundegger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrente View Post
I would not care about it. I was worried that the specific dial is specified on the warranty and that could be a problem in the future but I checked the warranty card of my 116234 and it does not specify it, it might be a good idea to have the dial specified on purchasing invoice.
Regarding roulette, while I really like it I would not ask for it in a dial that does not bring it.
I totally get your point, and partly agree with you. Not really a big deal for me as such, but since the Blue baton dial ‘should’ come with a roulette I’m kind of inclined to ask them to order it, and have it retrofitted. I’ll have to see how they stand on the subject when I go to talk to them on Friday.
Old 22 May 2019, 07:22 AM   #10
pkincy
"TRF" Member

I ran into the same situation wanting the 116234 for the hidden clasp as well as the white index dial. Neither of which come with the 2019 126234 model. I did put in an order in early January, but it was not filled until the new DJs started filling the pipeline. So I spent considerable time searching and found the 116234 I wanted at an AD in another state. I also was willing to go slightly preowned if necessary. I suppose a dial change is simple enough but my first and local AD was not willing to do that. Nor would they do a bracelet change as they had the 116234 I wanted but on an Oyster not the Jubilee.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 07:40 AM   #11
hundegger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
I ran into the same situation wanting the 116234 for the hidden clasp as well as the white index dial. Neither of which come with the 2019 126234 model. I did put in an order in early January, but it was not filled until the new DJs started filling the pipeline. So I spent considerable time searching and found the 116234 I wanted at an AD in another state. I also was willing to go slightly preowned if necessary. I suppose a dial change is simple enough but my first and local AD was not willing to do that. Nor would they do a bracelet change as they had the 116234 I wanted but on an Oyster not the Jubilee.
See, I don't get why an AD wouldn't try to accommodate your request in that particular case. 1. They'd get your business, 2. You'd probably go to them next time you're looking for rolex or any other jewlery, 3. i'm sure it wouldn't be abig cost for them. That extra dial that they'd end up with, or the watch with the opposite strap probably would get sold one day or the other.
I'm glad you found the watch elsewhere though.
Old 22 May 2019, 10:09 AM   #12
torrente
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundegger View Post
I totally get your point, and partly agree with you. Not really a big deal for me as such, but since the Blue baton dial ‘should’ come with a roulette I’m kind of inclined to ask them to order it, and have it retrofitted. I’ll have to see how they stand on the subject when I go to talk to them on Friday.
If blue comes with roulette no doubt, ask for it. I have a white dial with roulette and red days were special for me, no joking. I say were because lately I am not wearing it, but for sure the day that I will wear it again will be red.
torrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 10:20 AM   #13
hundegger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If blue comes with roulette no doubt, ask for it. I have a white dial with roulette and red days were special for me, no joking. I say were because lately I am not wearing it, but for sure the day that I will wear it again will be red.
Yeah, I definitely understand where you're coming from. I'll see what they have to say on friday. When looking through the Dials Catalog for the 116234, it specifically says (I'm paraphrasing): "Black, Blue, White & Blac Arab Conc: These dials are supplied with two-colour date display:
- even numbers in black
- odd numbers in red"

For what it's worth, maybe my AD is a stickler for these things as well, and make sure that it'll come this way. We'll see. Sometimes it's tough to get talk to the same sales person, as I'm never in on the same days. Maybe I'm lucky, and it's the guy I've talked to before. Oh well, starting to rant now..
Old 22 May 2019, 01:11 PM   #14
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
I agree with this, I really enjoy red days when I am wearing my DateJust a. Roulette wheel is great.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 05:36 AM   #15
hundegger
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I'll see what the AD has to say on friday. If all fails with them, I've found the watch at another AD.