The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2023, 09:32 AM   #1
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Changing Dial Color - Will Rolex Service?

I went to a local used watch dealer this afternoon and was looking for a specific DateJust - with a blue dial. He had one with a white dial but had a large inventory of new, Rolex brand dials. He said he would swap the dial out for the one I was looking for. My question is is there a way for Rolex to tell if a dial has been swapped? I've heard they frown on watches being changed to the point where they will not service a watch that is different than when it left the factory. How do they know? Is it true they will not service a watch that has had the dial changed?
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 09:42 AM   #2
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
They won’t service it it’s not all correct. Are you sure those dials are even genuine? Lots of very good looking aftermarket dials out there now.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 09:44 AM   #3
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Yes, Rolex knows the dial that serial number was born with. If you plan on servicing through RSC, I recommend you buy a born blue dial watch. If you plan to service outside of Rolex and keep the watch, it doesn’t matter.

Other thing is that some watchmakers can swap dials w/o causing problems while others disturb the hands, movement, etc. I’d rather just buy the watch born as I want it.

RSC will do a dial swap also for the price of the new dial and a service provided the watch is past it’s original warranty period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 10:20 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
. . . My question is is there a way for Rolex to tell if a dial has been swapped? I've heard they frown on watches being changed to the point where they will not service a watch that is different than when it left the factory. How do they know? Is it true they will not service a watch that has had the dial changed?
Yes, Rolex does know what the original build was for most of the watches produced.

The Datejust has the most dial availability of almost any other watch and dials are changed frequently.

It is not true that Rolex will not service a DJ with a dial change, as long as the dial is authentic and was available for that reference. Millions of them have changed dials.

A dial change not done by Rolex will void the warranty if a watch is still under warranty.
Old 13 July 2023, 11:43 AM   #5
502 to Right
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It is not true that Rolex will not service a DJ with a dial change, as long as the dial is authentic and was available for that reference. Millions of them have changed dials.
This^^^^^^

I was able to switch my 16234 Datejust dial from silver to blue by Rolex because blue was offered for the 16234. It does not matter what dial your watch had coming out of the factory. They did, however, take the silver dial as this was done part in, part out.
502 to Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 10:31 PM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Yes, Rolex does know what the original build was for most of the watches produced.

The Datejust has the most dial availability of almost any other watch and dials are changed frequently.

A dial change not done by Rolex will void the warranty if a watch is still under warranty.
Correct, authentic and available on the reference when it was made are the requirements.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 11:31 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

This ^^^
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote