The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2024, 03:34 AM   #1
Gooswyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT SUB EXP-II
YM40 vs Datejust41 wrist feel comparison

Hi folks,

Need your opinion about these 2 models.

I’m considering on getting YM40 or DJ41 for my next purchase, but I need your opinion about wrist feel between these 2.

As what I knew, YM40 also has ‘roundish’ shape case just like Datejust41 (and also Daytona), unlike the Sub or GMT that has ‘squarish’ shape , but I never compare these 2 side by side due to unavailabilty exhibition piece for the YM40 at the AD.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks :)
Gooswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 05:52 AM   #2
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

I have both and while they are probably the same with a measuring tape I would say that the YM feels a tiny bit bigger due to the bezel. The DJ has a much larger range of colours and bracelet/bezel options…..
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 06:21 AM   #3
Gooswyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
I have both and while they are probably the same with a measuring tape I would say that the YM feels a tiny bit bigger due to the bezel. The DJ has a much larger range of colours and bracelet/bezel options…..
Thanks….. and what about the weight and wrist motion comparison between these 2 ? Which one do you like for daily wear ?
Old 10 March 2024, 09:15 AM   #4
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I owned the YM 40 Slate and it was one of the most comfortable watches I’ve owned.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 09:19 AM   #5
Rollei35
"TRF" Member

YM40 is the most comfortable among all Rolex.
DJ is not even close.
Old 10 March 2024, 09:55 AM   #6
explorer42
"TRF" Member

YM40 is elegantly proportioned and a strikingly beautiful watch. DJ41 is the opposite, no doubt about it.
explorer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 09:59 AM   #7
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The YM is without a doubt the most comfortable Rolex.
Old 10 March 2024, 10:00 AM   #8
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
I have both & for me they are equally comfortable.The DJ has a lower profile which may just give it the edge under a cuff.

The question about daily wearer depends on which reference of DJ you’re looking at. Mine is a Wimbledon Jubilee TT, so very much has a dress watch vibe. A SS version would be better suited as a daily.

The YM40 excels at being both a casual daily or a formal occasion watch. Spectacularly underrated piece.
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 11:22 AM   #9
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I’d be careful re: some of the input you get on this forum. The DJ41 is an extremely comfortable watch to wear. But if you’re a regular on this forum, you’ll know there is always a lot of conflicting information about how well a watch wears. For example, some folks think a Submariner isn’t a comfortable watch to wear. While others say it’s one of the most comfortable watches they have ever worn.

I have a Sub, GMT and DJ41. The YM will wear closest to the DJ41 than either the Sub or GMT. I don’t think you can go wrong in either case.

Always best to try them on if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 11:25 AM   #10
cleansocks
"TRF" Member

I'm trying to decide btwn Wimbledon two tone rose vs yachtmaster two tone rose. Hard choice !
cleansocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 01:04 PM   #11
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansocks View Post
I'm trying to decide btwn Wimbledon two tone rose vs yachtmaster two tone rose. Hard choice !

Get the Wimbledon! It’s a spectacular watch. Mine is the yellow gold TT, and has become a favorite from the first time I tried it on, as an exhibition piece:

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 04:07 PM   #12
derAlchemist
"TRF" Member

Tough question, and I would say the answer is subjective.

It really depends on your wrist, watches will feel differently depending if your wrist bone is wider or narrower, also some people have a more rounded wrist and others more flat.
I would suggest to go try them both on and then you’ll know right away.

For me personally, as a lot of people stated, the YM 40 is by far the most comfortable Rolex I’ve ever had on my wrist, actually probably the most comfortable watch I’ve ever tried on.

derAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 06:20 PM   #13
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
The YM40 is less ubiquitous.

As mentioned above it sits really well and is striking. It’s a dressy sports watch.

The DJ41 to me is more dressy. I’ve tried to convince myself otherwise but to me it suits the fluted bezel, without it just looks meh.

If both were to co-exist I’d get the slate YM40 and blue dial DJ41 fluted oyster.

