The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 May 2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few :)
Incoming 15500 Blue

I got a semi unexpected (yet pleasant) surprise last week (was expecting it next fall).

It has posed a bit of a dilemma- I am quite torn as I have a similar watch in the 15400. In the past, I’d have multiple iterations of watches no matter how similar they were, but as I age I see the beauty of less options. I have listed both the 15400 and the 15500 for sale and resolved to keep whichever doesn’t sell first. This rather brute method of letting the market make my decision has stemmed from the inability to decide.

The 15400 black is a discontinued, modern classic. The 15500 blue is a very special, rare watch that while still in production, is highly limited.

The more I stare at the 15500, the more I desire to keep it. I initially didn’t love the removal of the word automatic as well as the thicker hour markers, but in person it is hardly noticeable.

Any thoughts?

A large reason I don’t want to sell it is because of how hard it would be to replace.

Hoping I make the right call, this might not be an easily reversible decision. In the meantime, here are some photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hauxrologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 03:44 PM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d keep the 15500 myself. As an added bonus you might avoid getting blacklisted by the boutique if that matters. To some it doesn’t and that fine by me.
Old 3 May 2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’d keep the 15500 myself. As an added bonus you might avoid getting blacklisted by the boutique if that matters. To some it doesn’t and that fine by me.

I’m leaning that way the longer I look at it, that’s for sure. As far as getting blacklisted; my family and I have done so much business with them recently that I don’t see that happening, but anything is possible. It’s the undesirable pieces my family bought that allowed for taking delivery of this guy.

What do you like about the 15500 over the 15400? Or is it the dial pushing it over the edge

Old 3 May 2019, 06:00 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoleMan View Post
I’m leaning that way the longer I look at it, that’s for sure. As far as getting blacklisted; my family and I have done so much business with them recently that I don’t see that happening, but anything is possible. It’s the undesirable pieces my family bought that allowed for taking delivery of this guy.

What do you like about the 15500 over the 15400? Or is it the dial pushing it over the edge

I have a lot of answers as to why I prefer the 15500 over the 15400 but to keep it all the way clear I generally like new stuff when it comes to AP anyways.
Old 25 June 2019, 05:01 AM   #5
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

Very good point.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 03:46 PM   #6
calh22a
Banned

I’d keep the blue 15500. Nice pics!
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 03:50 PM   #7
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
I’d keep the blue 15500. Nice pics!

Iphone 7Plus, baby! Thanks Cal. Part of me knew making this thread would result in everyone telling me to keep the blue, which would then result in me likely pulling the ad! Tough choice but fortunate to be in the position.

Old 3 May 2019, 05:01 PM   #8
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
100% the blue. it is blue and it is new! 2 thrills for he price of one. congratulations on your good fortune :-)
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 05:18 PM   #9
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Keep the 15500...this blue dial is just special!
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 06:02 PM   #10
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Congrats! Very Nice. Love the 15500 blue. IMO the nicest of the new releases
Old 3 May 2019, 06:55 PM   #11
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Nice watch and congrats. It's a real nice watch, I can get past a few things but I'm just not there with the seconds hand, don't like it at all compared to the 15400. Take comfort in knowing there is no bad decision here.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 07:16 PM   #12
walds11
"TRF" Member

I’m a sucker for blue dials, but not a fan of the 15500 updates. The 15400 black dial is meh. Sorry, I couldn’t help. Flip a coin? But I guess you are sort of flipping a coin by putting both up for sale and keeping whichever doesn’t sell first.
Old 3 May 2019, 08:53 PM   #13
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I’m a sucker for blue dials, but not a fan of the 15500 updates. The 15400 black dial is meh. Sorry, I couldn’t help. Flip a coin? But I guess you are sort of flipping a coin by putting both up for sale and keeping whichever doesn’t sell first.
Yes, this is weird way of deciding what watch you will wear, by letting strangers decide for you with their cash. I would make the decision myself.

We complain that Rolex ADs are tight with their SS now, but look at AP releasing the 15500 quite loosely and many of them going straight on the grey market, and AP don't mind this now as they want to get in on the Rolex and PP hype. They will tighten up later, as did Rolex.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 09:11 PM   #14
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Personally I'd have thought the blue 15500 would stand out a mile, its a beautiful piece and I think the loss of AUTOMATIC an advantage to the design.

It's none of my business, but I think its not ideal to take the watch, which must have a list, and then look at immediately selling it on. And your 15400 seems to also be unworn still with plastic too...
Totally agree ok your first point. Huge deal breaker for me.

Agree on your second point as well, but read the OP’s post #4. Apparently he doesn't see himself getting blacklisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, this is weird way of deciding what watch you will wear, by letting strangers decide for you with their cash. I would make the decision myself.

We complain that Rolex ADs are tight with their SS now, but look at AP releasing the 15500 quite loosely and many of them going straight on the grey market, and AP don't mind this now as they want to get in on the Rolex and PP hype. They will tighten up later, as did Rolex.
Very weird, but good on the OP, he is way in the money no matter which one sells

So true. AP is getting aboard the gravy train!
Old 3 May 2019, 08:48 PM   #15
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Personally I'd have thought the blue 15500 would stand out a mile, its a beautiful piece and I think the loss of AUTOMATIC an advantage to the design.

It's none of my business, but I think its not ideal to take the watch, which must have a list, and then look at immediately selling it on. And your 15400 seems to also be unworn still with plastic too...
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 05:03 AM   #16
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

My thoughts too.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 09:48 PM   #17
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Congrats! She’s a keeper for sure!!

Old 3 May 2019, 10:06 PM   #18
Kjp061987
Banned

Watch: PAM512
Keep the 15500. Updates are meh to me, but the dial puts it ahead by a mile.

Kjp061987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 10:50 PM   #19
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Incoming 15500 Blue

Quote:
I have a lot of answers as to why I prefer the 15500 over the 15400 but to keep it all the way clear I generally like new stuff when it comes to AP anyways.

Thanks GB. New is exciting but so is discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Nice watch and congrats. It's a real nice watch, I can get past a few things but I'm just not there with the seconds hand, don't like it at all compared to the 15400. Take comfort in knowing there is no bad decision here.

Thank you, my Porsche. I’m a big porschephile also, latest acquisition being a 991.1. What about you?

Quote:

Do you think so? I noticed a new 15500 incoming thread seems to pop up way more frequently than I would have imagined. Watches also seem to be arriving much sooner than their promise dates. When do you think they’ll tighten up and why?

If I wanted to really flip/profit, I wouldn’t have listed it as the cheapest one anywhere on the net. It’s $4-7,000 cheaper than anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
100% the blue. it is blue and it is new! 2 thrills for he price of one. congratulations on your good fortune :-)

Thank you Mr Gray! It’s true, I have never been this “thrilled” about a watch because it is blue! The other changes weren’t as welcome, but as you said, it is all new and that is exciting.

Quote:

I’ll preface this by saying, the amount of watches I, (and my family members through my direction), have purchased at full retail and never sold makes me feel completely in my rights to sell on a watch I cannot make my mind up on. I’m talking about the pieces that sell for large discounts on the second hand market. We have made it a point to create a relationship with our boutique and AD, and so far have not purchased any AP, Patek or RM from the secondary market. I have supported them enough and will continue to do so. I feel no guilt here. I’ve also listed it at the cheapest price available anywhere. There are some black and gray disks listed at the same price; and the lowest 15500 blue dial online is still $4,000-7,000 more expensive than mine.

I really shouldn’t keep both. I had initially planned on it but they’re so similar I don’t see a time where one watch would be appropriate for a particular setting and the other wouldn’t. I will say from photos, I thought the 15400 to be miles more elegant when compared to the sportier 15500, but seeing them both in person squashed that sentiment. They really are more similar than different.

Quote:
Totally agree ok your first point. Huge deal breaker for me.

Agree on your second point as well, but read the OP’s post #4. Apparently he doesn't see himself getting blacklisted

Very weird, but good on the OP, he is way in the money no matter which one sells

So true. AP is getting aboard the gravy train!

Anything is possible, but I think my saleswoman and her manager would understand. We are not flippers, that is known by them. If we were, we wouldn’t be buying pieces from them at retail that sell for a massive discount on the second hand market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjp061987 View Post
Keep the 15500. Updates are meh to me, but the dial puts it ahead by a mile.

Thanks KJP. The larger movement is a huge plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Congrats! She’s a keeper for sure!!

Appreciate the kind words JRS!

Quote:

Lol, yes that is a pretty arbitrary way to choose, but at this point it’s easier than making the labored decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Congrats! Very Nice. Love the 15500 blue. IMO the nicest of the new releases

Ben, I was wondering if you’d chime in. Thank you, it is gorgeous and that’s what’s making it even tougher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soly20 View Post
Keep the 15500...this blue dial is just special!

It is in so many ways, especially in sunlight!

Old 4 May 2019, 01:29 AM   #20
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:

I’ll preface this by saying, the amount of watches I, (and my family members through my direction), have purchased at full retail and never sold makes me feel completely in my rights to sell on a watch I cannot make my mind up on. I’m talking about the pieces that sell for large discounts on the second hand market. We have made it a point to create a relationship with our boutique and AD, and so far have not purchased any AP, Patek or RM from the secondary market. I have supported them enough and will continue to do so. I feel no guilt here. I’ve also listed it at the cheapest price available anywhere. There are some black and gray disks listed at the same price; and the lowest 15500 blue dial online is still $4,000-7,000 more expensive than mine.

