The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which would you choose as a milestone watch?
Sub C 99 51.56%
Milgauss Z-Blue 11 5.73%
SD4Kc 53 27.60%
Other 29 15.10%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 March 2018, 04:00 AM   #1
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Milestone watch: what should I get?

I'm looking at what I'd like to add to my modest collection in anticipation of a few big milestones this year. I'm having a bit of trouble choosing what to pair with my Explorer. I can only purchase one watch. I've narrowed it down a good bit so far:

Submariner - Classic and timeless, but also black faced like my Exp. I go back and forth on date/no date as well, but I think I'm leaning towards the 114060 between the two.

Milgauss Z-Blue - The first Rolex that I really fell for. The color is incredible, but definitely a less versatile piece. It also has a polished bezel like my Explorer, so I don't love the similarity there.

SD4Kc - One of my favorite watches. They've been ticking up in price recently, but with some searching I think I could find a reasonably priced one. Main issue here is cost.

I'm open to other options as well!
Old 6 March 2018, 04:12 AM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
I think I'm leaning towards the 114060.
My vote.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 04:19 AM   #3
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
Definitely buy the one you really want.
Buy right pain once
Old 6 March 2018, 04:27 AM   #4
Drixonite
"TRF" Member

Obviously biased towards the 114060 as people on the forum probably know by now but I'd say if you want a date window, go with the SD4000. I'm a big time date window hater (think it throws off the symmetry, and I either know the date 'cause I'm working, or don't care because I'm vacation).
Drixonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 04:30 AM   #5
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollee1 View Post
Definitely buy the one you really want.
Buy right pain once
Truth be told, I really like them all. I'm not sure which I want, which is what led me to post here. I'm hoping someone will point something out that will make one of these click for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drixonite View Post
Obviously biased towards the 114060 as people on the forum probably know by now but I'd say if you want a date window, go with the SD4000. I'm a big time date window hater (think it throws off the symmetry, and I either know the date 'cause I'm working, or don't care because I'm vacation).
I'm typically a no-date person myself, but I find the SD to be cool because of it's rarity and the fact that it's a little different from a normal Sub. It's a minor difference, but I like minute details.
Old 6 March 2018, 04:44 AM   #6
Drixonite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm typically a no-date person myself, but I find the SD to be cool because of it's rarity and the fact that it's a little different from a normal Sub. It's a minor difference, but I like minute details.
I totally feel you and was facing this exact decision this past month (114060 vs SD4000). Especially in the NYC area, subs are far, far too common. The SD4000 is definitely the more unique choice, and will only become more rare - were there any other professional Rolexes produced for only 3 years? I'm no expert but can't think of any. The no-date was really the deciding factor for me, along with the inability to inspect the SD4000 in person. Love the fully graduated bezel which is actually very useful in diving. However, I like the oversized look of the modern Sub, and they recently revised the text to be bolder which was an improvement in my (and a few others') opinion(s).

Also, FYI, wait should not be too long in NYC for 114060.

Drixonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 05:04 AM   #7
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncufunc View Post
not at all, and gives the watch an added feature. It shares the PCLs with the Milgauss. That was the biggest change for me, going from brushed bracelets on the Exp1 and an old DJ to the blingy bracelet on the GMT.
Interesting, I forgot about the PCLs as well. How do you feel about those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I voted Submariner.

If it's to celebrate milestones, then a timeless watch is in order. Of the watches on your list, one could argue it represents iconic timelessness the best.

Also, not sure if you're a fan, but if you were considering ever adding a Speedmaster Professional then perhaps this is the right occasion.
I'm not much of a Speedy Pro person, even though I've tried to love them. It definitely has crossed my mind to get something timeless though. That being said, what Drixonite wrote below is accurate as well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drixonite View Post
I totally feel you and was facing this exact decision this past month (114060 vs SD4000). Especially in the NYC area, subs are far, far too common. The SD4000 is definitely the more unique choice, and will only become more rare - were there any other professional Rolexes produced for only 3 years? I'm no expert but can't think of any. The no-date was really the deciding factor for me, along with the inability to inspect the SD4000 in person. Love the fully graduated bezel which is actually very useful in diving. However, I like the oversized look of the modern Sub, and they recently revised the text to be bolder which was an improvement in my (and a few others') opinion(s).

Also, FYI, wait should not be too long in NYC for 114060.

You're 100% right about the Sub being a bit common. That's what caused me to pass on it when making my first purchase, but since then I've really come to appreciate the design of the SubC (as opposed to the 5 digit models I looked at). I love the SD4K, but my main issue is price. It's a pretty big premium over the Sub that I'm not really sure I can justify, even if it's a great (and rare) watch.

I already know of a place that could get me one in about a month, and potentially even one I could get from a friend of mine that's still NIB.
Old 6 March 2018, 05:07 AM   #8
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
Quote:
Interesting, I forgot about the PCLs as well. How do you feel about those?

I'm not much of a Speedy Pro person, even though I've tried to love them. It definitely has crossed my mind to get something timeless though. That being said, what Drixonite wrote below is accurate as well....

You're 100% right about the Sub being a bit common. That's what caused me to pass on it when making my first purchase, but since then I've really come to appreciate the design of the SubC (as opposed to the 5 digit models I looked at). I love the SD4K, but my main issue is price. It's a pretty big premium over the Sub that I'm not really sure I can justify, even if it's a great (and rare) watch.

I already know of a place that could get me one in about a month, and potentially even one I could get from a friend of mine that's still NIB.
helps me dress up and down the watch with ease
uncufunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 06:05 AM   #9
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
Quote:
Truth be told, I really like them all. I'm not sure which I want, which is what led me to post here. I'm hoping someone will point something out that will make one of these click for me.

This.
I buy the most expensive one I could afford.
Old 6 March 2018, 04:29 AM   #10
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

SubC and move the Exp1 for a MilgaussBlue
Old 6 March 2018, 04:32 AM   #11
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A friend recommended this idea to me, but the Exp is too special for me to ever part with. I think I'd regret selling it.
Old 6 March 2018, 04:36 AM   #12
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A friend recommended this idea to me, but the Exp is too special for me to ever part with. I think I'd regret selling it.
From your choices, I am guessing the date is largely unimportant. If so, I'd get the sub as the ceramic is something else. I had a 214270 but love the ceramic bezel on my 116710 - another choice for you
Old 6 March 2018, 04:39 AM   #13
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:
From your choices, I am guessing the date is largely unimportant. If so, I'd get the sub as the ceramic is something else. I had a 214270 but love the ceramic bezel on my 116710 - another choice for you
You're correct on the date. I did consider the 116710LN as well. How do you feel about the GMT hand? Is it a distraction on the dial?
Old 6 March 2018, 04:42 AM   #14
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're correct on the date. I did consider the 116710LN as well. How do you feel about the GMT hand? Is it a distraction on the dial?
not at all, and gives the watch an added feature. It shares the PCLs with the Milgauss. That was the biggest change for me, going from brushed bracelets on the Exp1 and an old DJ to the blingy bracelet on the GMT.
Old 6 March 2018, 05:48 AM   #15
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 SD43
Quote:
NO! you don't get rid of the Explorer especially if it is your first Rolex
bellesdad0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 07:57 AM   #16
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
Milestone watch = 114060, I do like the SD4K but am not into paying a premium.
Omega Seamaster 300
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 04:33 AM   #17
RedLs3
Banned

Get them all
RedLs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 04:34 AM   #18
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

Milgauss for me
Old 6 March 2018, 04:44 AM   #19
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I voted Submariner.

If it's to celebrate milestones, then a timeless watch is in order. Of the watches on your list, one could argue it represents iconic timelessness the best.

Also, not sure if you're a fan, but if you were considering ever adding a Speedmaster Professional then perhaps this is the right occasion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monday.jpg (99.8 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpeg Wednesday.jpeg (117.1 KB, 574 views)
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 05:33 AM   #20
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I voted Submariner.

Love the Speedy as much as the next guy, but no disrespect and please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't feel it's special enough to be a milestone watch.
I would vote Sub as my choice given the 3 options available.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 04:56 AM   #21
uniemaia
"TRF" Member

Milgauss Z-Blue
uniemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 04:59 AM   #22
Ungucpho
Banned

Quote:
Submariner - Classic and timeless, but also black faced like my Exp. I go back and forth on date/no date as well, but I think I'm leaning towards the 114060 between the two.
My vote as well, i'd just get the option on what the AD has. I didn't think i'd like the date, but i love my SubC date
Ungucpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 04:59 AM   #23
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
TT Bluesy Submariner....going to be my next one, crosses off having a Sub, and that Blue sunburst dial, beautiful....
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 05:02 AM   #24
Axl
"TRF" Member

I'd get a SD4k. If you can't find one at a good price then a Sub.
Axl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 05:03 AM   #25
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

DD40 iced... but hey that's just me.

Whatever you choose, please wear it 24/7/365 and enjoy your time.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 05:24 AM   #26
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655+216570
Quote:
I'm looking at what I'd like to add to my modest collection in anticipation of a few big milestones this year. I'm having a bit of trouble choosing what to pair with my Explorer. I can only purchase one watch. I've narrowed it down a good bit so far:

Milgauss Z-Blue - The first Rolex that I really fell for. The color is incredible, but definitely a less versatile piece. It also has a polished bezel like my Explorer, so I don't love the similarity there.

SD4Kc - One of my favorite watches. They've been ticking up in price recently, but with some searching I think I could find a reasonably priced one. Main issue here is cost.

I'm open to other options as well!

Explorer 2 if you want something different!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
218225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 05:44 AM   #27
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I voted Sub C.
Old 6 March 2018, 05:45 AM   #28
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Out of the ones you selected, Sub. However, look at DJ41 or DJ and see the dial color options. How about Explorer II Polar?
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 05:45 AM   #29
DandyAnt
"TRF" Member

Another vote fur SubC
DandyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 05:46 AM   #30
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
BTW what milestone are we celebrating? Might make a difference on the coin recommended.