The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 October 2023, 04:31 AM   #1
Josunese1975
"TRF" Member

Why can't people have a civil discussion about 32xx movment?

Just like the title says.... why can't people be civil regarding this issue? I was on the other forum and people are insulting and demeaning. I've owned only two 32xx movement watches and both were very accurate. That doesn't mean others with problems are pretending or faking the issues they are having. For the life of me I don't understand why this has to get nasty. Many are taking this way too personal. No need to be insulting or demeaning or berating someone just because they are having a different experience with this movement.
Old 14 October 2023, 04:37 AM   #2
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Some people forget that life is not all about watches and movements i think. I was also suprised at some forums. My watch did have ‘the problem’ but i still love it. I let it be fixed under warranty and still love to wear it. :p
Old 14 October 2023, 04:39 AM   #3
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

don't know what the big deal is....just get it fixed
Old 14 October 2023, 09:45 AM   #4
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Yeah, kind of this. I have 2 12 series watches and both run to spec - at least so far. and I'm not worrying about it.
Old 16 October 2023, 06:03 AM   #5
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post

I had mine fixed in April or May. Hardly worn it since and now is back to minus 3 spd already and I fear likely to get worse.

3135 in sub date has been at minus two consistently for 2-3 years.

3235 is all over the shop in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 October 2023, 04:51 AM   #6
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josunese1975 View Post
I was on the other forum and people are insulting and demeaning.
Since we prefer here the cosy debates, so we don't care about such forums where not passion for watches or the friendly conversation are the norm.
Old 14 October 2023, 05:40 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I hear you OP.

I think there are a lot of reasons why people get heated, but it doesn't really have much to do with topic itself.

There’s a lot of vitriol on both sides of the debate IMO.
Old 15 October 2023, 12:16 AM   #8
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I hear you OP.

There’s a lot of vitriol on both sides of the debate IMO.
Amen, brother. Not to mention, a LOT of vitriol in general these days...about anything.
Old 14 October 2023, 05:49 AM   #9
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

I wish people would stop bringing it up and making different threads about it. That would be a good start.
Old 14 October 2023, 07:54 AM   #10
Jonny8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
I wish people would stop bringing it up and making different threads about it. That would be a good start.
It’s good to discuss these things if people feel the need. Just avoid them if you don’t like it.
Old 14 October 2023, 08:12 AM   #11
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny8 View Post
It’s good to discuss these things if people feel the need. Just avoid them if you don’t like it.
I hear you, but why can’t we just stick to the other 20 threads we have going about it.

It’s it’s getting quite redundant, and seems very much like the only reason another thread pops up is to get people stirred up all over again.
Old 14 October 2023, 05:47 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
Have to agree on that one considering the millions of 32 movements in this world today most are quite happy with there watches.But what some then read on the net and internet forums turns little tiny molehills into huge mountain problems.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 14 October 2023, 10:21 PM   #13
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree on that one considering the millions of 32 movements in this world today most are quite happy with there watches.But what some then read on the net and internet forums turns little tiny molehills into huge mountain problems.
This!
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 14 October 2023, 06:13 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Humans have emotions... and passion.

Perhaps re-engineering humans is the solution... tho there will be knock-on effects one needs to consider.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 14 October 2023, 06:18 AM   #15
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
It's tough to think, thinking takes effort

that and it's tough when they realize that they are not, in fact, the center of the universe
Old 14 October 2023, 06:46 AM   #16
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

I am a watchmaker at an AD. I have personally serviced four 32xx movements under new-sale warranty this month alone. We've sent in many more in the past year to an RSC for the same issue. I found this forum specifically due to the amount of new watches we were seeing come back to us. The issue is very real.
Old 14 October 2023, 06:59 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
I am a watchmaker at an AD. I have personally serviced four 32xx movements under new-sale warranty this month alone. We've sent in many more in the past year to an RSC for the same issue. I found this forum specifically due to the amount of new watches we were seeing come back to us. The issue is very real.
Wow, that is a lot. What was the issue with them and is there a factory solution in the making.
Old 14 October 2023, 07:07 AM   #18
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Wow, that is a lot. What was the issue with them and is there a factory solution in the making.
There is one lubrication update that I'm aware of. There is also a wheel that I've replaced most of these services due to wear. I've been told by my field managers that "a service will fix it." Anything else I can think to say about it is all conjecture on my part.
Old 14 October 2023, 07:16 AM   #19
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I think people just want to think what they have is the best.

I have two 31xxs and like them, but if I want a new BLNR at MSRP, I will have to get the 32xx....no problem in my mind. I like to be the only one who has owned a watch...

Getting a new watch at MSRP is the problem.
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
Old 14 October 2023, 08:18 AM   #20
oak3x
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you for your insight... With your expertise...have you been able to deduct any patterns with watches that needed report. ie... specific years of production? How in your opinion are the newer calendar year models (ex 2022 or 2023)?

Thx in advance!
Old 14 October 2023, 09:25 PM   #21
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak3x View Post
Thank you for your insight... With your expertise...have you been able to deduct any patterns with watches that needed report. ie... specific years of production? How in your opinion are the newer calendar year models (ex 2022 or 2023)?
I wish I could provide a good answer here. I haven't noticed anything in regards to model year. It might be too early for new releases. I have visibility into when the piece's warranty expires, so that tells me when it was purchased. That doesn't tell me how long the piece was waiting to be purchased, nor when the movement was assembled, nor when the parts in that movement were manufactured. Any of those could potentially matter.

I've seen the rate & amplitude issues in "old" 32xx and ones from a few months ago. Maybe wearing patterns play a part? Again I wish I had a clear answer - I actually came to this forum to try and find one.
Old 14 October 2023, 10:08 PM   #22
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I believe it's the preset expectation of the accuracy set forth by Rolex in conjunction with the amount of effort and nonsense some have to deal with just to obtain a would be watch of your dreams/ status/ flex etc. Combined with the cost of the watch itself.
I can see that it would be a serious disappointment if you were one of the unlucky people that aquired one or 4 with "the issue " and had to part with it soon after receiving the beloved watch to have it resolved.

The problems posted could certainly cast a major blow in the over welming feeling that one had purchased the best watch ever created by man now has problem. Disbelief that this is even possible.

I can understand the anger, distrust and possibility they have been had. It's totally understandable IMO.

I myself base any decisions based on fact and personal experience, Not assumptions. That goes for any brand, price point or movement. I personally have moved on from this. But it is understandable and I get the ones who are unfortunate enough to have received one with a problem. I can feel there pain in their post. I believe most are just venting and will relax when everything is repaired and work as intended.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
Old 14 October 2023, 12:10 PM   #23
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Humans have emotions... and passion.

Perhaps re-engineering humans is the solution... tho there will be knock-on effects one needs to consider.
Also, Rolex is both expensive and and aspirational brand so people want them to be perfect. The 32XX movements also replaced the long lived and extremely accurate 31XX series so people want them to be that good.

Quote:
And just what IS the issue? I know they start to lose time but have never been clear on what's causing it.
Old 14 October 2023, 09:06 PM   #24
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
And just what IS the issue? I know they start to lose time but have never been clear on what's causing it.
I haven't gotten a clear answer on that from any Rolex employee I've asked. There is an updated lubrication point. The barrel complete is replaced every service. I've replaced a gear train wheel most of the 32xx services due to scoring on the pivot. So with that in mind, mainspring problem? Friction problem? Pivot hardness problem? Maybe none of these are the actual problem and a true fix has yet to be implemented.
Old 14 October 2023, 10:19 PM   #25
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you for that.

I have 2 watches with 32x movements that are running well and have been for years. Two of my 31x movement watches, both less than 3 years old, have been back to RSC after failures. So I suppose it's al relative.

My worry with the 32x watches is that when they are out of warranty and need servicing, the work may be more involved and more expensive because of the parts that need to be replaced as service items. But I'll cross that bridge at the appropriate time. No way have 32x fears or 31x personal experiences put me off my watches.
Old 14 October 2023, 10:52 PM   #26
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
My worry with the 32x watches is that when they are out of warranty and need servicing, the work may be more involved and more expensive because of the parts that need to be replaced as service items.
Repair shops outside the official network may have different service terms than an AD or RSC, but most components in the movement are replaced as necessary during a routine service without additional charges to the client. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that the movement parts we would charge for will require any intervention during service, assuming outside factors aren't at play.
Old 15 October 2023, 01:26 AM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Repair shops outside the official network may have different service terms than an AD or RSC, but most components in the movement are replaced as necessary during a routine service without additional charges to the client. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that the movement parts we would charge for will require any intervention during service, assuming outside factors aren't at play.
Good to know.
Old 17 October 2023, 10:33 AM   #28
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did someone (here in this thread) say it wasn't real ?
Old 17 October 2023, 11:56 PM   #29
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm a watchmaker too. Exactly what problems are you seeing? My personal 32xxs run beautifully.
Old 18 October 2023, 12:43 AM   #30
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchSmith View Post
Exactly what problems are you seeing?
When I get in 32xx movements under warranty, it's often because a client is experiencing their watch losing time. The watch is typically -10 s/d or greater, and the amplitude is quite low - around 215 or so.

Both of these problems are alleviated during a service, wherein the barrel is replaced, often a train wheel is replaced due to a scored pivot, and the up-to-date lubrication points are followed. I don't think enough time has passed yet to say the issues have been completely resolved - they may be only delayed.
Closed Thread