Its your prerogative, of course, but my point is by taking it even though it seems like you didn't really want it, you deprived the next person on the list.

I do agree that the two watches are similar, so you may not want to keep both. That said, the 15400 also still has its plastic on so doesn't really look like you bought that to wear either.

When I obtained my APs they automatically took off the plastic so it could be sized for me to wear. I had no issue with this as all the watches I bought I did so with the intention of keeping and wearing. A while ago I was offered a 15202, but I declined it as I didn't want it, and it wouldn't feel right to take it just to sell on for a profit.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:45 AM   #21
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Its your prerogative, of course, but my point is by taking it even though it seems like you didn't really want it, you deprived the next person on the list.

I do agree that the two watches are similar, so you may not want to keep both. That said, the 15400 also still has its plastic on so doesn't really look like you bought that to wear either.

When I obtained my APs they automatically took off the plastic so it could be sized for me to wear. I had no issue with this as all the watches I bought I did so with the intention of keeping and wearing. A while ago I was offered a 15202, but I declined it as I didn't want it, and it wouldn't feel right to take it just to sell on for a profit.
All your assumptions will lead you astray. The reality is that I like to purchase a watch to commemorate a special occasion, not just to purchase a watch. This way it has far more meaning than just being an expensive piece of jewelry. The only problem is, the current watch market doesn't allow me to stroll into my boutique or AD when I have a deal or ceremonious occasion to celebrate.

On the contrary, I receive a call and am made to make the decision on the spot. Once I purchase it, if I have nothing at the time to mark the occasion, I keep them boxed up until I have a reason to justify that purchase. I'll then unwrap, get it sized, and celebrate over dinner. Call it weird, odd, whatever- I don't care.

Each has his own outlook, but I realize how incredibly fortunate I am to purchase these watches on a whim, and because of that I never want them to lose the meaning these purchases can/should have. This is my way of cementing that never changes. I just did the same thing with a recently acquired Rolex. And it makes it SO much more enjoyable to wear for me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 5 May 2019, 12:29 AM   #22
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
All your assumptions will lead you astray. The reality is that I like to purchase a watch to commemorate a special occasion, not just to purchase a watch. This way it has far more meaning than just being an expensive piece of jewelry. The only problem is, the current watch market doesn't allow me to stroll into my boutique or AD when I have a deal or ceremonious occasion to celebrate.

On the contrary, I receive a call and am made to make the decision on the spot. Once I purchase it, if I have nothing at the time to mark the occasion, I keep them boxed up until I have a reason to justify that purchase. I'll then unwrap, get it sized, and celebrate over dinner. Call it weird, odd, whatever- I don't care.

Each has his own outlook, but I realize how incredibly fortunate I am to purchase these watches on a whim, and because of that I never want them to lose the meaning these purchases can/should have. This is my way of cementing that never changes. I just did the same thing with a recently acquired Rolex. And it makes it SO much more enjoyable to wear for me. Your mileage may vary.
Time to put the waders on, its getting deep in here.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 02:00 AM   #23
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:

X2 on all counts. Perfect anecdote for why the market is the way it is.
SMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:37 AM   #24
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I didn't say you were a flipper just indecisive. There does seem to be a steady release of the 15500s and while they are new they will be marked up with greys, but eventually AP will need to tighten supply or the price pressure will move downwards, the last thing they want.

I'd keep the blue.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:48 AM   #25
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I didn't say you were a flipper just indecisive. There does seem to be a steady release of the 15500s and while they are new they will be marked up with greys, but eventually AP will need to tighten supply or the price pressure will move downwards, the last thing they want.

I'd keep the blue.

That’s fair. I’ll take that. It’s a tough choice for me, some certainly may find it easier than I am

Old 4 May 2019, 03:09 AM   #26
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I’d keep the 15500 blue
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 03:55 AM   #27
Xerxes77
Banned

I order one!!
I think it’s better to keep it!!
Congratulations!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 05:39 AM   #28
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
It's your watch and you can do whatever you please with it. However, if you sell it, it is likely AP won't sell you another watch if they find out (so I've been told by a good source).

Either way, I prefer the 15400 but not in black so in this case, if it'd be up to me, I'd keep the 15500 .. or both.

Keeping plastics though? That does not give you much credibility (Again, it is your watch and you can of course do whatever the heck you please regardless of what a bunch of strangers on the internet say ... but you are posting so opinions are warranted).
Old 4 May 2019, 12:29 PM   #29
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

definitely keep the 1550. a royal oak needs a blue dial IMO.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 01:33 PM   #30
nick c
Banned

Congrats
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote