The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2024, 07:24 AM   #1
johnk
2024 Pledge Member

Would You Trade Pepsi BLRO for 1971 Red Submariner?

I currently have a few Vintage Rolex Sports watches as well as a few modern. One of my Vintage watches is a 1971 Red Submariner (shown recently in the Vintage Sub-Forum here). I've owned it for ~30 years and had it serviced by the NY RSC in 2005, I wore it a few months after the service, and put it in my bank's safe deposit box in late 2005 where it has remained until late week.

Last week was the first time in ~19 years it's seen the light of day. I retains its original 9315 bracelet as well as a 93150 I put on it 20+ years ago, service papers, etc... I'm now faced with the situation where I don't want to put it back at the bank, and I genuinely don't see myself wearing it at age 69 given the other modern watches I have... I'm also in downsizing/simplifying mode having sold (4) of my 60's muscle cars, my boat and some other things in order to make things easier for my family in the future..

About the only new Rolex I'd want to add to my small collection is a new Pepsi BLRO on Oyster. Obviously it's not the best time to purchase a BLRO, but I don't have a crystal ball and have no desire to attempt to predict the future...

Would you consider this a relatively even swap if I found someone with a late NIB BLRO who wanted a Red Sub?

The Vintage Subs, Sea Dwellers and GMTs were my first love in Rolex, however things and circumstances can change over time and age.

thank you

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:27 AM   #2
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
No way, I could never make that trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:30 AM   #3
johnk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
No way, I could never make that trade.

Because you prefer the modern BLRO and wouldn't want the Red Sub, or vice versa?

Old 23 January 2024, 07:34 AM   #4
Eric88
"TRF" Member

I'd keep the 1680 Red Sub. They are already more rare and they aren't making them any longer LOL. The BLRO is a nice modern watch, though there's nothing so special compared with your heirloom watch. Consider passing it down to a family member that would appreciate it?

Taking the above out of the equation, the current market value for a 1680 Red Sub and SS BLRO are in a similar ballpark, give or take depending on condition and completeness of set, etc.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:36 AM   #5
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Because you prefer the modern BLRO and wouldn't want the Red Sub, or vice versa?

It’s trading an incredibly special watch that you’ve owned for 20 years and would be very difficult to replace with a common BLRO.

Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:40 AM   #6
johnk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
I'd keep the 1680 Red Sub. They are already more rare and they aren't making them any longer LOL. The BLRO is a nice modern watch, though there's nothing so special compared with your heirloom watch. Consider passing it down to a family member that would appreciate it?

Taking the above out of the equation, the current market value for a 1680 Red Sub and SS BLRO are in a similar ballpark, give or take depending on condition and completeness of set, etc.
Thanks, I have no one who would truly appreciate the Red Sub when I'm gone the way it deserves to be appreciated, they would be thinking $$$$

Old 23 January 2024, 08:00 AM   #7
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
No I wouldn’t do it. Also I think the red sub is worth quite a bit more than blro
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:04 AM   #8
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Thanks, I have no one who would truly appreciate the Red Sub when I'm gone the way it deserves to be appreciated, they would be thinking $$$$

I'd appreciate it. You're my long-lost uncle John. Will it to me.

Serious: I wouldn't make that trade. The 1680 is very special & getting rarer by the day. Yes, BLROs are highly sought-after, but you can buy one today if you wanted to (grey). You would have a much more difficult time replacing your 1680, especially one that means so much to you. If you really want the BLRO, maybe wait a year to see if prices go down. If not, the best time to buy was yesterday, as our time on this wild rock in space is very finite. Money is made to be spent & if your benefactors will only think of their willed items for their cash value, then you might as well buy it & enjoy it now before you can't see the date through the cyclops.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:06 AM   #9
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Depends on the condition of the Red Sub. I would consider that trade.
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
yld2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:51 AM   #10
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Just think about “you”. It’s been in a safe for years, and you don’t see yourself wearing it, now that you have it, at home. Find out its current value. If you want to experience a brand new Pepsi, go for it! Life is short. Just make sure you don’t get cheated.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:51 AM   #11
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
No way would I ever consider trading a Red Sub for me it’s a way better watch and an absolute classic
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:00 AM   #12
Porschen
"TRF" Member

As the owner of a BLRO on Oyster, I wouldn’t feel right making that trade. Your watch is most likely more valuable and definitely way cooler.

Get it appraised and go from there :)
Porschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:03 AM   #13
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I think you maybe have answered your question by not wearing the Red Sub since 2005. It sounds like you really like the BLRO, you would wear it and enjoy it. Fortunately you have a well earned capital gain in the Sub, I would recommend getting the BLRO.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:18 AM   #14
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
IMHO no. It's relatively easy to find a ceramic Pepsi if willing to pay around 20k.

