The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2018, 12:39 AM   #1
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Rolex vs Patek?

I’m fairly new to Rolex and don’t know anything about Patek. What makes Patek superior vs Rolex?
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 12:41 AM   #2
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I don’t personally have one, but from what I’ve seen, the finish of the watch, limited supply, and complication in the movement.
rolexfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 12:42 AM   #3
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Superior in some ways, not in all. Patek watches have better finishing, there are more complications available by the brand, etc.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 12:43 AM   #4
2024 Pledge Member

Superior? Nothing. Superiority is subjective.

Different? Everything.

Patek wins in complications and hand-finishing. Youtube is your best bet to see what makes them who they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPjFFMD3c0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dwBk7-uPmc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lK8M1JdAgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSk2a91nh-s
https://www.youtube.com/user/PatekPhilippeGeneva/videos
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 12:50 AM   #5
16610v
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Rolex is great for its sports watch

While Patek is a true luxury for its complication and dress watch.
Old 31 July 2018, 01:01 AM   #6
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Patek better finish movements
Rolex build watches to last with the best demand in the world
So which is best , it depends of what do you look for on a watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 01:36 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Availability. Finish of the movements. History. High complications. Prestige.

These are all reasons many would consider Patek far above Rolex.

I could run another list why Rolex is a better overall package for daily wear so it really depends on what you’re looking for.
Old 31 July 2018, 01:38 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Rolex vs Patek?

They both build objects that display the time... they diverge radically from there, so it’s not interchangeable as they are not playing at the same game

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 01:53 AM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Rolex build tanks with quite simple complications, Patek builds amazing watches with all the possible complications, the watches like the Aquanaut and Nautilus lines, which are the sporty Patek models are infinitely superior in comfort, you almost don't feel them on your wrist, of course much better finishing, beautiful movements you can see, and what I prefer is that 99% of people won't know you have a 40k watch when wearing a Patek, whereas almost everyone will know you have a Rolex, you don't buy a Patek to impress others, only people who know watches will know what you have. If you like sport watches take a look in the Audemars Piguet ROO collection, amazing sport watches, Patek Aquanaut and Nautilus and AP RO lines are more sporty dress watches, whereas Rolex are sport watches, even their dressy models, which can handle a beating, one is a medium horological tank, the other is high horology with a great attention to detailsI didn't have any Rolex for 4 years but am getting the new Pepsi as it is always nice to have a Rolex to use as a beater, sports, swimming and other activities, Patek watches can handle it but they can scratch easier than Rolex models, so better to not use them for some activities...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 01:54 AM   #10
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
While most individual rationale will be quite a bit subjective - especially using words like ‘superior’, ‘better’, etc.

Without going through some of the previous reasons - with which I agree. I would merely submit that in this case the ‘versus’ is where the issue starts. To me these two brands aren’t duking it out in the ‘ring’ together.

It’s like trying to determine whether or not you like apples better than oranges...or which is better—- the only similarity is that they are fruit — same thing goes here just replace fruit with watches.

A better way to assess these two brands would be to discuss what the differences are — many have been highlighted already.

Just my .02

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 04:42 AM   #11
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I agree with all by the other posters and agree with most of your points.. but i would say not just liking apples vs oranges because the two cost about the same.. Patek in general is more expensive..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
While most individual rationale will be quite a bit subjective - especially using words like ‘superior’, ‘better’, etc.

Without going through some of the previous reasons - with which I agree. I would merely submit that in this case the ‘versus’ is where the issue starts. To me these two brands aren’t duking it out in the ‘ring’ together.

It’s like trying to determine whether or not you like apples better than oranges...or which is better—- the only similarity is that they are fruit — same thing goes here just replace fruit with watches.

A better way to assess these two brands would be to discuss what the differences are — many have been highlighted already.

Just my .02

watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 04:49 AM   #12
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I agree with all by the other posters and agree with most of your points.. but i would say not just liking apples vs oranges because the two cost about the same.. Patek in general is more expensive..

Very true — however I would submit price difference - also does not necessarily equate to ‘better’ or ‘superior’...

How about an apple and a densuke watermelon.

(I do understand your point )

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 06:31 AM   #13
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I agree Price does not equate to better or superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Very true — however I would submit price difference - also does not necessarily equate to ‘better’ or ‘superior’...

How about an apple and a densuke watermelon.

(I do understand your point )

Old 31 July 2018, 02:11 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Superior to Rolex no. Different is the best term. For accuracy (some Rolexes are nuts being within a second or two a month, no other mechanical watch even Grand Seiko can match that) and robustness, Rolex is far superior. For movement finish, case thinness and possible complications Patek is superior. Both are leaders in resale value so they are doing what they do well.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 02:14 AM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Superior to Rolex no. Different is the best term. For accuracy (some Rolexes are nuts being within a second or two a month, no other mechanical watch even Grand Seiko can match that) and robustness, Rolex is far superior. For movement finish, case thinness and possible complications Patek is superior. Both are leaders in resale value so they are doing what they do well.
spring drive can and strangely enough my 5164 does its still within 30 seconds since the last time i hacked the movement close to a year ago. The patek seal is -3/+2 and a Rolex is +/- 2. My other Pateks are not as accurate as my Rolex's though.

Rolex owners do seem more obsessive about accuracy spec though.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 02:25 AM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Both are excellent brands making high quality watches. It is like comparing BMW to a Ferrari or Bentley, in that their price points are different and each have their strong fanbase.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 04:45 AM   #17
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Interesting.. I can keep my 5164 to very accurate time (off a few seconds over a couple of weeks) by placing it dial down overnight and wearing during the day. Whereas my rolexes keep excellent time but less prone to positional effects on accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
spring drive can and strangely enough my 5164 does its still within 30 seconds since the last time i hacked the movement close to a year ago. The patek seal is -3/+2 and a Rolex is +/- 2. My other Pateks are not as accurate as my Rolex's though.

Rolex owners do seem more obsessive about accuracy spec though.
Old 31 July 2018, 02:39 AM   #18
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Trying to compare. This is frequently seen on various watch sites. I have Patek. It is a “dress” watch. It keeps impeccable time, water resistant, shock resistant. Because it is thin, people equate that to fragility. Wrong. My four Rolex are the opposite. Hardly thin, with movements designed for activities in which abuse is a certainty. Patek movements are a tribute to the skill of it’s watchmakers. Beautiful to look at and admire. Rolex movements are never displayed by transparent backs. Strong, robust, utilitarian come to mind. You see the problem, trying to compare the two watches or manufactures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 02:49 AM   #19
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Both are superior in each of their categories. People hate these comparisons but the relationship best looked upon like cars as most can relate a bit better.

Rolex is more like Mercedes. Luxury, mid to high end finish. Robust and can be worn and used everyday. Obtainable luxury $ (for most people thinking of a luxury watch). Fair purchase price and cost of ownership.

Patek is like a Ferrari. Fine-tuned, definitely high end. Finished well. Got most, if not all, the bells and whistle. Harder and sometimes impossible to obtain $$$ (for most). Pricey and maintenance depends on your usage (but has improved dramatically over the years, just like modern day Ferraris)

Brand prestige, to me it's kind of like Formula 1 right now. Both are neck and neck.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:50 AM   #20
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Both are superior and should buy both :)
Old 31 July 2018, 04:09 AM   #21
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Superior no, different yes. For example a Patek has some better movements, Rolex are built better and more durable.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 04:25 AM   #22
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I would suggest you do some homework of the history of either and then go handle both. Do not bother yourself necessarily with specific models but rather the detail in either and craftsmanship/finishing. I have and do own Rolex, AP and now PP. I have not put anything else on since acquiring my 5164a (15300 one day), they are just on another level.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 04:30 AM   #23
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Rolex vs Patek?

Toyota vs Porsche.

But Rolex owners will hate me for saying this. A Toyota Corolla is super durable vs a Porsche Boxster. Less hassle, etc.

But it’s a similar comparison. Rolex makes how many million watches per year? How many does PP make?

I would say, I wouldn’t take a 911 “exploring” or some grand complication for that matter. I’d take a 4x4 Toyota, and a Rolex Explorer 1 or 2.

Same for going surfing. A 7-8k mass produced no date sub. Never a 30k (55k at current price) nautilus.

But anywhere else, pretty much a nautilus or aquanaut all day everyday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 04:47 AM   #24
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
lol..... Love the cars comparison.......

It more like Rolex (Mercedes-Benz) vs Patek (Rolls Royce).......

Like what others have say.... They are good in their own different ways....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 06:01 AM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
lol..... Love the cars comparison.......

It more like Rolex (Mercedes-Benz) vs Patek (Rolls Royce).......

Like what others have say.... They are good in their own different ways....

I agree for easy comparisons, SS Rolex is like MB and PM like Porsche. AP is like Ferrari and RM like Lambos. Patek is RR and Lange Bentley.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 05:11 AM   #26
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Rolex owners are obsessed with accuracy. Superlative chronometer, etc, on every COSC Rolex. I have read and laughed at comments from Rolex owners about the accuracy of their watch. Claim no second deviation for a week. Get real, it is mechanical, it will always have some deviation,+/- per day. I have two Rolex, one Tiffany, a Seiko Mickey Mouse quartz models. All keep time to within +/- one second per month. It’s all in the movement and finishing of same.

daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 05:13 AM   #27
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
Rolex owners are obsessed with accuracy. Superlative chronometer, etc, on every COSC Rolex. I have read and laughed at comments from Rolex owners about the accuracy of their watch. Claim no second deviation for a week. Get real, it is mechanical, it will always have some deviation,+/- per day. I have two Rolex, one Tiffany, a Seiko Mickey Mouse quartz models. All keep time to within +/- one second per month. It’s all in the movement and finishing of same.

Agree. And I get the whole precision thing but if you are checking how accurate your watch is, to the second, you have too much time on your hands.
Old 31 July 2018, 06:32 AM   #28
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Well there are different degrees of OCD here. On one of the other sites -- for quartz movements people talk about fraction of second variation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Agree. And I get the whole precision thing but if you are checking how accurate your watch is, to the second, you have too much time on your hands.
Old 31 July 2018, 06:34 AM   #29
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well there are different degrees of OCD here. On one of the other sites -- for quartz movements people talk about fraction of second variation....
I think its a little crazy either way but again, I get it.
Old 31 July 2018, 06:09 PM   #30
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Quote:
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote