The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 June 2011, 12:22 AM   #1
taylorgrad
"TRF" Member

My Rolex Sucks

I am so disappointed in Rolex. My husband gave me a Datajust with diamonds 5 years ago. It has been back to the company for repair 4 times in 5 years!!! Each time it's gone about 3 months. It has been off my arm more than it has been on! It has never kept good time! It starts off losing time, and then it's almost like something "springs" and then the second hand starts sweeping around and it starts running hours fast. This is a $10,000 watch! I have timex watches that keep better time! My husband has a Rolex also that is just fine. Rolex fixed it free the first time, than charged me $250 the next time, and then $500!! then next time! Supposedly they restored it to "good as new" condition. They said it was my fault, that it had sustained "a blow" of some kind. I'm an accountant not a construction worker. The watch did not sustain a "blow". Now the watch is back in the shop, 6 months after I just got it back. You would think Rolex would be embarrassed! You would think in the name of good customer service they would replace the watch. Nope. I'm supposed to be grateful that they are fixing it free this time!! Wow Rolex! Just accept that it is possible for you to make a "lemon". Customer service goes a long way towards salvaging a customer relationship. So now I am left with the option of spreading the word through social media of how poor Rolex customer service is. I like my watch when I have it. I would have purchased another one, had they replaced it and shown me some consideration. Now, I am telling anyone who will listen how poor their service is, and how disappointing their product is. I wonder how long this next repair will last? Three months?
Old 25 June 2011, 12:45 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Sorry to hear about your issues..

However, if your only intention is to "spread the word" of how bad Rolex is, you may have come to the wrong place..

Your story is only one out of hundreds of positive experiences.. My wife wears her Rolex 24/7 and has never had a single problem such as you describe..

If you truly do have the problems as you describe, you need to look at your work environment or where you store your watch when not worn...
Old 25 June 2011, 01:24 AM   #3
learpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMTII ,SUB c,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tools View Post
sorry to hear about your issues..

However, if your only intention is to "spread the word" of how bad rolex is, you may have come to the wrong place..

Your story is only one out of hundreds of positive experiences.. My wife wears her rolex 24/7 and has never had a single problem such as you describe..

If you truly do have the problems as you describe, you need to look at your work environment or where you store your watch when not worn...

+1
Old 25 June 2011, 12:54 AM   #4
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about the issues with your watch.
It could be environment; it could be Rolex did a quick patch repair and not the correct repair.
Please provide what they did at each repair to provide a more subjective view. Also, where was the watch repaired?
Old 25 June 2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Sorry to read this.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Old 25 June 2011, 01:00 AM   #6
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. Sounds to me like some of your symptoms could be magnetization. You might see if there are any sources in your environment that could be causing this. As far as Rolex's customer service...I believe your experience is a-typical. Most people seem to be very satisfied with the level of customer service they receive from Rolex.
Old 25 June 2011, 01:01 AM   #7
Jim232118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster II YG
I think it's sad when people feel the need to blast companies just because everything is not exactly the way they want it. These people end up going through life so unhappy all the time because they just want to complain about everything, blam everyone for their problems, and never look in the mirror to evaluate ther behavior or actions. It's sad really.
My Rolex watches (4) have all been fine. Is that to say they have been perfect with no problems? No, but I sent the watches to Rolex when I did have problems and they were taken care of for free, within the 2 year warranty period, even though one time it was my fault.
I have not found anything in life that works perfectly all the time. I guess I have low standards? Perhaps I just realize that complaining over trivial issues is pointless and at the end of the day, it really shows what kind of person you are when your intent is to bash someone and cause harm just because your experience has not been perfect.
Old 25 June 2011, 01:07 AM   #8
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim232118 View Post
I think it's sad when people feel the need to blast companies just because everything is not exactly the way they want it. These people end up going through life so unhappy all the time because they just want to complain about everything, blam everyone for their problems, and never look in the mirror to evaluate ther behavior or actions. It's sad really.
My Rolex watches (4) have all been fine. Is that to say they have been perfect with no problems? No, but I sent the watches to Rolex when I did have problems and they were taken care of for free, within the 2 year warranty period, even though one time it was my fault.
I have not found anything in life that works perfectly all the time. I guess I have low standards? Perhaps I just realize that complaining over trivial issues is pointless and at the end of the day, it really shows what kind of person you are when your intent is to bash someone and cause harm just because your experience has not been perfect.
WTF??!!