100% correct red 1680s will be more difficult to find in the future. Also vintage prices seem to be more down than modern pieces. Have been able to acquire a 6202 and a 5510 recently for 60% of their highs.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:36 AM   #15
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
No I wouldn't, I'd love to have a red sub.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:44 AM   #16
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Why not have both, keep the vintage sub, and buy the current modern GMT from the AD... granted you have one that is local and the sales guy or gal could deliver.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:59 AM   #17
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Quote:
I currently have a few Vintage Rolex Sports watches as well as a few modern. One of my Vintage watches is a 1971 Red Submariner (shown recently in the Vintage Sub-Forum here). I've owned it for ~30 years and had it serviced by the NY RSC in 2005, I wore it a few months after the service, and put it in my bank's safe deposit box in late 2005 where it has remained until late week.

Last week was the first time in ~19 years it's seen the light of day. I retains its original 9315 bracelet as well as a 93150 I put on it 20+ years ago, service papers, etc... I'm now faced with the situation where I don't want to put it back at the bank, and I genuinely don't see myself wearing it at age 69 given the other modern watches I have... I'm also in downsizing/simplifying mode having sold (4) of my 60's muscle cars, my boat and some other things in order to make things easier for my family in the future..

About the only new Rolex I'd want to add to my small collection is a new Pepsi BLRO on Oyster. Obviously it's not the best time to purchase a BLRO, but I don't have a crystal ball and have no desire to attempt to predict the future...

Would you consider this a relatively even swap if I found someone with a late NIB BLRO who wanted a Red Sub?

The Vintage Subs, Sea Dwellers and GMTs were my first love in Rolex, however things and circumstances can change over time and age.

thank you

Depending on the condition of the 1971 Red Submariner, the watch may be worth a sizable amount of money. WatchCharts lists a range of $8,767 - $24,067.

If you wish to part with the red Sub, I would reach out to a few vintage watch dealers (e.g., Tropical Watch or Wind Vintage) for a quote, if not done already. Depending on the value of the Sub, you may be able to buy a BLRO and have some money left over in your wallet. As an example there is a 1971 Rolex Red Submariner 1680 MK 4 Dial priced at $23,850 on Tropical Watch.

I'm thinking your first step is do a little research before consider trading. Good luck with your Rolex adventure!
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:13 AM   #18
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

No

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:13 AM   #19
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

I couldn’t do it, mainly due to the fact you’ve had it so long!
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:24 AM   #20
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
Red Sub .. I wouldn’t want to part with it ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:30 AM   #21
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Would You Trade Pepsi BLRO for 1971 Red Submariner?

I personally would never trade a Red Submariner. Especially for a current production watch. I would just buy it and add.

P.S. If not having someone to pass it on to was ever a concern, I’d sell it all at the end and throw a going away party on one of Chewbacca’s mega yachts (the affordable-ish one)
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:33 AM   #22
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Hmmm.... how many of us have had a timepiece for a long duration of time where the spark, when you put it on, is no longer there? Red Sub, 5513, etc. just becomes a place holder in your watch box where you yearn for something new and/or different. I've been collecting watches for ~30 years and over that time my collection has evolved, in many cases, for the reason I stated above. Yes, on the surface, how could anyone sell a red Sub, but you haven't lived with it for 30 years and now the heart is yearning for a change.

Another point of consideration, how many of us actually have vintage watches. Yes, I love them but there is a reason my box of 12 only has two examples. Personally, I don't fault the OP for contemplating a change.
Old 23 January 2024, 10:41 AM   #23
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Tough. I'm usually a GMT > Sub type of person but in this case I would choose the Red Sub. A modern Rolex is easier to obtain than a vintage Rolex with that type of history and providence.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:29 AM   #24
derklink
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: amacallit
I’d say get/wear only what you like, regardless of age value or whatever. The Sub has been in a safe untouched for 19 years and OP is thinking about parting with it. Don’t know what else is needed. Pretty obvious to me. Also, OP is at an age where he doesn’t care how rare a watch will be in the future and indicated that the vultures would sell it anyway.
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:31 AM   #25
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
I’d say get/wear only what you like, regardless of age value or whatever. The Sub has been in a safe untouched for 19 years and OP is thinking about parting with it. Don’t know what else is needed. Pretty obvious to me. Also, OP is at an age where he doesn’t care how rare a watch will be in the future and indicated that the vultures would sell it anyway.
Agree 100%
Old 23 January 2024, 11:39 AM   #26
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
I'd keep the vintage sub for sure!
danwang0520 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:53 AM   #27
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

How much is a naked all original red sub in good condition going for nowadays?
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 12:00 PM   #28
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
I would keep the Red Sub but that's just me.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 12:03 PM   #29
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
It’s trading an incredibly special watch that you’ve owned for 20 years and would be very difficult to replace with a common BLRO.

Agreed. No way would I ever make this trade. BLROs are a dime a dozen. OP, your watch is irreplaceable

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 12:09 PM   #30
Duralex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
How much is a naked all original red sub in good condition going for nowadays?
CPO 1680 from Govberg is 24,950. Whether CPO guaranteed means 100% original I don’t know. Depends on the definition of original.
Duralex is offline   Reply With Quote