You’d have a dressy sport watch and a sporty dress watch, which would give you lots of wearability.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 10:08 PM   #14
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41

The answer is get both - you can’t go wrong!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 10:17 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I’d be careful re: some of the input you get on this forum. The DJ41 is an extremely comfortable watch to wear. But if you’re a regular on this forum, you’ll know there is always a lot of conflicting information about how well a watch wears. For example, some folks think a Submariner isn’t a comfortable watch to wear. While others say it’s one of the most comfortable watches they have ever worn.

I have a Sub, GMT and DJ41. The YM will wear closest to the DJ41 than either the Sub or GMT. I don’t think you can go wrong in either case.

This 100% ^^^

Everyone’s wrist is different, not to mention most of us have biased opinions based on what we own
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 11:10 PM   #16
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

YM40 is the most comfortable watch I’ve owned, Period.

That comfort would be enhanced even further if the bracelet was a jubilee. But even as it is, it conforms to my wrist superbly.

Datejust on jubilee comes a close second.

Try both on first at a boutique or dealer before deciding. Won’t go wrong with either one.

personally, I Never got a good fit from all the other Rolex sports models (sub, gmt, SD, exp etc).

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 11:48 PM   #17
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The first time I tried on a DJ41 at the AD, I was wearing my YM40. The DJ felt so lightweight and flimsy on jubilee that I thought the SA had brought me a DJ36. First impression was not good, I was very underwhelmed. I passed on a slate DJ41 and a white TT DJ41.

I really prefer the feel of Rolex sports watches, that instantly perceived robustness. I'd like to be proven wrong and don't mind trying other DJ configurations. I like dress watches on a leather strap, so it's not a problem of wearing a dainty watch when I want the classic look. Maybe I associate Rolex with sports more than classic style.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 02:52 AM   #18
Gooswyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco68 View Post
I have both & for me they are equally comfortable.The DJ has a lower profile which may just give it the edge under a cuff.

The question about daily wearer depends on which reference of DJ you’re looking at. Mine is a Wimbledon Jubilee TT, so very much has a dress watch vibe. A SS version would be better suited as a daily.

The YM40 excels at being both a casual daily or a formal occasion watch. Spectacularly underrated piece.
This time I’m looking for something more casual daily, so it would be YM40 blue dial or DJ41 Steel Jubilee with flutted bezel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

That’s the best way to deciding , but unfortunately I never had a chance to try these both at the same time at AD. Sometimes AD has DJ41 on their exhibition but not the YM40, and vice versa :(

Currently I have a rootbeer, bluesy, and exp-II , and all of these are sport model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derAlchemist View Post
Tough question, and I would say the answer is subjective.

It really depends on your wrist, watches will feel differently depending if your wrist bone is wider or narrower, also some people have a more rounded wrist and others more flat.
I would suggest to go try them both on and then you’ll know right away.

For me personally, as a lot of people stated, the YM 40 is by far the most comfortable Rolex I’ve ever had on my wrist, actually probably the most comfortable watch I’ve ever tried on.

Thanks for your opinion. I think one of the reason why YM40 is super comfort because it has “roundish’ case shape just like DJ41.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandseirolexguy View Post
YM40 is the most comfortable watch I’ve owned, Period.

That comfort would be enhanced even further if the bracelet was a jubilee. But even as it is, it conforms to my wrist superbly.

Datejust on jubilee comes a close second.

Try both on first at a boutique or dealer before deciding. Won’t go wrong with either one.

personally, I Never got a good fit from all the other Rolex sports models (sub, gmt, SD, exp etc).

I’m pretty sure one of the reason why the feel comparison between sport models and classic ones is different because of the case shape. I used to have DJ41 TT RG (sold it last year) and I remember it has different feel compare to the Gmt and Sub.

Regarding comparing YM40 and DJ41, unfortunately I never had a chance to try these both at the same time at AD because sometimes they only one of these models at the exhibition case so I can’t compare them at the same time.

Btw, thanks for all your comments here guys. Really appreciate it
Old 11 March 2024, 02:56 AM   #19
egamos
Banned

YM40 is much more comfortable, I have owned one and I enjoyed how comfortable it felt on the wrist.
egamos is offline   Reply With Quote