This woman probably is posting on the wrong website as most on here are Rolex enthusiasts and feel compelled to correct anyone with a bad word about Rolex, but come on, you don't know her to make judgement like that?!! You have just jumped to so many conclusions in that one response you've made it's actually shameful to you!

Read in between the lines, she wants to rant as she's had a s**t experience, someone's got to, because it's going to happen someone somehere down the line. It's a mechanical thing, like a car, thousands have a great experience whilst some, perhaps a minority won't!

Let her say what she wants to say in my opinion. Don't worry, Rolex won't cry.
Old 25 June 2011, 01:37 AM   #9
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
WTF??!!

This woman probably is posting on the wrong website as most on here are Rolex enthusiasts and feel compelled to correct anyone with a bad word about Rolex, but come on, you don't know her to make judgement like that?!! You have just jumped to so many conclusions in that one response you've made it's actually shameful to you!

Read in between the lines, she wants to rant as she's had a s**t experience, someone's got to, because it's going to happen someone somehere down the line. It's a mechanical thing, like a car, thousands have a great experience whilst some, perhaps a minority won't!

WELL SAID..how can you start talking about her life? You dont know her STOP.. She has a bad watch..plain and simple. She wants to vent, good for here.. maybe she is hoping that someone can assist her in finding a AD repair shop other then where she takes hers..I think you should look into your life if you are so damn quick to pass judgment...good lord..

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
Old 25 June 2011, 03:15 AM   #10
globalmedia33
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
WTF??!!

Damn. This is really nasty.
“I THINK PERFECTION IS UGLY. SOMEWHERE IN THE THINGS HUMANS MAKE, I WANT TO SEE SCARS, FAILURE, DISORDER AND DISTORTION" - YOHJI YAMAMOTO
Old 25 June 2011, 04:33 AM   #11
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalmedia33 View Post
Damn. This is really nasty.
How? Think you've quoted the wrong post...
Old 25 June 2011, 04:46 AM   #12
globalmedia33
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
How? Think you've quoted the wrong post...
Oops. I did. Sorry.
“I THINK PERFECTION IS UGLY. SOMEWHERE IN THE THINGS HUMANS MAKE, I WANT TO SEE SCARS, FAILURE, DISORDER AND DISTORTION" - YOHJI YAMAMOTO
Old 25 June 2011, 01:11 AM   #13
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I second the post that said check where you store your watch. a buddy had similar problems with his Omega (4 trips in 4 years), got tired of the 3 month waits from the service center and went to a local watchmaker who asked him where he kept it. Turns out he kept it on his nightstand next to a streo speaker. The speaker magnet was slowly magnetizing the watch but Omega never did tell him that. Moved the speaker and no more service calls.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 25 June 2011, 01:23 AM   #14
ktmd

Quote:
This comment is uncalled for, and an apology to the OP is in order. Unless you are suggesting her account is fabricated, Taylorgrad has legitimate cause to be unhappy. Although this forum is for Rolex enthusiasts, all experiences wih Rolex, positive or negative, should be considered instructive.
Old 25 June 2011, 01:27 AM   #15
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmd View Post
This comment is uncalled for, and an apology to the OP is in order. Unless you are suggesting her account is fabricated, Taylorgrad has legitimate cause to be unhappy. Although this forum is for Rolex enthusiasts, all experiences wih Rolex, positive or negative, are instructive in my opinion.
Ha ha... Something tells me there may not be an apology, and something else tells me that the OP won't have any desire to post pictures.

I think the sole purpose of the exercise was to VENT, and thats ok in my books, as long as you don't affect other individuals.

I could be wrong though about my predictions though...

I cant wait for the OP to come back and check this thread out!!!!!!! Wanna see what happens next!!!!
Old 25 June 2011, 01:40 AM   #16
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
To the O.P. Have you written (regular mail, not e-mail) to Rolex USA & Rolex Geneva?
If you have all your documentation, send copies, express your concern re:quality/repair,
etc.
Old 25 June 2011, 01:53 AM   #17
ptugolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
To the O.P. Have you written (regular mail, not e-mail) to Rolex USA & Rolex Geneva?
If you have all your documentation, send copies, express your concern re:quality/repair,
etc.
+1
Old 25 June 2011, 07:03 AM   #18
wdalew5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,omega,casio
Quote:
I am perfect at everything. Just ask me, Ill tell ya........
Old 25 June 2011, 01:11 AM   #19
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
There's an old saying, "A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile". I think she found "the nut".
Old 25 June 2011, 02:51 AM   #20
Jolu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I/II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
There's an old saying, "A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile". I think she found "the nut".
I don't see how that saying has anything to do with this situation. If anything, it seems like a squirrel with perfect vision has been gifted a piece of crap in delicious nut camouflage.

“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks”
- Daniel Boone -
Old 25 June 2011, 02:54 AM   #21
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolu View Post
I don't see how that saying has anything to do with this situation. If anything, it seems like a squirrel with perfect vision has been gifted a piece of crap in delicious nut camouflage.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha...

Now THIS is funny!!

Old 25 June 2011, 03:45 AM   #22
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Wow - very sorry to hear of your troubles. I would hope that a call or letter sent to Rolex corporate would result in a positive response / resolution to your concerns.

That said... I have owned 6 Rolex watches since 1992 and have never had a quality issue. The older ones (ie my A & P serial number Exp II & GMT II) have had routine servicing at the 5-6 year intervals without any problems. Personally, I have always been impressed with the lasting quality and durability of my Rolex watches. A few of them have been worn pretty "rigorously" to say the least.

I'm not sure what to say when I read these kinds of posts. With all due respect it is a bit like the hysteria you hear periodically over the new ceramic bezels or updated clasps. Haven't had any issues with those either
Old 25 June 2011, 09:06 AM   #23
zeppe19avr

Watch: Sea-dweller Z ser.
Sounds to me that the service centre she is dealing with is at fault . Contact Rolex headquarters in Geneve, they`ll take care of it. I have written to them in the past and got a reply within one week and hand signed by the company president, and I`m just an ordinary guy, not a celebrity
Old 25 June 2011, 01:11 AM   #24
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
check this out:

here is a fascinating account of todays effects of spreading the word of bad customer service,

you won't believe it!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/bu...pagewanted=all
Old 25 June 2011, 11:11 PM   #25
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
check this out:

here is a fascinating account of todays effects of spreading the word of bad customer service,

you won't believe it!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/bu...pagewanted=all

Great article. Thanks for posting it.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
Old 25 June 2011, 01:12 AM   #26
guy369
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I agree with R.G.

She has valid reasons to blast Rolex.
yes, Rolex usually delivers on all their products but I'm sure they've dropped the ball a couple times - this is one case.

I really hope the watch gets returned in perfect condition.
Old 25 June 2011, 01:15 AM   #27
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I'm taking this story with a pinch of salt.

Rolex warrants it's service/repair for 12 months and now 24 months.

Unless the watch had a dent it is doubtful that Rolex palmed you off with a "your fault" reason for additional charges.
Old 25 June 2011, 01:17 AM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgrad View Post
I am so disappointed in Rolex. My husband gave me a Datajust with diamonds 5 years ago. It has been back to the company for repair 4 times in 5 years!!! Each time it's gone about 3 months. It has been off my arm more than it has been on! It has never kept good time! It starts off losing time, and then it's almost like something "springs" and then the second hand starts sweeping around and it starts running hours fast. This is a $10,000 watch! I have timex watches that keep better time! My husband has a Rolex also that is just fine. Rolex fixed it free the first time, than charged me $250 the next time, and then $500!! then next time! Supposedly they restored it to "good as new" condition. They said it was my fault, that it had sustained "a blow" of some kind. I'm an accountant not a construction worker. The watch did not sustain a "blow". Now the watch is back in the shop, 6 months after I just got it back. You would think Rolex would be embarrassed! You would think in the name of good customer service they would replace the watch. Nope. I'm supposed to be grateful that they are fixing it free this time!! Wow Rolex! Just accept that it is possible for you to make a "lemon". Customer service goes a long way towards salvaging a customer relationship. So now I am left with the option of spreading the word through social media of how poor Rolex customer service is. I like my watch when I have it. I would have purchased another one, had they replaced it and shown me some consideration. Now, I am telling anyone who will listen how poor their service is, and how disappointing their product is. I wonder how long this next repair will last? Three months?

Sorry to hear about your Rolex problems but a Rolex watch is a machine and machines sometimes go wrong.But after wearing Rolex and Tudor watches by myself and the wife over the past 30 odd years I have never experience any problems whatsoever except for very simple regulation.Could you please post a picture of your watch so we can see the exact model.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 25 June 2011, 01:17 AM   #29
Lol-x
Facilitator

Well 4 years is very young in the life of a Rolex.
As you are getting it fixed this time (and I'm not exactly what the problem is and how it occurred) without charge, that is in itself evidence of the acceptance of corporate responsibility and customer goodwill.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 25 June 2011, 01:18 AM   #30
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear. Can you post a picture of your datejust anyways?
Closed Thread