The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 September 2019, 09:46 AM   #1
mjkingz
"TRF" Member

Identifying any issues with a 5500 and its bracelet

Hey all,

Still on the hunt for something that's right. I've got completely lost in trying to figure out if anything is not correct with this air king. I also got really lost in all the detail out there about replica bracelets and now I'm just confused. I felt confident, now I'm not, etc. Would very much appreciate anyone thoughts on this piece.

Thanks in advance., Regards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2208.jpg (129.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2216.jpg (276.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2221.jpg (204.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2233.jpg (226.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2215.jpg (186.2 KB, 123 views)
mjkingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 10:46 AM   #2
TudorTom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Most counterfeit/replica oyster bracelets are made to look like the newer "solid link" version (78350) -- not the old riveted style like this one. The one pictured looks fine to me.

The riveted bracelets are one of my favorite styles from an aesthetic perspective, but there's a few good reasons some people don't like them:

1) They have a different wrist feel, as the links are mostly hollow inside
2) They are horribly difficult to adjust for all but the most experienced watchmaker (in order to take out a link, the rivets must be removed, the link itself disassembled, then the bracelet must be put back together using new rivets)
3) They're fragile by comparison to the 7835 & 78350

If you haven't handled one of these bracelets in person before, I'd encourage you to try and do so before making a purchase.
TudorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 05:53 AM   #3
Paul
"TRF" Member

Yip. What Tom said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudorTom View Post
Most counterfeit/replica oyster bracelets are made to look like the newer "solid link" version (78350) -- not the old riveted style like this one. The one pictured looks fine to me.

The riveted bracelets are one of my favorite styles from an aesthetic perspective, but there's a few good reasons some people don't like them:

1) They have a different wrist feel, as the links are mostly hollow inside
2) They are horribly difficult to adjust for all but the most experienced watchmaker (in order to take out a link, the rivets must be removed, the link itself disassembled, then the bracelet must be put back together using new rivets)
3) They're fragile by comparison to the 7835 & 78350

If you haven't handled one of these bracelets in person before, I'd encourage you to try and do so before making a purchase.
Looks to me to be an OK, correct 5500 Explorer. A nice crisp dial and the pencil / stick hands (whatever they are called) that I'd expect. Bracelet looks correct and yip, that era of rivet bracelets are kinda flimsy and expensive to service.

Ironically, although I guided you away from a 6564 OP in recent days ... and suggested an AirKing or a DateJust, Im not loving this particular AirKing. While the dial and hands are nice and the 5500 case and 1002 case-back and dated 7205/ 57 bracelet are all a happy match, the over-polished 5:00 o'clock lug would bug me. So would the fact that all four lugs are kinda uneven.

The pics suggest that the bracelet might be healthy enough but I see the end-links are a horrible fit where they match up to the case. Easy enough to improve with some adjusting but I might guess that the spring bars are not the correct guage. The 1520 movement looks clean and the case / case-back mounting faces look to be healthy and free from corrosion (as required for effective water-proofing).

The striped box has some value if that's included in the AirKing sale, it's not correct for a 5500 though
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 06:26 AM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Looks to me to be an OK, correct 5500 Explorer. A nice crisp dial and the pencil / stick hands (whatever they are called) that I'd expect. Bracelet looks correct and yip, that era of rivet bracelets are kinda flimsy and expensive to service.

Ironically, although I guided you away from a 6564 OP in recent days ... and suggested an AirKing or a DateJust, Im not loving this particular AirKing. While the dial and hands are nice and the 5500 case and 1002 case-back and dated 7205/ 57 bracelet are all a happy match, the over-polished 5:00 o'clock lug would bug me. So would the fact that all four lugs are kinda uneven.

The pics suggest that the bracelet might be healthy enough but I see the end-links are a horrible fit where they match up to the case. Easy enough to improve with some adjusting but I might guess that the spring bars are not the correct guage. The 1520 movement looks clean and the case / case-back mounting faces look to be healthy and free from corrosion (as required for effective water-proofing).

The striped box has some value if that's included in the AirKing sale, it's not correct for a 5500 though
If it can be had for a good price, that lug can be rebuilt
Old 6 September 2019, 08:15 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
This watch is an example of what we refer to as "over polished" and Rolex would likely call for a re-case.

Hard to say about the bracelet, but the end links are so ill fitting, it either has a worn out tubes or the wrong spring bars, or both.