The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2012, 10:01 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
another amazing experience at Tourneau

walking through the GSP in jersey as i am thinking about buying simple watch to take with me to Mexico City.

i see an explorer II 40 polar and have to check it out. i have debated it since starting to appreciate more moderately sized watches. of course, it was in their pre-owned section.

now just to be clear, they state that these watches are thoroughly inspected and in pretty much new condition.

the links literally had so much space, i could read a book through it. i bring this to the attention of the sales guy and he looks at me like i am crazy. i have honestly never even seen a bracelet with some much space in between the links. never ever....

dude comes up with tons of excuses as to why it is the way it is. i stop him and look him directly in the eyes and ask "do you really think this watch is fit to be sold ($5,495)"? homedude evades the question over and over again.

i say "thank you very much for your time" and walk. continued reason that i will never ever purchase another watch at Tourneau.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 10:04 AM   #2
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Hey, they got big overhead there............

They prey on the weak and un-informed....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 02:21 AM   #3
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Yuuup
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Hey, they got big overhead there............

They prey on the weak and un-informed....
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 10:09 AM   #4
SJK
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing our borders
I had a similar experience at the Tourneau in Century City, CA.

Saw a red Sub in their pre-owned section.

It was on a nato strap and had a really bad re-lume job. It looked like someone just gobbed glue all over the dial. When I asked him about that he simply said "That is what you call patina".

The sales guy said it was made in 1960 "something". He couldn't even tell me the exact year.

I asked why it didn't have the original bracelet, and he stated that it was impossible to find one with an original bracelet. To that I replied "So you're saying that everyone who has ever owned a red Sub has taken off their bracelet and tossed it in the trash?"

So I finally popped the question, "So how much?"

$12,000
SJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 11:09 AM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

the bracelet literally looked like it was about to detach itself from the watch. i am still in shock.

Old 23 June 2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Wow!
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
I was at garden state plaza yesterday and saw that polar explorer.. Did you see the ap in the window with the sub outside?
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 12:02 PM   #8
ghotihead2001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breaking bad
not that i would ever buy from them but i have had some run ins with a couple personable sales people at a couple of the locations in NYC....jus' sayin'
Old 23 June 2012, 12:43 PM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotihead2001 View Post
not that i would ever buy from them but i have had some run ins with a couple personable sales people at a couple of the locations in NYC....jus' sayin'
i too have run into quite a few and i am almost sorry to say that i have spent way too much in that store.

i realize i was not completely clear, but my complaint was meant to be more about the store and less about the sales guy.

most of my experiences with individual sales people are typically pretty good..

Old 23 June 2012, 12:48 PM   #10
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Thats crazy. I guess they are entitled to ask what they wish but I feel sorry for the folks that go and make these purchases and are taken advantage of
Old 23 June 2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Did it look like this? :)

Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
That's really dumb.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 12:32 PM   #13
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
But why take it out on the salesperson? There's no reason to take their inexperience as a personal attack on you. Just like any/everywhere...there are salespersons that are trying to learn and do their best. It's not the end of the world.

Anytime I run into someone like that, I just let it slide and go somewhere else. I see no reason the challenge them. They don't own the store, or set the prices, etc. And there's probably a high turnover of inventory so not every salesperson knows everything about every watch.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 12:41 PM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsub44 View Post
But why take it out on the salesperson? There's no reason to take their inexperience as a personal attack on you. Just like any/everywhere...there are salespersons that are trying to learn and do their best. It's not the end of the world.

Anytime I run into someone like that, I just let it slide and go somewhere else. I see no reason the challenge them. They don't own the store, or set the prices, etc. And there's probably a high turnover of inventory so not every salesperson knows everything about every watch.

not sure how you got that i "took it out on the salesperson".....

i did in fact say, "thank you very much for your time".....and left

not sure what portrays that i "took it as a personal attack" either....(well maybe the part about him looking at me like i am crazy gave you that idea)

pretty much stating my dissatisfaction with the store and their policies. if it came off otherwise, it was not mean to be the case.

truth is tho, while i don't think i was in any way rude, i probably was not overly nice about it either....i do believe his justification of selling sub par watch was not appropriate.

anywho......

Old 24 June 2012, 12:54 AM   #15
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsub44 View Post

Their is a difference between trying to learn and giving the customer BS. I used to be in sales and later in life went into information technology after going back to school. There's nothing to be ashamed about when you don't know something. I think people appreciate when you say that and come up with the correct answer rather than giving them BS.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 02:51 PM   #16
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
It is owned by a hedge fund - they're all about making money.

They will soon realize as customers go elsewhere that they are not doing the right type of business.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 12:42 AM   #17
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Unfortunately it will probably be sold to an uneducated buyer.

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 12:46 AM   #18
bryanth

Watch: Rolex 14060M
I was just in Vegas and luckily hit up a conversation with the owner of the store. She was an extremely knowledgable sales person, discussed how I am a mechanical engineer and how I should seriously get into watchmaking on the design level. Even gave me multiple contacts to high-ups at Cartier as she knew I was a fan of them.
bryanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 12:48 AM   #19
Kbrantle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss and SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanth View Post
I was just in Vegas and luckily hit up a conversation with the owner of the store. She was an extremely knowledgable sales person, discussed how I am a mechanical engineer and how I should seriously get into watchmaking on the design level. Even gave me multiple contacts to high-ups at Cartier as she knew I was a fan of them.
There are always exceptions to the rule. Glad you had a good experience.
Kbrantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 12:55 AM   #20
xhype
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II 16710
they were selling a coke like mines in nyc and it was for 6,500 ???????? yea really
xhype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 01:51 AM   #21
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

dude comes up with tons of excuses as to why it is the way it is. i stop him and look him directly in the eyes and ask "do you really think this watch is fit to be sold ($5,495)"? homedude evades the question over and over again.

i say "thank you very much for your time" and walk. continued reason that i will never ever purchase another watch at Tourneau.
Not sure I really understand the point of all this. Were you trying to get an admission from him that it wasn't worth the asking price? Even if you did get such a reply, so what? He won't and can't change the price for you; he didn't set it and is just an employee who is there to sell stuff.
kkwn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 03:41 AM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwn98 View Post
Not sure I really understand the point of all this. Were you trying to get an admission from him that it wasn't worth the asking price? Even if you did get such a reply, so what? He won't and can't change the price for you; he didn't set it and is just an employee who is there to sell stuff.
See, it appears clear to me. Being in sales myself, I would not sell something I don't believe in. For a good customer, I'd prefer to lose a sale on the one item, as it shows my customers that they can trust my word. His evasion of the question simply tells me that I can't trust a word he says because the sale is his priority. IMHO that is not a good sales strategy.

I'm all about a mutually beneficial relationship. A good item for a reasonable price and everyone is happy.

Being in sales is often times more about a relationship and less about a price.

And just so we are clear, I would not have purchased it, if it was half the price. It was a sub standard item from a shop that portrays themselves to sell top quality.

I hope that clears it up for you. As many people say "buy the seller first", and I was establishing exactly that. Which is why I won't frequent their store again and why I posted it here.

While "just" a sales guy, he was trained by management. This is how they train their staff.

To me, honor above all, as I would never ever want to take advantage of anyone.

Old 24 June 2012, 03:56 AM   #23
ncstate1201
"TRF" Member

I personally don't believe that just because Tourneau buys a watch and puts the watch in their preowned section that it means it is actually legit. A couple years ago I was in the one in the DC area and saw a pretty obviously fake Tudor Ranger
ncstate1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 04:19 AM   #24
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See, it appears clear to me. Being in sales myself, I would not sell something I don't believe in. For a good customer, I'd prefer to lose a sale on the one item, as it shows my customers that they can trust my word. His evasion of the question simply tells me that I can't trust a word he says because the sale is his priority. IMHO that is not a good sales strategy.

I'm all about a mutually beneficial relationship. A good item for a reasonable price and everyone is happy.

Being in sales is often times more about a relationship and less about a price.
So, as a paid employee employed by Tourneau, he should pick and choose which item he should sell, notwithstanding his mandate is to sell anything that is there for sale?

Quote:
And just so we are clear, I would not have purchased it, if it was half the price. It was a sub standard item from a shop that portrays themselves to sell top quality.

I hope that clears it up for you. As many people say "buy the seller first", and I was establishing exactly that. Which is why I won't frequent their store again and why I posted it here.

While "just" a sales guy, he was trained by management. This is how they train their staff.

To me, honor above all, as I would never ever want to take advantage of anyone.
So why waste time talking about something you never intended to buy?
Old 24 June 2012, 04:48 AM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwn98 View Post
So, as a paid employee employed by Tourneau, he should pick and choose which item he should sell, notwithstanding his mandate is to sell anything that is there for sale?

So why waste time talking about something you never intended to buy?

it appears this will be a redundant conversation, but i will try to answer the best i can:

1. yes, i do believe as an individual sales person, regardless if he works for someone else with a mandate to sell, he should be honest with his customers and at a minimum answer questions honestly instead of providing answers that are pure fluff. it would greatly help me to be able to purchase something else from him as it establishes trust. i sell a lot of things and i would absolutely tell one of my customers not to buy something if it appeared to be off, as was the case with this watch.

again, sales is often about relationships. and even if i did not buy anything from him that day, if he were honest with me, it would make me want to work with him in the future. i talk to people daily and do not always sell, but a good honest conversation typically leads to sales in the future.

2. i looked at half a dozen different watches before seeing this one in what they call the certified pre-owned case. i had every intention of potentially buying it when i asked to see it. based on your question, is appears you think i should have just put it down instead of asking him questions. i was not even sure he was aware of the issue when i asked if he saw what i saw. and when it was clear that he did see it i was surprised by his answers. it did not appear to be a "waste of time" as i like ask questions before i make a purchase.

really seems pretty simple to me. not sure where all of your challenges are coming from. it honestly appears as though you are saying he should have lied and told me all was OK with that watch, just to make the sale, when clearly, the watch is in sub-par condition.

but different strokes for different folks. it appeared wrong to me, and i posted about my experience.

Old 24 June 2012, 07:02 PM   #26
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it appears this will be a redundant conversation, but i will try to answer the best i can:

1. yes, i do believe as an individual sales person, regardless if he works for someone else with a mandate to sell, he should be honest with his customers and at a minimum answer questions honestly instead of providing answers that are pure fluff. it would greatly help me to be able to purchase something else from him as it establishes trust. i sell a lot of things and i would absolutely tell one of my customers not to buy something if it appeared to be off, as was the case with this watch.
Fair enough. But if I were an employed sales assistant and I had a watch to sell (which worked fine but was not in great condition), I would still sell it, on an "as seen" basis. That's the point I'm making. But I agree with you in that I wouldn't try to make up reasons as to why it's actually meant to be in that condition. I wouldn't give someone any B.S. about it.

Quote:

2. i looked at half a dozen different watches before seeing this one in what they call the certified pre-owned case. i had every intention of potentially buying it when i asked to see it. based on your question, is appears you think i should have just put it down instead of asking him questions. i was not even sure he was aware of the issue when i asked if he saw what i saw. and when it was clear that he did see it i was surprised by his answers. it did not appear to be a "waste of time" as i like ask questions before i make a purchase.
Actually, yes. Once you see the poor condition and the high price, you know you're not going to buy. Getting an answer or explanation won't really change that.

Quote:
really seems pretty simple to me. not sure where all of your challenges are coming from. it honestly appears as though you are saying he should have lied and told me all was OK with that watch, just to make the sale, when clearly, the watch is in sub-par condition.
Not at all. Just saying an employee doesn't really get to pick and choose what his employer tells him to sell. I agree he shouldn't lie or make stuff up though.
Old 24 June 2012, 02:30 AM   #27
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
sad.....just so sad. i wish that Tourneau had better sales staff
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote