The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2012, 04:42 AM   #1
smellychips
"TRF" Member

Watch: it guvnor!
Picking up my NEW DSSD saturday ... Help

Sorry if i sound like a complete newbie (as i am) ... bought my first Rolex this week from a AD in Northwest England (goldsmiths)
due to working commitments its still in the shop waiting for me ...i would like to ask a few questions that are niggling me, firstly if its a brand NEW Rolex deepsea sea dweller 2012 will this be distinguishable by any certain NUMBERS or markings? ...
also! ..should i insist that all the protective seals i.e plastics are still in place covering the watch? ...

only ever had two quality watches before in 25 years and want this to be special

thanks in advance to you all who help me out, .. the forum has been a wealth of info for me in recent weeks leading up to my purchase and i hope to stick around for a good while yet , pictures will deffo follow when i pick my new timepieace up
smellychips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A new Deepsea would be nice..

There is absolutely no way to "know" if one Deepsea in the case is "newer" than another next to it without seeing the actual Dealer shipping invoice.. Functionally, they are identical. Those who think they know are blowing hot air and relying on myth and lore for their misinformation..

As to stickers on the watch.. Another obsession by some... Ask them to leave them on if you want to peel them off yourself.. No reason why they would refuse..

However, a proper Dealer will take them off, take your hand, put the watch on and ensure it properly fits before you leave the shop.. It's part of the Dealer experience..
Old 22 June 2012, 09:30 AM   #3
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I've never bought a Rolex from an ad so I'm sure Larry is right.
Congrats on the beast. Can't wait to see it Saturday!
Old 22 June 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Igerswis
"TRF" Member

The first DSSD's had a V serial I think. The latest ones have a random G serial and it'll have either a mkii or mkiii dial depending on how long it's been lying around.

The newer dials have a more rounded 'S' amongst a few other changes. A quick search on google will bring up some photos.

I got mine from David M Robinson in the northwest. The first watch had no protective covers and was in the display case. I refused it due to marks in the crystal. The second one had no protective covers either as that was in a display case in Chester. Ony used them instead of Goldsmiths as they gave an extra years warranty and a free service.

I remember when I went to a Goldsmiths in the northwest around two years ago they had kept all the protective covers on the DSSD on their display. So I guess it depends on where you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Raymond Weil Parsifal / Zenith El Primero Stratos
Casio GWF-1000 / GW-1000 / MTG-S1030
Igerswis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 12:13 PM   #5
ffighter556
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by irf View Post
the first dssd's had a v serial i think. The latest ones have a random g serial and it'll have either a mkii or mkiii dial depending on how long it's been lying around.

The newer dials have a more rounded 's' amongst a few other changes. A quick search on google will bring up some photos.

I got mine from david m robinson in the northwest. The first watch had no protective covers and was in the display case. I refused it due to marks in the crystal. The second one had no protective covers either as that was in a display case in chester. Ony used them instead of goldsmiths as they gave an extra years warranty and a free service.

I remember when i went to a goldsmiths in the northwest around two years ago they had kept all the protective covers on the dssd on their display. So i guess it depends on where you go.

Sent from my ipad using tapatalk hd

m..........
ffighter556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Congrats on your new acquisition.

As to the stickers, it's entirely up to you. I guess the longer they stay on, the less chance of scratches in the meantime. My AD offered to peel mine off for me when they sized the bracelet. I let them do it to save me the hassle, but several months later still managed to find some they had missed!
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 11:39 AM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Congrats!
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 12:24 PM   #8
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Welcome to Club Deepsea!
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 12:11 PM   #9
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Congrats on the DSSD. Can't wait to see pics. I'd wear it, enjoy it, and don't worry about serial number or plastics on the watch. Just make sure it doesn't have any scratches or damage before you leave the store. As its an AD I don't think a scratch free watch is too much to ask.

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

DSSD started with the "M" serials... If it were me buying a BNIB Rolex from an AD, I would want a random serial.
Congrats on your new purchase, it's a great watch!
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 12:44 PM   #11
PHBouche
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP007/GMTIIC/DSSD
When I got my DSSD. I first got it resize and then I took off the the plastic cover myself. For me it's part of the fun to take the plastic cover of the new watch.
PHBouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 12:48 PM   #12
david_ord

Watch: Deep Sea 116660
Congratulations!
david_ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 01:01 PM   #13
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Congrats on the a great piece!
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 01:01 PM   #14
superboey
"TRF" Member

Congrats... Deep sea = deep love
superboey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 04:44 AM   #15
smellychips
"TRF" Member

thanks to everyone who has posted!! ...got some more ammo for tomorrow when i'm paying for it and picking it up, .. i will check it over again before i commit just to make sure all it fine. I'm buying at the pre-increase price here in England £7070 (seems to be just over $11000 for you US peeps, .. i think (hope) its a good deal as the increase here in UK will bring the new price next week to around £8000 ($12500 US) ..
beeing made to feel as if its a great price by the AD, but i supose they are there to sell.. what do you people think?
Old 23 June 2012, 11:23 PM   #16
Igerswis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellychips View Post
thanks to everyone who has posted!! ...got some more ammo for tomorrow when i'm paying for it and picking it up, .. i will check it over again before i commit just to make sure all it fine. I'm buying at the pre-increase price here in England £7070 (seems to be just over $11000 for you US peeps, .. i think (hope) its a good deal as the increase here in UK will bring the new price next week to around £8000 ($12500 US) ..
beeing made to feel as if its a great price by the AD, but i supose they are there to sell.. what do you people think?
Ask them to throw in an extra years warranty and a free service, otherwise go elsewhere. The DSSD might not be stocked by every Rolex AD but it isn't difficult to get hold of either. As I stated earlier, David M Robinson gave me a deal as they are an independant AD. Goldsmiths have less flexibility and are much less likely to offer nay deal at all.
Igerswis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 01:07 AM   #17
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
If you love the DSSD then the amount of $ paid will be long forgotten once you walk out the door. Good luck just don't let them pressure enough if your not ready.

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 01:16 AM   #18
How
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Tudor 1960
Congratulations! I know the feeling.

The best way to tell how late a model is by the serial number I guess... if it's a V serial then this will not be a 2012. G Serials are 2012 (correct me if I am wrong, anyone!)

And the plastics... it should be presented to you with all factory plastics at the AD. If not, then ask them why the plastics have been peeled off. I would demand one with full plastics still on and won't accept otherwise.

And when they size the bracelet, they might peel them off for you. I told my AD when I bought my DSSD, to leave the plastics on and they did just that. I kept them all on for at least 1 month (even the red tab underneath the clasp) before they started peeling off by themselves from normal wear!

Enjoy your new DSSD and post some pics for us!
How is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 04:11 AM   #19
RolexguyinSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
My G series was purchased late 2011, so I suppose the V series ended around then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by How View Post
Congratulations! I know the feeling.

The best way to tell how late a model is by the serial number I guess... if it's a V serial then this will not be a 2012. G Serials are 2012 (correct me if I am wrong, anyone!)

And the plastics... it should be presented to you with all factory plastics at the AD. If not, then ask them why the plastics have been peeled off. I would demand one with full plastics still on and won't accept otherwise.

And when they size the bracelet, they might peel them off for you. I told my AD when I bought my DSSD, to leave the plastics on and they did just that. I kept them all on for at least 1 month (even the red tab underneath the clasp) before they started peeling off by themselves from normal wear!

Enjoy your new DSSD and post some pics for us!
RolexguyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 01:28 AM   #20
Htab
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: To many
Deep sea is a beautiful piece. Enjoy
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 02:49 AM   #21
snowpea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Congrats, great choice!!!
Old 24 June 2012, 03:05 AM   #22
DMac225

Watch: DSSD
Great watch! Enjoy and post pics!
DMac225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 03:28 AM   #23
Richj

Watch: Out Beadles About
I personally like having the plastics still on the watch and would expect them still to be on a model that has been on display. I'd ask for an extra yrs warranty and a free service too; if they think you will buy from them again then they will want you to be happy... Throw in a few other ADs that you've heard offer similar (like Mappin Webb in Manchester) But most importantly, enjoy the experience and post some pics!
Richj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 03:31 AM   #24
Richj

Watch: Out Beadles About
Did you pick it up today?!
Richj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 05:13 AM   #25
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
I know it's fashionable to say the serial doesn't matter, and that it's not completely accurate either. That may be true, but the fact still is, if or when you try to sell it, you'll have an easier time and get a little more money for a G or random, than a V or M. Doesn't really matter why, it's just true. :)
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 05:16 AM   #26
Soultrayder

Congratulations........
Soultrayder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 05:18 AM   #27
leetay

Good choice mate, I got mine a few months back from Watches of Switzerland in Manchester, its a beast! - Enjoy
leetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 05:34 AM   #28
smellychips
"TRF" Member

picked it up today!!! .. it's a G series for what its worth, .. i'm chuffed to bits with it, .. its an absolute beast of a watch
love the size on my arm
love the bracelet ..
the domed glass is unique
the bezel has such a fine colour to it, .. bluey/black
dont want to take it off to be honest ...

to those who worry about the thickness of the watch .. it makes the watch look fantastic
Old 24 June 2012, 05:39 AM   #29
sid8
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 2 & Explorer 2
Take off all the stickers and enjoy!

I pick up my new explorer 2 42mm black face next Friday.
The stickers will be off and it will be on my wrist before I leave the AD.
No doubt it will have scratches within a week, I have bought this for work and fully intend to get my money's worth out of it. Not interested in resale value as I have no intention of selling.

Hope you do the same enjoy what you have worked hard for

Sid

Last edited by sid8; 24 June 2012 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Additional comments
sid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 06:49 AM   #30
smellychips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid8 View Post
Take off all the stickers and enjoy!

I pick up my new explorer 2 42mm black face next Friday.
The stickers will be off and it will be on my wrist before I leave the AD.
No doubt it will have scratches within a week, I have bought this for work and fully intend to get my money's worth out of it. Not interested in resale value as I have no intention of selling.

Hope you do the same enjoy what you have worked hard for

Sid
cheers Sid,
my thoughts through and through .... bought mine to wear and wear it i will, its my "mars bar watch" WORK..REST ..& PLAY

i dont buy mine to put in a case and wear once a month! ...