The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 6 April 2017, 04:31 AM   #1
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

I'd paid my deposit. I was really excited. I was number one on the list to receive one with ad

Then out of the blue the ad left a message saying to call re my ap

I was pretty chuffed. Called back immediately, just to get told ap have pulled the supply of 15202. Boutique only from now on! Ad can't supply and wanted to refund deposits

Few months later, got a call from ap direct. They'd heard I wanted to buy one, realise there is no boutique in UK and have said I can buy from their London office instead @ £19300.

When I originally placed my deposit they were £16600. Obviously price raised and probably got the "boutique" price hike as well

Got to say. I'm not impressed. Even though its "waiting for me to pick it up"... I'm thinking twice now

What would you think?
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 04:42 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would buy it. You know in the UK even after the 15% ish price rise foreigners can still buy this pretty cheaply with VAT and the Pound so these will still be hard to get esp now boutique only, so AP don't really need to do you this favour.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 04:42 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

... and AP london phone is ringing off the hook from those who now know its there and trying to get it if you don't. Seriously, come tomorrow morning they WILL have had calls about it.

Its always been a tough watch to get in a boutique or not and is very much in demand. Price rises were across the range and they have had 2 since brexit and the GBP tanking.

You probably would have paid that price from your AD as well as you just paid a deposit, not pre-"purchased" correct? As there is a big difference between the two.

Id buy it if it was me, its a great watch.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 06:22 AM   #4
green_dial
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202, LVc, DSOTM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
... and AP london phone is ringing off the hook from those who now know its there and trying to get it if you don't. Seriously, come tomorrow morning they WILL have had calls about it.
Agreed, you need to move as fast as possible. It's very hard to get here in the UK, as I know from experience.

The price rises are annoying - but just think, if you don't pick it up, you'll certainly regret it later down the line when you have to wait another couple of years for one, and pay another few thousand
green_dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 06:18 AM   #5
jem7v
Banned

I am trying to get one as well. My rep told me he got 4 last year and is only getting 1 this year. He is an AD. So AP is severely limiting the supply outside of boutiques, but not cutting it off completely.

Boutiques in NY getting them left and right.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 06:39 AM   #6
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Hard pass - don't fall for their tricks Busyboy. You're the consumer, you run the show.

Incidentally, could you provide the number and your contact information for the London office, please?
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 07:27 AM   #7
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

You have most likely swung me round again

I shouldn't be too miffed should I?

But - it wasn't a deposit I had down, it was a payment on an unfulfilled sale... So it will be £3k more in effect

I'm looking to your opinions and attitudes, even a more informed outlook on the GBP in our economy to help me justify my position...

They gave me time to think, so I'm glad I thought it over, and consulted you guys

Stay tuned for the incoming
Old 6 April 2017, 07:32 AM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Can't you guys just go to another country like France/Italy/US and order from a boutique?
Old 6 April 2017, 07:33 AM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

That's like 24000 usd. I think us retail is about 22,5 no?
Old 6 April 2017, 07:34 AM   #10
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb-man View Post
that's like 24000 usd. I think us retail is about 22,5 no?
really???
Old 6 April 2017, 09:03 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That's like 24000 usd. I think us retail is about 22,5 no?
AP have had 2 price rises here of 15% so maybe more expensive in UK now, but if he buys from any other country he loses 15-20% on the currency so doubt he comes out ahead, this is much easier.

Busyboy as we have no boutique and these are boutique only now AP have been rather good to you, I'd go for it, you've already had a foreign raider after your watch on here.
Old 6 April 2017, 01:56 PM   #12
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
AP have had 2 price rises here of 15% so maybe more expensive in UK now, but if he buys from any other country he loses 15-20% on the currency so doubt he comes out ahead, this is much easier.

Busyboy as we have no boutique and these are boutique only now AP have been rather good to you, I'd go for it, you've already had a foreign raider after your watch on here.
x2
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 02:07 PM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Why? The price quoted to him is equivalent to 24000 usd, or 1500 more than US retail. They can be had preowned in the US for 18-20k. I imagine buying in other euro counties would be more advantageous with VAT back no?

Hell im talking I've never flown to buy a watch

Anyone remember the guy who flew from British Columbia Canada to Germany only to buy a DSSD blue at the airport he regretted passing on while leaving Germany?

That guy was a WIS hero.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 02:19 PM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why? The price quoted to him is equivalent to 24000 usd, or 1500 more than US retail. They can be had preowned in the US for 18-20k. I imagine buying in other euro counties would be more advantageous with VAT back no?

Hell im talking I've never flown to buy a watch

Anyone remember the guy who flew from British Columbia Canada to Germany only to buy a DSSD blue at the airport he regretted passing on while leaving Germany?

That guy was a WIS hero.
that works out to LESS than U.S. retail in the above example. US retail does not include sales tax so add in another 8%. UK retail does include VAT. Thats not even including the VAT refund you would get at the airport. For example, for me as an American living in london and who also can't reclaim the VAT. The watch is still cheaper for me to buy in the UK than in the US. You would make out even better.
Old 6 April 2017, 02:26 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
that works out to LESS than U.S. retail in the above example. US retail does not include sales tax so add in another 8%. UK retail does include VAT. Thats not even including the VAT refund you would get at the airport. For example, for me as an American living in london and who also can't reclaim the VAT. The watch is still cheaper for me to buy in the UK than in the US. You would make out even better.
Please explain. I am sorry for wasting your time I'm just lost.

I can buy the 15202 here and have it shipped to my door for 22500. It will come from a US boutique with a 5 year warranty from AP. Being American you likely understand the shipping/Tax scenario.

Being a U.K. Resident I assume you aren't getting VAT back buying inside the U.K.? Also what're the odds of finding a jumbo at heathrow? Zero?
Old 6 April 2017, 07:43 AM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Hopefully someone else can confirm. It use to be. Maybe things have changed?
Old 6 April 2017, 07:49 AM   #17
Devlred
"TRF" Member

Watch: BP Fifty Fathoms
... i woild be very upset and definitely was going to make few phonecalls to boutiques all over europe to check about availability and about this price increase just to confirm that is true.

Tomorrow i expect to receive my blue 15400 from a boutique after couple of months waiting, i placed my order before prices go up and i was never asked to pay over on what we agreed on the first place.
Old 6 April 2017, 08:35 AM   #18
jem7v
Banned

US retail is 22.5k.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 10:58 AM   #19
sachit
"TRF" Member

Go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sachit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 03:25 PM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Well I've trampled this thread enough. Apologies to the OP and my friendly debating partner.

Any way you can get a jumbo on your wrist is worth it all things considered
Old 6 April 2017, 07:01 PM   #21
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I've trampled this thread enough. Apologies to the OP and my friendly debating partner.

Any way you can get a jumbo on your wrist is worth it all things considered
actually it was an interesting read. Thanks to u both. I've learned a lot

So often these comparison arent always apples to apples on here: now I get it
Old 6 April 2017, 10:57 PM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

It's been covered but as the OP is in the UK he gets no VAT refund buying from another EU country and has to declare the VAT from other countries. So best to buy in the UK now with the weak pound.
Old 6 April 2017, 11:08 PM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

on a related note OP. AP london isn't answering the phone today and its all straight to voicemail which happens sometimes but is a bit unusual. They are probably tired of everyone calling about your watch

I had to call about an unrelated issue so not trying to claim it.

Looking forward your incoming, and as I've said before its a great watch. At the end of the day the price rise is a small price to pay for years of enjoyment.
Old 7 April 2017, 02:05 AM   #24
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
on a related note OP. AP london isn't answering the phone today and its all straight to voicemail which happens sometimes but is a bit unusual. They are probably tired of everyone calling about your watch

I had to call about an unrelated issue so not trying to claim it.
Haha

Well I got through OK. Maybe you don't have the direct number

Seriously tho... They know my position, everything is in hand...
Old 7 April 2017, 01:23 AM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's been covered but as the OP is in the UK he gets no VAT refund buying from another EU country and has to declare the VAT from other countries. So best to buy in the UK now with the weak pound.
I didn't realize that Neil. I thought you guys left I should refrain from commenting on euro deals as I don't know my arse from a hole in the ground.
Old 7 April 2017, 03:32 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I didn't realize that Neil. I thought you guys left I should refrain from commenting on euro deals as I don't know my arse from a hole in the ground.
I wouldn't comment either if I could help it, mate As I wrote/ranted on the other thread between Brexit and the new releases I am finding myself doing a whole lot more maths than I would like or ever did at school.
Old 7 April 2017, 10:05 AM   #27
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Ok that does kinda suck, not sure what to tell you, except don't make a principle out of it, if you really wanted one get it, though I do understand that almost 3K£ more really is not cool, if you can't get one cheaper through some other channel well just get this one. You can of it this way, if it was a blue 5711 it would be almost impossible to get, and would cost you more
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote