The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 August 2016, 02:30 AM   #1
JayRobert
Banned

Watch: PP 5204
The Watch Industry

As I measured the pulse of my patient utilizing a blue dial timex I observed on their wrist a Rolex. At that particular instant, I began to wonder why one would consider such an extravagant ornament which was, in hind site, approximately 500 times the labor in dollars as compared to my own. It immediately brought me to a short span of time at the end of my uncle's journey. He once said that a gentleman needs two things in the real world. He stated that you need a nice watch and a good pair of shoes. He was a hard nosed business man who owned a steel and textile manufacturing plant and for many years considered my family as one from the wrong side of the tracks. His daily time piece was a steel Oyster Perpetual Datejust Rolex with a blue dial. We had much to learn from one another and to this day I'm thankful to have known him as an adult. That, however, is another story.
It was six months ago that I began to read about and compare and contrast the different types of complications and more recently and specifically chronographs, tachymeters, and pulsometers. After a bit of leisure reading and with very little understanding as to their origin, relevance to every day life and mechanical inner workings, I began to wonder why are these time pieces so fantastic, invigorating and seductive? Why am I obsessed with a hobby which reinforces my unpopular nerd legacy? Why is the experience when reading about watches as palpable as the initial 15 seconds of a patient encounter?
From the beginning of time there has always been a function within which everything operates. There are a specific amount of seconds or split seconds in each day and as an observer, by nature and trade, I began to read about the evolution of recorded and measured time. The thought of recording or knowing our position or a rough approximation relative to other celestial objects and bodies in multiple measures of time is fascinating. The obsession was infinitely perpetuated.
When your profession is held in a class of expected or perceived higher esteem and class, there often are moments when you realize that books can only bring you to a particular point of knowing. It is only when you experience in real life and time the complications, problems, and potential solutions thereof that you truly begin to cultivate understanding.
I began to visit and call on different Authorized Dealers including PP as well as other brands for guidance, education, and a deeper understanding of the pieces, that when properly together and in perfect and exact harmony, function in a concise and beautiful manner so as to measure the moments of time. Such is life. The prospect of the potential future interactions with those who better understand my new hobby was reassuring and gave me a rare something to which I may look forward. This was partially true.
What I've found the watch industry to be is very difficult, unforgiving, and unwelcoming when it comes to the Authorized Dealers. The watch industry, as I define it, is comprised of the individuals who sell on behalf of particular companies while functioning as the brand and product educators for whom they serve as representatives. It is also important that the representative be familiar with competing brands in the same caliber of competition for there will inevitably be honest questions to which many of us are not knowledgeable or do not have privilege.
I have a short story of a much anticipated visit to a Patek Philippe AD which is located a few hours north. This visit included a sense of awe as I walked through doors as thick as those protecting the vault of a bank. This awe was compounded by a perceived security that rivaled that of Fort Knox. I was greeted by an attractive young lady who was more than eager to show me PP time pieces as she introduced me to the PP seating area. I had a coffee in tow and as I approached the seating arrangement, asked if she had something on which I may set my beverage. She was a young and attractive sales associate who appeared to be knowledgeable about time pieces, though at this point I'm not one to judge what constitutes knowledge of watches. I began to ask insightful or better put curious questions about the different watches I found to be important. I asked not because I knew the answer but rather as a bridge to further understand the details, reasons, and history behind a potentially involved investment. She stated that I knew a lot about watches, which was certainly not accurate and I was in no manner pretending to be any type of aficionado. She then proceeded to excuse herself only to be replaced by the owner of the shop. It was at this moment that I understood her presence was one of a superficial nature in an upscale region. It was apparent that many of the clients in this particular area purchased status symbols rather than exciting pieces of history and knowledge. I understand that most expensive or luxury purchases are experiences of exhilaration, excitement and conquering the ability to afford that which few may obtain. I've found my reason is of a very different nature. This man sat before me with silence as his approach. He sighed, took out a coaster and without knowing I have manners, placed my beverage onto it with authority. It is not clear the reason for the unwelcoming demeanor and disrespectful attitude. I later reasoned that it was likely a defense mechanism for his employees lack of any real knowledge about the product she represents. The questions I asked were similar in nature to those not known by the lady associate. The responses I received were short, not relevant, not educational or enthusiastic, and rude beyond anything i've ever experienced. The room tilted to an uncomfortable balance when price negotiations became subject. This is an important part of the story because as a consumer price does matter. My profession allows me to earn a decent salary but this does not lead one to reason that all of those earnings should be spent irresponsibly. The only reason my salary should have any relevance is that it validates my ability to make the purchase thereby granting me a seat at the table. If it is not one particular table, it will be another. It will be another.
I left without anger but have still a feeling of disappointment. I am not discouraged and will continue the pursuit of time.
Thank you for indulging in my current state of affairs.
JayRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 02:33 AM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the world of watches, not for the faint of heart (nor was reading all of that).
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 03:00 AM   #3
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Welcome to the world of watches, not for the faint of heart (nor was reading all of that).
So the faint of heart was a part of the reason I posted the story. Which chronograph with a pulsometer would you choose and why?
Old 24 August 2016, 04:24 AM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRobert View Post
… Which chronograph with a pulsometer would you choose and why?
if this had been the opener, your question may have done better out of the gate?

i like the 5170G, it has qualities of many vintage pieces with a modern movement and size .

p.s. to be clear "us" does not represent this member "as a collective"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1964.jpg (78.8 KB, 279 views)
Old 24 August 2016, 08:40 AM   #5
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 08:43 AM   #6
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I would guess that you're an IT guy with the name code cow...
What is your favorite chronograph?
Old 24 August 2016, 12:41 PM   #7
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I thought the same thing
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 02:34 AM   #8
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

You lost me at pulse
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 02:52 AM   #9
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
You lost me at pulse
Did you lose your pulse? Did your parents have any children that lived? haha. This is fun. Thanks.
Old 24 August 2016, 03:10 AM   #10
Samui
Banned

Quote:
You lost me at pulse
Lol same
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 03:19 AM   #11
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post
Lol same
Did you really laugh out loud? Holy moly I never knew it could feel so good being a comedian. That's so cool that you literally laughed out loud. Haha.

I will have to guess that most of the negative posts come from people who really were nerds in high school and now have a platform by success in the business world.

Keep 'em coming cats.
Old 24 August 2016, 03:25 AM   #12
Samui
Banned

Quote:
Did you really laugh out loud? Holy moly I never knew it could feel so good being a comedian. That's so cool that you literally laughed out loud. Haha.

I will have to guess that most of the negative posts come from people who really were nerds in high school and now have a platform by success in the business world.

Keep 'em coming cats.
You got me I didnt lol it was more like blowing air out of my nose. But I did read your whole post. It was an interesting read. Thank you for sharing. This forum is all fun. Take a joke no need to be so serious.
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 03:30 AM   #13
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post
You got me I didnt lol it was more like blowing air out of my nose. But I did read your whole post. It was an interesting read. Thank you for sharing. This forum is all fun. Take a joke no need to be so serious.
I was being facetious. I have a day off relax over there.
Old 24 August 2016, 10:32 AM   #14
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
You lost me at pulse
You should donate some money to the forum. Its been a while since you joined.
Old 24 August 2016, 02:39 AM   #15
PJ S
Banned

Thanks for providing us with a block of text to wade through – and there’s me thinking courtesy was a thing of the distant past.
When you get round to proper structure of sentences and paragraphs, I’ll spend time reading through it – but as it is, TL;CBATR.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 02:50 AM   #16
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Thanks for providing us with a block of text to wade through – and there’s me thinking courtesy was a thing of the distant past.
When you get round to proper structure of sentences and paragraphs, I’ll spend time reading through it – but as it is, TL;CBATR.
"us"? Do you have more than one personality?

"to wade through"?

"round"? (around)

"I will spend time"? (definitive article perhaps)

"but as it is" (fragment)

"courtesy"? Are you using this as a noun or adjective?

"there's me"? translated to "there is me". The meaning and placement of this grammatical fragment is unclear.

Your reply to this post could be an example of irony if there were grammatical errors within the context of the original post.
Old 24 August 2016, 03:57 AM   #17
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
"us"? Do you have more than one personality?
Don’t we all?
Speaking for myself, me and I are also part of the trio.
However, since you knew that already, then “us” refers to the members as a collective.

Quote:
"to wade through"?
It’s a pejorative term, describing the effort needed to read your prose.
Don’t worry if you didn’t know that, you’re new here.

Quote:
"round"? (around)
Mea culpa…a missing apostrophe before the r.

Quote:
"I will spend time"? (definitive article perhaps)
Definitely definitive, but only when you can be bothered to write with readability foremost.
Otherwise, the brevity of conciseness would be so much more rewarding and appreciated.

Quote:
"but as it is" (fragment)
Indeed – but in the context of, and pertaining to, your opening post, it’s clearly understood to what I was referring.

Quote:
"courtesy"? Are you using this as a noun or adjective?
Do you have a preference which?
Personally, I’d roll with a noun – but if you think it’s an adjective…

Quote:
"there's me"? translated to "there is me". The meaning and placement of this grammatical fragment is unclear.
Translation? Since when were contractions deemed a foreign language?
The word you were looking for, but failed to find in your vocabulary, is “expanded”.
As for the sentence itself – it is, in effect, a soliloquy.
Old 24 August 2016, 04:10 AM   #18
JayRobert
Banned

No need to correct my commentary on your attempt to one up my corrections as i'm not in the correct grammar mode at this time. Please see the below edits and responses. This is fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Don’t we all?
Speaking for myself, me and I are also part of the trio.
However, since you knew that already, then “us” refers to the members as a collective. (My, it sure did take you a long while to google grammar your response)

It’s a pejorative term, describing the effort needed to read your prose.
Don’t worry if you didn’t know that, you’re new here. (its effortless when educated to the point of understanding)

Mea culpa…a missing apostrophe before the r. (There is no such contraction other than if you're pregnant)

Definitely definitive, but only when you can be bothered to write with readability foremost. (fragment)

Otherwise, the brevity of conciseness would be so much more rewarding and appreciated. (otherwise relevant or compared to what)

Indeed – but in the context of, and pertaining to, your opening post, it’s clearly understood to what I was referring. (clearly its not understood if it is in question)

Do you have a preference which? (no but it matters)
Personally, I’d roll with a noun – but if you think it’s an adjective…

Translation? Since when were contractions deemed a foreign language?
The word you were looking for, but failed to find in your vocabulary, is “expanded”. (for which you were looking?)

As for the sentence itself – it is, in effect, a soliloquy.
(didn't another member make mention about a site for budding writers, which may or may not pertain to those attempting to write a soliloquy?)
Old 24 August 2016, 04:22 AM   #19
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
No need to correct my commentary on your attempt to one up my corrections as i'm not in the correct grammar mode at this time. Please see the below edits and responses. This is fun.

(didn't another member make mention about a site for budding writers, which may or may not pertain to those attempting to write a soliloquy?)
Don’t mistake my facetiousness as anything but just that.
If Paul is in a sharing mood, help yourself to some of his popcorn – you can butter him up by commenting on how lovely his Richard Mille are…and no, that definitely isn’t a euphemism!
Old 24 August 2016, 02:50 AM   #20
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Hi Jay,

Do you like cats?

I'm sorry the PP dealer was rude to you.

Okay, bye.

P.S. The people in the Vacheron Constantin, F.P. Journe, and Breguet boutiques in NYC are all super nice and knowledgeable.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 02:56 AM   #21
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Hi Jay,

Do you like cats?

I'm sorry the PP dealer was rude to you.

Okay, bye.

P.S. The people in the Vacheron Constantin, F.P. Journe, and Breguet boutiques in NYC are all super nice and knowledgeable.
Thank you for your insight. Which chronograph with the pulsometer function would you consider?
Old 24 August 2016, 03:47 AM   #22
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for your insight. Which chronograph with the pulsometer function would you consider?
Hello,

This is an extraordinary chronometer with pulsometer and the NYC boutique couldn't be a nicer place to ask questions and learn about the watch:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/in...ny-chronograph

May I note that you didn't answer my question about whether you like cats.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 03:54 AM   #23
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
Hello,

This is an extraordinary chronometer with pulsometer and the NYC boutique couldn't be a nicer place to ask questions and learn about the watch:

Thank you for the link. Yes I've seen this video and I agree it is a spectacular watch. I like to gather opinions from many because sometimes there is really useful info of which I may not have thought. I don't make split second decisions, though i wouldn't mind a chrono with split seconds.

PS Do you like KarlS avatar wherein he is advertising how important he is by showcasing his watch collection? Wait what is the definition of pretentious? ha ha.
You guys are fun.
As for cats I have no position.
It depends on what your definition of the word cats is. I love Bill Clinton.
Old 24 August 2016, 04:03 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Send that thing over to the editor before publishing it next time. Painful to read. No offense meant.

Get yourself a 5170G white dial and you're done. The doctors chronograph. You'll want to buy preowned to get the best price.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 04:10 AM   #25
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Can I get the Cliff Notes version of your post?
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2016, 07:42 AM   #26
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Well stated, and I agree with the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Send that thing over to the editor before publishing it next time. Painful to read. No offense meant.

Get yourself a 5170G white dial and you're done. The doctors chronograph. You'll want to buy preowned to get the best price.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 04:25 AM   #27
willski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello,

A few other decent and modern chronograph options with pulsometer: previous 5170, Montblanc Heritage Pulsographe and Vintage Pulsographe, Lange 1815 chrono boutique edition.

If you look into vintage I'm sure there will be many, many more options as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 02:57 AM   #28
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Ibtl.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 03:07 AM   #29
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
Ibtl.
What are the different measures of time? How and why are they different from one another? Are you a big shot on TRF because you've posted over 600 times? Does negativity reign supreme so as to make you feel better by tearing down another? If the reason you enjoy wearing a watch is to show it off that is acceptable. I have a bit more curiosity and thoroughly enjoy exploring the things that I enjoy to a deeper level. Do you?
Old 24 August 2016, 10:33 AM   #30
JayRobert
Banned

Quote:
Ibtl.
ditto.
Thanks to those who responded with helpful advice or opinion Your assistance is appreciated.