The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2024, 01:43 AM   #1
WhiteRhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
SD43 Availability at AD

Looking for opinions if I should get my hopes up of getting the SD43 at the AD. I went gray market last time about 5 years ago, but I understand now things "may be" a bit better. Unfortunately I dont live near an AD so I cant just pop in and inquire as easily as I would hope. Just trying to gauge how in demand the SD43 would be at the AD before I make the two hour drive to visit one.
WhiteRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 01:53 AM   #2
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I don’t know, but logically it’s closer to a niche piece than a Submariner because not everyone can comfortably sport it. It should be one of the easier to acquire sport watches.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 01:56 AM   #3
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
If you need it from the retailer, then go put your name down.

This watch at market price is back to 2018 premiums - a slight discount. Good for true fans anyway.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 01:56 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Not sure about AD’s but they are selling for at or less than MRSP now
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 02:03 AM   #5
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
I would think it’s much better now than a few years ago with a little patience. Good thing is if you’re short on patience DavidSW has a couple of these barely over retail plus tax so you can get it without paying much or any premium for it if the AD route becomes a hassle or takes too long.

Let us know how it turns out!
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 02:03 AM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Not sure about AD’s but they are selling for at or less than MRSP now
Good example right now for sale. I've purchased from this seller before and highly recommend.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=931675
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 02:07 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Good example right now for sale. I've purchased from this seller before and highly recommend.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=931675
Great find and good to know on the seller

I see he also has a 5164, unfortunately out of what I’d consider spending on one watch, but a decent price.
Old 10 January 2024, 02:12 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
Looking for opinions if I should get my hopes up of getting the SD43 at the AD. I went gray market last time about 5 years ago, but I understand now things "may be" a bit better. Unfortunately I dont live near an AD so I cant just pop in and inquire as easily as I would hope. Just trying to gauge how in demand the SD43 would be at the AD before I make the two hour drive to visit one.
Well according to many on forum no Rolex watches are available from ADs unless you have a relationship and spent zillions on others things like jewellery and watches you did not really want.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 02:15 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
Well according to many on forum no Rolex watches are available from ADs unless you have a relationship and spent zillions on others things like jewellery and watches did did not really want.But it's down to yourself just try all the ADs in your location if you don't ask you will not know.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 02:16 AM   #10
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Call them first, they may have in stock. If not, I’d save myself the hassle and go trusted seller. I’ve seen BNIB priced pretty close to retail.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 02:19 AM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great find and good to know on the seller

I see he also has a 5164, unfortunately out of what I’d consider spending on one watch, but a decent price.
Come on Brian, it's only money!

YOLO
Old 10 January 2024, 02:26 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Come on Brian, it's only money!

YOLO

Now Mike my friend … how are you coming along with your decision?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=925051
Old 10 January 2024, 02:28 AM   #13
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Now Mike my friend … how are you coming along with your decision?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=925051
Still searching for a pre-owned model on bracelet. They are tough to find. The strap version is much more common. I think I want to hold out for the bracelet version and add the strap.
Old 10 January 2024, 02:30 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Still searching for a pre-owned model on bracelet. They are tough to find. The strap version is much more common. I think I want to hold out for the bracelet version and add the strap.
I think that’s wise. If you’re going gold, you have to have the bracelet.

Apologies OP, for the thread highjack … Mike and I got carried away
Old 10 January 2024, 08:26 AM   #15
trout_thumper21
"TRF" Member

I went gray and purchased a 2021 almost unworn, and unpolished, for about $1,500 less than MSRP + sales tax in my state. No brainer for me…YMMV
trout_thumper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 08:32 AM   #16
Wrathchild
Banned

I personally feel ADs will get more stock this year. We are already seeing the beginning of this. I wouldn’t be running to grey anytime soon unless you find one under list like the bloke above did.
Wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 08:40 AM   #17
TomInNJ
"TRF" Member

I got one from a NYC AD last year with wait of just under 4 months— which was a pleasant surprise. I should add that it has become my favorite watch in my rotation.
TomInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 02:21 PM   #18
ads75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sinn 900 Flieger
Back in May 2023 my AD in South East Pennsylvania told me it would be about a 6 month wait for a 43mm SD. I haven't heard anything form them since then, so over 6 months, maybe others buying Christmas gifts got higher priority than I would. But I also haven't checked in with them either. I do have a prior purchase history with the AD, but its old. I know it isn't a popular opinion here, but if they were to call me now I doubt I would purchase it, there are other things I have recently purchased (Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe Titanium) and several other watches I would rather have at that relative price point (GO Sea Q Panoramic Date, JLC Reverso). But if your heart is set on a SD43, nothing else will substitute.
ads75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 03:10 PM   #19
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads75 View Post
Back in May 2023 my AD in South East Pennsylvania told me it would be about a 6 month wait for a 43mm SD. I haven't heard anything form them since then, so over 6 months, maybe others buying Christmas gifts got higher priority than I would. But I also haven't checked in with them either. I do have a prior purchase history with the AD, but its old. I know it isn't a popular opinion here, but if they were to call me now I doubt I would purchase it, there are other things I have recently purchased (Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe Titanium) and several other watches I would rather have at that relative price point (GO Sea Q Panoramic Date, JLC Reverso). But if your heart is set on a SD43, nothing else will substitute.

Definitely call first and try to make an appointment if your AD is accommodating, especially since it’s such a far drive.
You’ll likely not walk out of there with one, but by showing your face and requesting in person, you’ll be in a better position to eventually “get the call.”

I went gray with DavidSW and never looked back.
Good
Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 04:03 PM   #20
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The SD43 is not popular compared to smaller sports steel models. So that's in your favour. I would pay them a visit and gauge their interest in selling you one. If non-existent, then buy from a trusted seller, you could even save a few bucks.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 04:42 PM   #21
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

SD43 Availability at AD

This is far more obtainable now. Also it is trading BNIB under retail. LNIB well under.

If you have a trusted grey dealer, go there

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 06:27 PM   #22
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Go to the AD and get it even if it's a little over grey prices. I would wait a couple of months if not available too. It's a model to establish relationship now. Call and explain your situation they will be very happy in these market situations. Only go grey for hard to get models or significantly under retail.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 09:35 PM   #23
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
Go to the AD and get it even if it's a little over grey prices. I would wait a couple of months if not available too. It's a model to establish relationship now. Call and explain your situation they will be very happy in these market situations. Only go grey for hard to get models or significantly under retail.
Agreed. I got a TT SD43 at the height of the mania in a month from my AD after telling them I wanted it. Subs and SDs are quite gettable now with modest waits. Give your AD a go and get on their books as a customer in case you want anything else.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 10:19 PM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Look at the online stores for our Trusted Sellers and you will see both new and pre-owned at very fair prices. Find the one you want and get on the phone and have a respectful conversation and ask for an even better price. Pay and have the watch by lunch tomorrow. Why waste your time with an AD and all the games. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 11:01 PM   #25
stevestil
"TRF" Member

This should be an easier to obtain reference from any AD at the moment. If you intend on building a relationship with your AD then it’s a good starting point and your AD should come through for you. If you want a one and done, go grey and save some money

stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 12:05 AM   #26
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Worth a few phone calls. If it doesn't look hopeful just go with a reputable seller and pick one up at or below retail as suggested.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 01:22 AM   #27
Emdi
"TRF" Member

The secondary price for an 12660 is not so far from the listprice. So i think the availibilty getting better. I wish you good luck to find your dreamwatch!
Emdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 02:58 PM   #28
SSMOKE
"TRF" Member

WhiteRhino five years ago you bought an SD43 from the grey market and you still have that watch correct? Now you want to buy a second SD43 but this time (Second time purchasing the same watch.) you want to buy it from an AD? I am curious about two things; 1. You want the AD experience so badly that you are going to purchase a watch that you already own? (Nothing wrong with that.) 2. What are you going to do with your current SD43?

Here is my opinion that you asked for. SD43 is surprisingly to me, in low demand, so more likely to be more available than other divers, however there are a ton of variables, including your location.

I bought mine, grey, a little over retail, two years ago this month. I want a second because I really like it on the black / red RUBBER B that I purchased but it is too time consuming and risky to switch it back and forth. (I am in the Pacific Ocean weekly.) Fingers crossed for both of us at an AD.

Lastly, I attempted to post wrist shot pictures of my SD43 on RUBBER B and Oyster but man do I have a challenging time posting pictures on this forum and I am on a ton of forums, always as SSMOKE.
SSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote