The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11 October 2009, 04:10 AM   #1
mlehman

DRSD Values

Hi Guys

I have a buddy that has a DRSD and wants to sell, I have not seen it yet..he is in over his head, losing his house and needs cash. I`m just looking to buy it and flip.

I was wondering what market value for one with box and papers, figure rough condition at best.

I think he will sell at $7-10k, any thought? I feel a little bad for him but...he made his choices

Mike
Old 11 October 2009, 04:18 AM   #2
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
It is worth at least 10K from what I have heard recently (that was a rough one no box or papers)

Get some pics and #s so the ones in the know can give you an accurate value.

He is your buddy, you do not want to steal the watch... You want to give him or make sure he gets fair market value.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
Old 11 October 2009, 04:43 AM   #3
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

10K is a steal.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...highlight=drsd

Recently, Tempoking sold one for $26k,.
Old 11 October 2009, 04:53 AM   #4
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
A watch is worth what the next guy is willing to pay for it. On a rare watch you either know what you have and want for it or you auction it off to the highest bidder.On that particular watch unless you know what you have exactly the spread is so big its meaningless to discuss.Figure from 2k-40k.
My 2k example is 1 I recently saw that didnt sell for even 2k.It had a way overpolished case serial numbers not visable,aftermarket bezel and insert,redone dial, striped caseback, movement was shot from previous water damage, bracelet was fake. But it was a drsd.Since you are looking to buy and flip do your homework good.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
Old 11 October 2009, 05:34 AM   #5
mlehman

thanks guys for the replies. I have not seen it yet, I`ll check it out and go from there. He is a little grey about the details of the watch so that is a concern, I have a Rolex employee near me that I can take it to for evaluation

He`s not that good of a friend, if he could get one over on me he would , he is used car dealer that lost his business and works for a friend now, that`s how I met him

Mike
Old 11 October 2009, 07:31 AM   #6
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
If he is a used car salesman then he knows how to value things. The first thing people find out when they value a Double Red is that its a "grail" watch. Its like hitting the lotto. Bingo, jackpot, holycow, are a few words that comes to mind. If he wants to turn the watch for some money, he doesn't have to sell it at such a low price. 7K-10K is just suspicious. If I posted my DRSD for 7K-10K I think it would sell within the hour. IMO I would have people beating down my door to buy it. I would have to have some type of mental problem to price it that low. If he indeed needs money, then he would be pricing it more appropriately, but slightly low. It would have to be in very poor shape at 7K. Another thing about the DRSD, you can't find them easily. Since I found out about these watches, I have been surfing for them online. They are rare. Only a few on TRF have them. Trying to find one online for sale is like looking for a Leprecon. And when you finally find one, just like the Leprecon....your not sure if its real. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is a scam. Be careful so you don't get burned.
Old 11 October 2009, 07:54 AM   #7
mlehman

LOL..got ya!!!
Old 14 October 2009, 07:06 AM   #8
mlehman

Well I offered him $20,000 and he would not sell it...maybe just as well

thanks
Mike
Old 14 October 2009, 01:39 PM   #9
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehman View Post
Well I offered him $20,000 and he would not sell it...maybe just as well

thanks
Mike
Is there any way you post some pics......
Old 14 October 2009, 05:46 PM   #10
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehman View Post
Hi Guys

I have a buddy that has a DRSD and wants to sell, I have not seen it yet..he is in over his head, losing his house and needs cash. I`m just looking to buy it and flip.

I was wondering what market value for one with box and papers, figure rough condition at best.

I think he will sell at $7-10k, any thought? I feel a little bad for him but...he made his choices

Mike
What happened to him selling at 7-10K ????
Old 15 October 2009, 06:49 AM   #11
mlehman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
What happened to him selling at 7-10K ????
well I started at 10k and worked up to 20k..after that I figured he could keep it. last week he was talking like he`d sell it for 10k..

who know, his co-worker does not think it is genuine
Old 15 October 2009, 07:49 PM   #12
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
there are many variables to consider with vintage watches..if you dont know evrything you are looking at it is very easy to loose your shirt..there are subtle dial and case differences that make the difference between a watch being worth 5k and 25k
just go slow and easy..some of these guys find out they have a desireable vintage watch and think they will retire with it..the vintage world is a fickle bitch..prices fluctuate often,its a classic supply and demand scenario..
if you have what a deep pocket collector just happens to want,then your sitting pretty.
if you have something that is not hot,then you could have the lowest price on the web but still wont sell it because they just arent being sought after..
Old 16 October 2009, 09:35 PM   #13
DadsWatch72
Banned

I called Robert Maron a month ago about a Double Red that he was selling. He was still holding firm at 45K. He did say that he had one without papers and he would take less for it. Seems like he said 25K for the one without papers.
Old 16 October 2009, 11:20 PM   #14
DadsWatch72
Banned

I just checked Rober Maron's website. The DRSD is gone. Sold I imagine.
Old 17 October 2009, 03:56 AM   #15
DadsWatch72
Banned

Here is one for sale at Premium Watch. I cropped the dial to compare to mine. What do you think? Mine is on the left. One for sale is on the right. They look close. They claim theirs is a 72' like mine (my serial is 3.551XX). Could there be this much difference in a same year model?

http://www.premiumwatch.fr/seadwelle...ml?language=en
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dial close up.jpg (32.6 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg R1665DR3p.jpg (27.8 KB, 223 views)
Old 17 October 2009, 05:53 AM   #16
DadsWatch72
Banned

Now look at a close up from the double red website. Notice the 2 in the White text 2000. Notice the 6 in 610 m. They look fishy. Now compare all three. I realize we aren't suppose to be talking about fakes but these watches can really burn someone. Just trying to help. This watch for sale (web page above) claims to have papers too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mark3closeup.jpg (47.4 KB, 211 views)
Old 18 October 2009, 09:15 AM   #17
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now look at a close up from the double red website. Notice the 2 in the White text 2000. Notice the 6 in 610 m. They look fishy. Now compare all three. I realize we aren't suppose to be talking about fakes but these watches can really burn someone. Just trying to help. This watch for sale (web page above) claims to have papers too.
In a few short months you have become an expert on the DRSD and even point out to nice examples as fakes. The watch and the MK3 dial look good to me 19,000 Euros they must be coming down in price

Old 19 October 2009, 01:44 AM   #18
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
In a few short months you have become an expert on the DRSD and even point out to nice examples as fakes. The watch and the MK3 dial look good to me 19,000 Euros they must be coming down in price
Then you buy it. I see the differences clearly. Those letters lack fine details that 2 other examples do have. They are also different in shape. I don't claim to be a Rolex expert but I DO have eyes. I AM an expert looking at microscopic objects with fine detail. I can visually compare these dials without a degree in Rolexology. I would be very sure before I bought a watch priced at 29K dollars. It is either real or not real. I don't know of too many people that have these watches to make an informed comparison with so I posted mine to compare. . I was looking for others opinions on a visual comparison. Some sources claim up to 70% of these models are fake.
Old 19 October 2009, 01:51 AM   #19
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Then you buy it. I see the differences clearly. Those letters lack fine details that 2 other examples do have. They are also different in shape. I don't claim to be an expert but I DO have eyes. I can visually compare. I would be very sure before I bought a watch priced at 29K dollars.
Maybe when they were printing the dials, too much ink was placed on the template and....
Old 19 October 2009, 02:06 AM   #20
mlehman

Quote:
that`s a little harsh there dude..at least he is trying and asking questions
Old 19 October 2009, 06:49 AM   #21
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Then you buy it. I see the differences clearly. Those letters lack fine details that 2 other examples do have. They are also different in shape. I don't claim to be a Rolex expert but I DO have eyes. I AM an expert looking at microscopic objects with fine detail. I can visually compare these dials without a degree in Rolexology. I would be very sure before I bought a watch priced at 29K dollars. It is either real or not real. I don't know of too many people that have these watches to make an informed comparison with so I posted mine to compare. . I was looking for others opinions on a visual comparison. Some sources claim up to 70% of these models are fake.
I am not in the market for a DRSD to buy it. Are you looking to buy another 1? BTW the dial in your watch is extremely nice.1 of the nicest I might ad but claiming someone is dealing in a fake is not right if you cant back up your claim.It should be a rule that when someone claims something is wrong with a watch for sale to tell us why it is wrong and back up his theory with evidence.This way everyone who reads this learns something.When calling that watch a fake did you also check out his website? Does he deal in fakes?I do not know the seller but he seems to have some nice watches.I know many people that have DRSD's a few have numerous examples.They are out there more than you can imagine.There is also allot of fakes. IMHO the watch you say has a fake dial is very real.

Old 19 October 2009, 06:54 AM   #22
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
I was looking for others opinions on a visual comparison.
If this is the same watch as you have already posted on the watch out forum then several very experienced members there (and Nikos here)have already indicated that this watch is OK.........
Old 20 October 2009, 01:55 AM   #23
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
I am not in the market for a DRSD to buy it. Are you looking to buy another 1? BTW the dial in your watch is extremely nice.1 of the nicest I might ad but claiming someone is dealing in a fake is not right if you cant back up your claim.It should be a rule that when someone claims something is wrong with a watch for sale to tell us why it is wrong and back up his theory with evidence.This way everyone who reads this learns something.When calling that watch a fake did you also check out his website? Does he deal in fakes?I do not know the seller but he seems to have some nice watches.I know many people that have DRSD's a few have numerous examples.They are out there more than you can imagine.There is also allot of fakes. IMHO the watch you say has a fake dial is very real.
No, I am not in the market to buy another DRSD. As posted before, I posted mine for a comparison. I am not claiming that dial is a fake, but I do question it's validity. I posted it for others opinions and I have given mine about it along with others. It might be fake but I don't claim to be the deciding factor in the final decision. All I know is Rolex dials are very consistent in their printing process from what I have learned so far and this dial IS different than both mine and one of the only other examples that can be verified as genuine (on DoubleRedSeaDweller.com). And yes, I did check out his website, thats where I found the watch and the picture. I have read the posts from others that think its genuine and it does lead me to believe I may be wrong. Even though they think it might be genuine I am still not convinced and wouldn't buy the watch (if I was in the market) solely on their opinions. I NEVER said its a fake.....I said it looks fishy to me AND that the letters are different than the ones on my dial. I also asked TRF if there should be this much difference in the printing process from watch-watch. Again, I was looking for others opinions on TRF.

A smart man knows how much he doesn't know. My father taught me that from a young age.

You however claim that you know I present myself as an expert in these watches- quote "In a few short months you have become an expert on the DRSD". This is not correct but I am trying to learn and asking questions.

You also claim that I know and claim this watch a fake with my new found expert knowledge- quote "and even point out to nice examples as fakes". I never said that the watch is absolutely a fake. I was merely giving my opinion and posted why I felt this way to show others my thought process, and ask for thier opinions.

Here is another one of your quotes "It should be a rule that when someone claims something is wrong with a watch for sale to tell us why it is wrong and back up his theory with evidence". UMMMM, I thought I was doing that by posting the pictures and pointing out the differences in the letters shape/size.

Another quote "I know many people that have DRSD's a few have numerous examples". Where are their pictures? I have done many searches for these online and here in TRF. I don't see many examples of the Mark III dial shown in this thread. I don't see any close up shots other than mine on TRF. There are more examples of the later dials...mark IV and on but not the mark III (especially a close up) and below since they had such a short production time.

Another quote "I am not in the market for a DRSD to buy it. Are you looking to buy another 1?" I think this is your way of making a sarcastic comment and imply......"If your not in the market to buy one of these models then you shouldn't be making posts for any other reason." This is what I felt you were saying based on previous comments and the "feel" of your posts (IMO).

I don't think its your place to impose and enforce forum rules. I don't think anyone appointed you to patrol the forum for anyone who appears to be a self proclaimed expert so you can "burst their bubble" and put them in their "proper place". If you search ALL of my previous posts, you will find that I have never criticized another forum member as you have me in the thread. I don't think I have ever criticized anyone period. I would bet that if someone would search through your past posts, a pattern would appear of you doing the same thing to others.

I usually don't feel it necessary to confront others about their behavior/comments that I don't agree with, but in this case I thought you might like for someone to pick apart your comments and highlight them for you so you know how it feels.

To end this on a good note, thanks for the compliment on my dial.
Old 20 October 2009, 02:31 AM   #24
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
I'm sure the good note will be well recieved after telling Nikos to kiss your ass.

Chill dude, I think you are taking this too hard. I read the whole thread too BTW...

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Old 20 October 2009, 02:42 AM   #25
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
I'm sure the good note will be well recieved after telling Nikos to kiss your ass.

Chill dude, I think you are taking this too hard. I read the whole thread too BTW...
I did read very carefuly. There is an old saying, "Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining". What are you refering to exactly? Is it this quote? "Does he deal in fakes?" I don't think he would knowingly deal in a fake, no. It looks like he has some very fine watches on his website. And BTW, I never called anyone anything.
Old 20 October 2009, 02:55 AM   #26
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
It's my understanding that Rolex is well known for dial font variations. One of the things that keeps vintage guys on their toes I suppose.
Old 20 October 2009, 03:31 AM   #27
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am not claiming that dial is a fake, but I do question it's validity.
...I NEVER said its a fake.....I said it looks fishy to me AND that the letters are different than the ones on my dial.
You also claim that I know and claim this watch a fake with my new found expert knowledge- quote "and even point out to nice examples as fakes". I never said that the watch is absolutely a fake.

I thought you might like for someone to pick apart your comments and highlight them for you .
Dadswatch72 Like you said above I thought you might like for someone to pick apart your comments and highlight them.
Did you not claim it as a fake here? Fake Double Red ?? I found this online and I think its fake.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=98195

Thanks again for telling us a few times you never said it was a fake. Now we can both agree
The reason I offered an opinion on the dial was because you called it a FAKE and linked to a vintage sellers website.You now claim you never called it a fake.The links and your posts are above.

At the end of the day we are all here for our love of watches and learn something everyday.If we have something of value we share it.If you would like to see pictures of the mk3 dial and a nice collection of them I might share them with you
You must be a sensitive fellow if you think I "burst your bubble" and put you in your "proper place" as you said.The facts are above for all to see. PM if you want some pics

Old 20 October 2009, 03:38 AM   #28
DadsWatch72
Banned

Do you know what a question mark represents???? YESSS, a question and not a statement.

Fake Double Red ?? I found this online and I think its fake. Hell, I put 2, count them, 2 question marks and that still wasn't getting through.

Here is another question for ya. Do you know what the word think means??? It means its my opinion and not a fact.

One word can change the entire meaning of a sentence. Here is an example.

Your an idiot.......or........I think your an idiot.

One states it as a fact.......one gives my opinion only.
Old 20 October 2009, 03:50 AM   #29
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the nice comment on your opinion of me. I have been called much worse if I was as sensitive as you I would still be crying and pouting over them.This is the Vintage Rolex thread please contribute something about vintage Rolex or put a pacifier in it.I see no need to ramble on further.

Old 20 October 2009, 03:57 AM   #30
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the nice comment on your opinion of me. I have been called much worse if I was as sensitive as you I would still be crying and pouting over them.This is the Vintage Rolex thread please contribute something about vintage Rolex or put a pacifier in it.I see no need to ramble on further.

"please contribute something about vintage Rolex or put a pacifier in it"

There you go again giving instructions as a "self appointed" forum moderator. Don't worry geekbum, the statue of being the forums "king of Rolex" is still yours. I wouldn't challenge anyone so knowledgeable as you. If I ever have any question about Rolex I will redirect them to you since you know everything there is to know and get very touchy of anyone giving their opinion without expressed permission from you.
Attached Images
File Type: png bk_crowncardTheKing_en_01.png (166.3 KB, 91 views)
Closed Thread