The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one should be sold? 124060 or 14060M
Sell 14060M 169 49.27%
Sell 124060 174 50.73%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 November 2021, 02:39 PM   #1
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

124060 or 14060M (one has to go)

I own 2 Submariners, a 14060M and a 124060, which are my only watches at the moment. I’ve recently been hit with some financial inconveniences all at once that are all more important than a watch. (car maintenance/accident, 2 sets of braces, kids extracurricular activities, etc…) I don’t want to deplete savings or go into debt so I’ve decided I should go back to only having/wearing one watch.

A little back story, I bought my 14060M second hand 8 years ago and it is my first “nice watch”. I wore it daily until this June when I got the call for my 124060. I have been wearing it daily since I got it and I’m not sure I’m out of the honeymoon phase yet (which could be clouding my judgement here.)

So, I’ll pose the choice to you TRF. Which one should I sell?
Pros/Cons listed below.

14060M - Pros
- First “real” watch
- Paid a little more than half of the 124060 for it
- Been my daily for nearly a decade
- Lots of fond memories with it
- Light on the wrist, hardly notice it’s there most of the time

14060M - Cons
- Not as legible as 124060
- Needs a service
- Movement tends to magnetize easily

124060 - Pros
- My first from the AD
- Glidelock is amazing
- Extremely legible
- Outstanding proportions for my wrist size

124060 - Cons
- Noticeably heavier/taller than the 14060M
- Not fond of the text/SN on the rehaute or the shininess of the bezel

Sorry about the pic. I don’t know why all of my photos upload that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CD4B4FBD-FFF2-4975-9448-87DF7250498D.jpeg (83.1 KB, 1558 views)
Old 4 November 2021, 03:03 PM   #2
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

No perfect answer here. 14060 models are probably selling for more than they have ever sold for, however good examples are increasingly more difficult to find as they move more into being a collector item.

Thing is, you must have had an idea before you ordered the new sub that one day you might want to move one on. Logically, it would make sense that you had ordered the new sub to replace your old sub further down the line. I only say that because imo it’s pointless having two of (effectively) the same watch.

One final thing I’ll say. Imo the 14060 will be more of a collector item in the future than the 124060 ever will be. It marks the last of its kind for Rolex before the switch to them becoming chunky “look at me” watches. Full sets are now being advertised for crazy prices.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 03:14 PM   #3
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
No perfect answer here. 14060 models are probably selling for more than they have ever sold for, however good examples are increasingly more difficult to find as they move more into being a collector item.

Thing is, you must have had an idea before you ordered the new sub that one day you might want to move one on. Logically, it would make sense that you had ordered the new sub to replace your old sub further down the line. I only say that because imo it’s pointless having two of (effectively) the same watch.

One final thing I’ll say. Imo the 14060 will be more of a collector item in the future than the 124060 ever will be. It marks the last of its kind for Rolex before the switch to them becoming chunky “look at me” watches. Full sets are now being advertised for crazy prices.
Thanks for your input. To be honest I had no intention of ever selling either of them. I’m comfortable but not “well off” so when the 124060 came out, I hadn’t ever purchased a watch from an AD. I called the AD in my hometown and low and behold, the SA and I went to primary school together and hadn’t spoken in 20 years. I thought I would be on “the list” for years for that watch so I had time to save for it but she came through in 9 months so I “bit the bullet” and now more important things are vying for my funds.

Plus, truth be told it feels weird to me to own more than one watch and have to choose which one to wear. I love both for different reasons and I honestly can’t decide so I posted here.

FWIW, I posed this question to my wife and she said sell the old one and keep the new one because it’s shinier.
Old 4 November 2021, 03:11 PM   #4
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
It's so much a matter of individual taste. I wanted a sub for a long time and when I actually decided to buy one I thought the 14060 was the one that looked the most like the sub I had been thinking about. I understand the new one is better in some ways, maybe less better in some ways. Both are fine watches so no wrong choice. I just like how light and easy to wear the 5 digit is.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 03:17 PM   #5
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
It's so much a matter of individual taste. I wanted a sub for a long time and when I actually decided to buy one I thought the 14060 was the one that looked the most like the sub I had been thinking about. I understand the new one is better in some ways, maybe less better in some ways. Both are fine watches so no wrong choice. I just like how light and easy to wear the 5 digit is.
Good point. That’s my favorite thing about the M is how it feels on the wrist. The new one is comfortable and I can achieve an instant, perfect fit with the glidelock but the extra weight is always there and sometimes, it’s not so comfortable.
Old 4 November 2021, 03:21 PM   #6
Eric88
"TRF" Member

I’d keep the old one, based on nostalgia alone, in addition to the points you’re making. That watch has been with you a long time and you have lots of memories with it. The new watch is just a new watch.

I’d also try to keep both and work through other debt without selling a watch. This is hopefully short term and you could regret selling either watch in the long run.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 12:59 AM   #7
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
I’d keep the old one, based on nostalgia alone, in addition to the points you’re making. That watch has been with you a long time and you have lots of memories with it. The new watch is just a new watch.

I’d also try to keep both and work through other debt without selling a watch. This is hopefully short term and you could regret selling either watch in the long run.
This is why my dilemma is so difficult for me.
Old 4 November 2021, 03:30 PM   #8
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton

Keep the newer one. If you keep the old one you will need to put even more money into it to service. The new watch is registered to you. If you sell it and your AD finds out that’s it. You will never get another watch again. That’s why you Always add not sell.

But things come up and that’s part of life. Make new memories in the new 12 series. They have a superior bracelet. More power reserve. 5 years of warranty. The new proportions are nearly perfect.

It’s not like you bought your 5 digit new. It was used. Make your own new memories in the new watch you have. It will be a better watch to pass down to your kids one day too.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally couldn’t get rid of any of my divers but then again I’m not a vintage fan. I like the feel of the newer watches. They feel more premium. I had a explorer 2 5 digit and that’s the only Rolex I have sold/traded and that was for a JLC. The quality is much better in the newer watches. I know I’ll be into vintage one day but I would not daily one. For a daily nothing beats a 6 digit IMO.

Maybe you could sell one of the kids? Lol jk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 06:25 PM   #9
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
Keep the newer one. If you keep the old one you will need to put even more money into it to service. The new watch is registered to you. If you sell it and your AD finds out that’s it. You will never get another watch again. That’s why you Always add not sell.

But things come up and that’s part of life. Make new memories in the new 12 series. They have a superior bracelet. More power reserve. 5 years of warranty. The new proportions are nearly perfect.

It’s not like you bought your 5 digit new. It was used. Make your own new memories in the new watch you have. It will be a better watch to pass down to your kids one day too.

Good luck.

I personally couldn’t get rid of any of my divers but then again I’m not a vintage fan. I like the feel of the newer watches. They feel more premium. I had a explorer 2 5 digit and that’s the only Rolex I have sold/traded and that was for a JLC. The quality is much better in the newer watches. I know I’ll be into vintage one day but I would not daily one. For a daily nothing beats a 6 digit IMO.

Maybe you could sell one of the kids? Lol jk
Personally, I think you could do with a bit more ceramic Rolex sports models in your collection?
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 10:52 PM   #10
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Personally, I think you could do with a bit more ceramic Rolex sports models in your collection?

Thanks! I still have these also. Just couldn’t for the last 2 on my wrist. Lol

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 03:31 PM   #11
FlyDuc78
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day-Date YG
I voted for the 14060M to go because I think the 124060 has 72 hrs power reserve, new from AD, better build, ceramic bezel, etc. The only downside I see is it might not be as collectible as the 14060M. I would pick the 14060M if I have other 5 digits Rolexes in the collection such as the GMT, YM, Polar, and etc. Good luck with you decision! There is no right one but best one for your current situation.
FlyDuc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 03:45 PM   #12
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Keep the five digit; you have a longer history with it. Those memories, the relationship cannot be replaced.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 04:44 PM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
Keep the five digit; you have a longer history with it. Those memories, the relationship cannot be replaced.
Agreed
Plus it's a better allround everyday watch
The service on it can wait as it may go many years longer between services and a good independent can service it, where as the new one most likely needs go to Rolex on a more frequent basis going forward, regardless of what Rolex says.
The newer one can be sold for more coin as well seeing as the funds are needed

Everything of note is pointing to keeping the 5 digit
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 03:52 PM   #14
rkny
"TRF" Member

As a 124060 owner, I’d keep it.

Considering you got it from an AD at retail, it’s currently the least expensive of all Subs, new or old. That feels strange to even type because historically a used 14060/M has been the cheapest way to get a Sub for the past decade. But we are living in strange times.

The upside is, by selling the 14060, your original investment in it pays off nicely. If you sell the 41, as mentioned, you’ll have to dodge your AD friend. And if you have seller’s remorse, the odds of you getting another 41 at retail aren’t high.

Conversely, if you sell the 14060 and end up missing it terribly, you can sell the 41, find a really nice replacement 14060 that doesn’t need a $1000 overhaul, and pocket a couple of grand in change.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on sentimental reasons for keeping the older model. You can always get another one. There are literally millions of them out there. You’ll make new memories.

I had a ceramic Sub date I that wore on my wedding day, and for the next 10 years. I sold it for a 3K profit and turned it into a much rarer 114300 black dial, plus cash. Then I scored a 124060 from an AD and haven’t looked back.

If you were talking about a red 1680 or a nice 5512/3, instead of a 14060, it would be a very different proposition.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 04:03 PM   #15
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
How often have you magnetised the 14060 and what’s causing it?
Old 4 November 2021, 07:42 PM   #16
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
How often have you magnetised the 14060 and what’s causing it?
I haven’t found the source yet but about once or twice a year it will suddenly be running extremely fast. I take it to the AD and sure enough the watchmaker verifies that it was magnetized. I wish I knew what keeps causing it.
Old 4 November 2021, 04:21 PM   #17
StillTrying
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, black
I’m in a similar boat, needing to get rid of one of my two Rolex, so I sympathize.
Two points:
1. If you really can’t decide, sell the one that will fetch more money. (I don’t know the answer to that one in your case.)
2. The 124060 is a new watch and easily replaceable for many years to come, maybe even at mark. Your 14060M, not so easy to replace down the line.
Good luck

StillTrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 04:32 PM   #18
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I’ve owned both, and now the only sub i have is a 126610. I sold my buddy my 14060 Swiss only for about 5k 3 years ago. Now it’s probably closer to 10.5k. Point being, I’d you dump the 14060 now, you might be paying 12-15k down the road for it later.

I really enjoy vintage, but for me the 6 digits are more my style. If i was in your shoes though i would release the new sub. It’s only been out for two years, it likely has at least 4-5 more before a new version comes out. You will have plenty of time to get another.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 04:45 PM   #19
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I wore a 14060 for 17 years, then sold it and got a 114060, and then sold that immediately when I got a 124060. I have zero regrets about selling the 14060, even though I had it for so long. I guess I don’t have that thing where I become friends with my watch like some people do.

For me, the 124060 is the best Sub ever created. But it’s so very subjective. Only you can really decide. Just listen to your gut.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 04:46 PM   #20
SearChart
TechXpert

Get rid of the 124060, it's bloated and has no character. 14060M is peak Rolex.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 07:47 PM   #21
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Thanks for chiming in Bas. Your advice carries a lot of weight.
Old 4 November 2021, 09:46 PM   #22
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Do you think so Bas? That surprises me.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 04:52 PM   #23
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
The 14060M is in another league. Perfect proportions and you have perfect dial aesthetics with the 2 lines. People criticise the bracelet of the 14060M by modern standards, but unless you're a serious/actually professional diver, it's more than adequate. Whereas the clasp of the 124060 is ridiculously thick.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 05:03 PM   #24
rkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
Whereas the bracelet of the 124060 is ridiculously thick.
The thickness of the bracelets between 14060>124060 is nearly identical if not so.

If you mean width, it’s 1mm wider.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 05:08 PM   #25
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post
The thickness of the bracelets between 14060>124060 is nearly identical if not so.
Whoops, I meant clasp
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 06:31 PM   #26
fania123
"TRF" Member

Flip a coin. When it's in the air, you'll know which side you're hoping for.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 07:15 PM   #27
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
Is there a wealthy friend who can “buy” it from you, ie. loan you money in exchange for the watch (interest free if it’s a good friend!) for buy-back at the same price (+inflation as appropriate) at a future time when you are able?

That avoids letting go of a watch and finding it difficult to buy again in the open market.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 07:52 PM   #28
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagon View Post
Is there a wealthy friend who can “buy” it from you, ie. loan you money in exchange for the watch (interest free if it’s a good friend!) for buy-back at the same price (+inflation as appropriate) at a future time when you are able?

That avoids letting go of a watch and finding it difficult to buy again in the open market.
I like your thought process here. I have contemplated this but in my circles $10-15K is a huge ask and none of them are into watches so they just wouldn’t understand.
Old 5 November 2021, 01:58 PM   #29
jlevitt9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fania123 View Post
This comment isn’t getting enough credit. Do this.
jlevitt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 04:53 PM   #30
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fania123 View Post
Excellent point
A honest attempt at flipping a coin and following through sort the emotional wheat from the chaf.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote