The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 July 2021, 03:13 AM   #1
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Mayors USA New Strategy from Sept 2021

An AD friend who works at the aforementioned informed me that Mayors are embarrassed by the empty Rolex cases. A corporate decision has been made to not sell a specific sports watch, instead keep it in the case until they have another to replace it with. The concept is that you enter the store and see/try each variant to allow a waiting list to be generated. As soon as another piece arrives to replace the one in the case the piece is sold to the next on the list.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:18 AM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Yes, but this is a Rolex-driven effort. Some U.S. ADs are receiving exhibition models (display only) and other ADs appear to be receiving actual working models that they have to keep on display for a certain period of time (or perhaps until a new model comes in to replace it). WOS and Tourneau are participating in the rollout of this program. Interesting developments. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=811704
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:26 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Having display models for potential customers to see in person sounds like a good idea. These days, the place to go see a SS Rolex is at a B&M pre-owned watch re-seller, rather than and AD.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:29 AM   #4
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quite frankly I astonished this hasn’t been Rolex AD policy for years already.

A welcome policy.

Now you can even try on a watch you won’t be able to buy!
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:31 AM   #5
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
A policy that actually makes sense. One thing I have to know, how did you get that cool avatar?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:33 AM   #6
dannyp
Banned

For customers' sake, I hope that in practical terms this means that they are in fact selling the new one, and leaving the display one out. Seems better than ensuring each customer receives a watch 6,000 other people have been handling/trying/dinging against jewelry.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:34 AM   #7
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

The only thing this will surely ensue are longer waitlists
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:37 AM   #8
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Yes, but this is a Rolex-driven effort. Some U.S. ADs are receiving exhibition models (display only) and other ADs appear to be receiving actual working models that they have to keep on display for a certain period of time (or perhaps until a new model comes in to replace it). WOS and Tourneau are participating in the rollout of this program. Interesting developments. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=811704
The OP, if accurate (by which I mean: if the AD gave an accurate account), seems to suggest that the working ones are part of dealers' allocation, while the non-working ones are Rolex-owned.
Old 30 July 2021, 03:39 AM   #9
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Rolex should just supply exhibition models
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:40 AM   #10
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
The only thing this will surely ensue are longer waitlists

Exactly! Just means the local ADs will find more people they deem more worthy to sell a watch to rather than me.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:42 AM   #11
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Having display models for potential customers to see in person sounds like a good idea. These days, the place to go see a SS Rolex is at a B&M pre-owned watch re-seller, rather than and AD.
+1.

Crazy having to go down to the pushy diamond district on 47th just to see a watch.

Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:42 AM   #12
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
For customers' sake, I hope that in practical terms this means that they are in fact selling the new one, and leaving the display one out. Seems better than ensuring each customer receives a watch 6,000 other people have been handling/trying/dinging against jewelry.
Agree
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 03:51 AM   #13
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Quite frankly I astonished this hasn’t been Rolex AD policy for years already.

A welcome policy.

Now you can even try on a watch you won’t be able to buy!
X2. That said, we will see Mr, Wallet-flexer come in, try one on fall in love and offer a obscene amount of $$ above msrp to walk out with it and that is when we will see what the store manger really does. I can see reasoning being the floor model has been handled too much and needs to be "rotated out" much like a dealers demo car.
Old 30 July 2021, 04:28 AM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
An AD friend who works at the aforementioned informed me that Mayors are embarrassed by the empty Rolex cases. A corporate decision has been made to not sell a specific sports watch, instead keep it in the case until they have another to replace it with. The concept is that you enter the store and see/try each variant to allow a waiting list to be generated. As soon as another piece arrives to replace the one in the case the piece is sold to the next on the list.

So a customer walks in, tries on a watch and then is told it cannot be sold to him. He will now have to wait but thanks for stopping by.

This will not end well if it ever starts. Not to mention that a piece that gets handled dozens of times will not be in such great shape.

Who bears the cost of these sample non-sellable watches? When an AD finds out they have to fill showcases with product they cannot sell?

Again, this is laughable
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 04:37 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wonder what the investment is to stock all WoS / Mayors store locations with 'display versions'? When you have many locations, am sure that can really add up... versus keeping 'active' stock and rotating it (plus it's not a 'sunken expenditure' as models change). Thus it seems like optimizing their financials to me, which in turn keeps operating costs down, which in turn can be invested into customer service, which in turn........

