The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2023, 02:37 AM   #1
CMAGS84
"TRF" Member

Tudor MT54xx Reliability

Is the MT5400/5402 movement considered a reliable movement?

I’m interested in the BB54, but after dealing with the waning amplitude issue that’s affecting some 32xx movements, I’m looking for a reliable daily driver that won’t need servicing every two years. I love my DJ 36 but this issue that doesn’t seem to have a permanent fix yet is kind of ruining the experience…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CMAGS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:02 AM   #2
Law52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmmm
I’ve not heard any chatter about problems. I have three Tudors with the MT movements and they all are within spec’s on the Timegrapher. Two are 2021’s and one is a 2022 and Just checked them last week.
Law52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:04 AM   #3
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
BB58 has been incredibly accurate for me.

Old 13 April 2023, 04:42 AM   #4
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I'm probably in the minority, but I wish Tudor (and a lot of other watchmakers) just stuck to ETA/Sellita movements. Spend the extra production dollars on case/bracelet (albeit Tudors are really good there for the price point too).

I have the 39mm Ranger, and that's a watch with very few "fail" points. No rotating bezel, no date, printed indicies. I'm sure the movement will be fine, but with an ETA or Sellita, any watchmaker in the world can service for the rest of my life and/or just drop in a new movement. The watch would be indestructible.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 04:49 AM   #5
swexlin
"TRF" Member

I own 3 Tudors, and here's how they're currently running:

2021 BB Chrono: purchased July 2021: +2 currently, when new +4. Had to go in for service 3 months into ownership because pushers stopped working. When returned (Dec 2021) was running +1.

2022 BB GMT: purchased Feb 22, was +2, until recently, when it went -8. No idea why, not bumped, knocked, nothing, not wearing differently.

2022 BB925: ditto the GMT.

Both the 925 and GMT really don't know what caused the slowdown. No change to wearing habits, and no damage.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:59 AM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I wish Tudor (and a lot of other watchmakers) just stuck to ETA/Sellita movements. Spend the extra production dollars on case/bracelet (albeit Tudors are really good there for the price point too).

I have the 39mm Ranger, and that's a watch with very few "fail" points. No rotating bezel, no date, printed indicies. I'm sure the movement will be fine, but with an ETA or Sellita, any watchmaker in the world can service for the rest of my life and/or just drop in a new movement. The watch would be indestructible.
I agree about the ETA. I bought the 41mm Ranger in 2014 and it's still keeping chronometer time.