The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2022, 11:43 PM   #1
TheWaterman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Railmaster
Icon20 On the list in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam?

I don’t own a Rolex, and only recently got into watches about 11 months ago. With that said, I started off with a Citizen eco-drive (solar-powered), then an Orient, then a Tissot, then a Rado, all automatics. Then, two months ago, I bought an Omega Railmaster 40mm (not the one that comes in a set), and know from a ton of research I’ve done that that watch is one of the greatest modern Watches of all time. Even after I get a Rolex, I’ll always keep Elim (short for the Eliminator because it ”eliminated” the possibility of me wearing any of my other watches) close to me. With that said, I want a Rolex. Badly. I put my name on the list at one of only two official Rolex dealers in Vietnam. One is in Ho Chi Minh, and the other is in Hanoi. I put my name down in H.C.M.C, but apparently both stores are owned by the same person/business/family. Anyone have any experience with the ADs out in this part of the world? They told me of course, that I have to wait. I told them I would buy practically anything, but more specifically,
1st Choice
SUBMARINER DATE
Oyster, 41 mm, Oystersteel
2nd Choice
SUBMARINER
Oyster, 41 mm, Oystersteel
3rd Choice
EXPLORER
Oyster, 36 mm, Oystersteel

Thanks.

P.S. I really want the 36mm Explorer.
TheWaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 03:44 AM   #2
Miker86
"TRF" Member

Telling them you would buy anything likely didn’t help. Sounds like you want whatever just to flip.
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 03:51 AM   #3
dmash
"TRF" Member

SE Asia.....

You don't know anybody?

You don't have millions in the bank?

Buy grey, at least for the foreseeable future.

and I say this as somebody who is a massive proponent of always waiting at AD for allocations. This is just the reality.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 03:53 AM   #4
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Welcome to The Forum Jonathan!! Good luck scoring your first Rolex!!
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 03:37 PM   #5
TheWaterman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker86 View Post
Telling them you would buy anything likely didn’t help. Sounds like you want whatever just to flip.
No! I want a Rolex or two to wear as dailies, bang them up and then give one each to my two daughters who are now one and three, when they get older. But if someone buys a Rolex and sells it, it seems that people hate those who buy to sell, but accept those who wear it for a while, get bored with it, and then “flip it.” I’m in neither category as of now, but what’s the difference? They are both doing the same thing.
Old 24 October 2022, 03:39 PM   #6
TheWaterman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
SE Asia.....

You don't know anybody?

You don't have millions in the bank?

Buy grey, at least for the foreseeable future.

and I say this as somebody who is a massive proponent of always waiting at AD for allocations. This is just the reality.
I’m thinking about it. Actually would have bitten the bullet a while ago. Only problem is here in Vietnam, we have to pay upwards of 30% on luxury tax. It’s insane.
Old 24 October 2022, 03:39 PM   #7
TheWaterman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Aussies View Post
Welcome to The Forum Jonathan!! Good luck scoring your first Rolex!!
Thanks.
Old 24 October 2022, 04:06 PM   #8
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
scoot your way into thailand or singapore, then buy grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaterman View Post
I’m thinking about it. Actually would have bitten the bullet a while ago. Only problem is here in Vietnam, we have to pay upwards of 30% on luxury tax. It’s insane.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 04:13 PM   #9
JayBlack
"TRF" Member

I'd just wait a little, like i mentioned in my thread that started prices are coming down. You can buy sea dwellers on the grey for catalog price or a few hundreds more here in Europe.
From what I gather Subs in Europe date and no date are between 6 months to a year wait times.
But now backlogs are being worked away world wide.
The problem with Grey was they bought a lot a shipped to Russia and China as they were booming. Now Russia is blocked financially and China is on lockdown due to covid and has travel restrictions. So the Grey's are not able to sell their stock so they are not buying more. Hence prices on the grey market are dropping.

For the 30% tax take a vacation in Europe and buy Grey. Or wait a little and get it there, the waiting times shouldn't be that bad for Subs if it's anything like Europe.

Best of Luck
JayBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 05:08 PM   #10
msu_1972
Banned

Watch: Panda, BLNR
Hey there, I’ll be visiting my family in HCMC next month and planning to give the AD a visit. I’ll let you know how it goes. ��
msu_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 05:26 PM   #11
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

If you really want the explorer then why is it choice #3 ?
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 05:52 PM   #12
Miker86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaterman View Post
No! I want a Rolex or two to wear as dailies, bang them up and then give one each to my two daughters who are now one and three, when they get older. But if someone buys a Rolex and sells it, it seems that people hate those who buy to sell, but accept those who wear it for a while, get bored with it, and then “flip it.” I’m in neither category as of now, but what’s the difference? They are both doing the same thing.
Just to mention it’s not my opinion that you want to flip, just the impression that may go across to an AD if you ask for anything.

I think the difference with people buying, becoming bored and moving on a watch to those who just want it to sell is the former presumably at least had an interest in the watch in the first place - rather than it being just another commodity to buy and then sell immediately.
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 10:02 PM   #13
TheWaterman
"TRF" Member

Point considered and taken.
Old 24 October 2022, 10:11 PM   #14
TheWaterman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
If you really want the explorer then why is it choice #3 ?
I figured if I’m going to be on a waiting list for “however” long, I might as well go all out and get the most well-known watch in the history of timepieces. And that would be the submariner. Plus, I’ve heard stories of their toughness and I love a good crown guard. But Adrian over at “Bark & Jack” sold me on the romantic aspect of the 36 mm Explorer. Besides, I live in Saigon. Can’t be too conspicuous out here. Some thieves chop hands off when people are on their motorbikes waiting for the light to turn green, just to take their jewelry. Few and far between, but I’ve heard this. This is egregious and unlikely. But I heard a single story: extrapolate that with what I’ve seen from camera footage outside my own home, (thieves snatching an iPhone from someone while on motorbike, and then using pepper spray to keep him from chasing them), so things happen. That said, I’m getting and wearing a Rolex to wear everyday while I live in Saigon.
Old 24 October 2022, 10:22 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum Jonathan, good luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 11:13 PM   #16
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Delete