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 04:45 AM   #16
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

I honestly don't know how this will work out.

My experience at Rolex Boutique at South Coast Plaza (Run by Tourneau) was that they had all "hot" dummy pieces with exhibition only. I stopped in to try on one of the dummy Day Date with diamond they had on display and asked if they could let me know when one comes in.

SA said "We already have 6 people requesting this exact piece and we are looking at least 6 months per each which makes it 3 years wait". And she did not even bother.

What a poor experience.
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 04:51 AM   #17
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

This will result in an even worse experience than empty cases. Just keep them in the safe.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 04:54 AM   #18
AMulls
"TRF" Member

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. When I picked up my DJ41 the other day, my AD mentioned something that sounds like this policy. He said they had just been advised by Rolex that they needed to keep a certain number of watches in stock and in the cases. He said he thought it was 24, but wasn't certain. He wasn't sure how it was going to work as it was a brand new thing.

I didn't press him for more info, but I got the impression it was more of an inventory thing to help reduce waitlists, rather be a tease. More like, hey we have these in inventory and you can get one. When one goes out the door, they'd have to get another in. Not necessarily exhibition only pieces.

But again, I didn't press for details and it sounded like it was a very recent thing, so I'm guessing Rolex and the ADs are still trying to figure out what it means and how it will work.
AMulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 04:55 AM   #19
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
So a customer walks in, tries on a watch and then is told it cannot be sold to him. He will now have to wait but thanks for stopping by.

This will not end well if it ever starts. Not to mention that a piece that gets handled dozens of times will not be in such great shape.
The program has been up and running for several weeks and has been very well received. Customers are told up front the watches are NOT for sale... but they can look at them and see what they look like on the wrist.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 05:29 AM   #20
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
All this ongoing crud with Rolex watch supply is a hot mess.
Not to mention AD-embarrassing, frustrating and confusing for everyone.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 05:52 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
The program has been up and running for several weeks and has been very well received. Customers are told up front the watches are NOT for sale... but they can look at them and see what they look like on the wrist.
Which is fine, though as scratches happen, if tried on many times, etc, ... you know where that discussion is going. I'd prefer they just keep the display model until that model is phased out. Then send it to RSC for refurb and thus 'new' again to sell as the last one.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 05:59 AM   #22
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

This is all so laughable. Sounds like they can’t keep up with demand, lol. No duh
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 06:01 AM   #23
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Also, thought the dealers run the cards and that triggers Rolex to send another. So will they run the card on this overly fondled not for sale piece.me then what, the guy lucky enough to buy the beat up, no longer new one, gets 4.5 year warranty.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 06:04 AM   #24
Ensign
"TRF" Member

That’s just going to upset folks; can you see all the customers begging to buy the display model?
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 06:06 AM   #25
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Also, thought the dealers run the cards and that triggers Rolex to send another. So will they run the card on this overly fondled not for sale piece.me then what, the guy lucky enough to buy the beat up, no longer new one, gets 4.5 year warranty.
Or they’ll sell the new ones, then sell these as used, at whatever the going rate is.
Old 30 July 2021, 06:13 AM   #26
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC116710LN View Post
Rolex should just supply exhibition models
How is that not already the policy? Fill the cases with exhibition watches. Is that so hard?
Old 30 July 2021, 06:17 AM   #27
kinggiamma
"TRF" Member

I think is a clever move. Till now the only option to try a sport model was to go to a reseller. I think Rolex would like their customers see their products in their stores and not at grey sellers’ ones.
kinggiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 06:20 AM   #28
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
That’s just going to upset folks; can you see all the customers begging to buy the display model?
That's what I'm saying. Customers lined up to see the display model and bother to be on the list and ADs keep repeating themselves (Purchase history, buy this buy that and such).
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 07:04 AM   #29
ks58
Banned

Interesting. I wouldn’t be embarrassed. They are in high demand. People can see them online.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 07:14 AM   #30
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Personally I would hope that they'd just stick to exhibition pieces with no internals or something short of a "real watch". A) that prevents any chance of "just sell it to me for $$$$$$$" confrontations with whales and B) when we do someday get the call for our own watch it won't have been tried on previously by 10,000 boobs that just came in to take a quick wrist pic for the 'gram.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote