The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2018, 02:45 AM   #1
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Is discounting Sports ss watches a thing of history??

Yesterday I was at my AD to pick up my green sub LVc and he was sharing with me that now even black sub have waiting lists and none of the Sports models are offered at a discount!

He also shared what a lot have been speculating about , price hike in the very near future which is another reason they’re not giving any discounts on ss models..... maybe a modest discount on DJs

So are discounts off of MSRP a thing of history?
My guess is if/when prices increase, any discount then will settle price equal to today’s MSRP which is another reason ADs are already sticking to MSRP
So looks like price hike is already here, announced by Rolex or not, ADs are practicing it!
DoctorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 02:50 AM   #2
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Cut supply, demand increases = no discount necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:17 AM   #3
Bigblu10
Banned

If people are willing to pay a premium over MSRP just to have a SS watch on their wrist, what incentive do sellers have to offer a discount? That's right....NADA
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:26 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Not in my opinion. What goes up must come down.
Old 15 January 2018, 03:31 AM   #5
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Late yesterday got 15% off a 116710ln. So no.

Edit: already received a handful of pms about the Explorer so deleting.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:33 AM   #6
aquatimerfla
Banned

Certain models will still get a discount. The regular GMT2 is not a hot seller and can be found easily today. Same with the explorer 2.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:47 AM   #7
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
Certain models will still get a discount. The regular GMT2 is not a hot seller and can be found easily today. Same with the explorer 2.
True and I don’t disagree with you. Those two are the lesser desired models and my ad always wants to get them out the door because they typically sit in his case for a while. Especially the Explorers.

I was able to get 5% off a blnr but that was a while ago.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:38 AM   #8
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I didn't get any discount on my SS Submariner Date 116610LN when I purchased it last March.

However, I did get around 7.5% discount from the same AD in December when I purchased the TT version 116613LB.
UK list £9,900 I paid £9,150.
Cheers.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:52 AM   #9
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I think AD’s will always discount for loyal customers. But I totally get that they have slowed down with the supply shortage and anticipated price increase. But I think long term discounts will be out there

Old 15 January 2018, 03:55 AM   #10
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
I’ve been told by AD’s they are supposed to adhere to MSRP thus they throw in a watch winder or will give a discount for cash or wire transfer to offset the credit card transaction fee. This has been my experience with the different AD’s that I have bought from.

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:00 AM   #11
Duende01
"TRF" Member

Wouldn't say it is everywhere. I guess, it will all depend on what they have and whom you are dealing with. Without even asking, my AD offered a 15% discount on the Black GMT when I inquired about the BLNR. This is not even including the other 21% I could have taken off due to me not having to pay the VAT. Planning to go get a DJ41 in a few months.
Duende01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:06 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

IMO im not convinced Rolex cares what their AD's are doing. Discount or full price sales and Rolex makes the same amount regardless. Its AD margins here not Rolex.

Rolex could cut dealer margins if they wanted discounts to stop, but they haven't that i am aware of.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:42 AM   #13
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
IMO im not convinced Rolex cares what their AD's are doing. Discount or full price sales and Rolex makes the same amount regardless. Its AD margins here not Rolex.

Rolex could cut dealer margins if they wanted discounts to stop, but they haven't that i am aware of.
They did cut dealer margins a few years ago. Supply will go back up and discounts will be plenty. It is just like the market right now, it is doing amazing. It will drop and so will demand, prices will drop as they always do.
Old 15 January 2018, 04:05 AM   #14
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Yesterday I was at my AD to pick up my green sub LVc and he was sharing with me that now even black sub have waiting lists and none of the Sports models are offered at a discount!

He also shared what a lot have been speculating about , price hike in the very near future which is another reason they’re not giving any discounts on ss models..... maybe a modest discount on DJs

So are discounts off of MSRP a thing of history?
My guess is if/when prices increase, any discount then will settle price equal to today’s MSRP which is another reason ADs are already sticking to MSRP
So looks like price hike is already here, announced by Rolex or not, ADs are practicing it!
Have to see what happens after Basel this year. Some are speculating supply to pick back up if that happens prices will return to where they were. As far as a price increase nobody knows.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:18 AM   #15
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Depends on the AD and your relationship with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:50 AM   #16
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post

^^^This
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 09:18 AM   #17
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
^^^This

It also depends on the city I think! Spending $50,000 at an AD in NYC where others are spending $100k is different than spending $20k in other cities where the most some ADs will see from a customer is $10k!

Wow so many factors play a role in getting the darn models we want!!
Old 15 January 2018, 07:18 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Exactly this

But I will say that the discounts are less than they used to be
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 05:42 AM   #19
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
Quote:

This. Trust me. I work at one.
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 06:11 AM   #20
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.L. View Post
This. Trust me. I work at one.
Yup, all about building relationships over the years...I'm lucky my dad is a big watch guy, so he started building those relationships many, many years ago and laid the groundwork for me to carry on the torch.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:33 AM   #21
meganfox17
Banned

This AD is one of my favourite places to visit.That's the boutique supervisor holding a Bluesy last week and he gently reminded me that there wont be any discount whatsoever...
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:35 AM   #22
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
This AD is one of my favourite places to visit.That's the boutique supervisor holding a Bluesy last week and he gently reminded me that there wont be any discount whatsoever...
Well, you better jump on that bluesy quick, Megan!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:05 AM   #23
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Change your AD - discounts are available on TT Subs..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 10:45 PM   #24
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've been past there a few times Megan when I have visited KL! They normally have some kind of crazy tourbillion (normally VC) outside selling for 50k+. Planning to go to KL again at the end of the month :) A great place to visit.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 10:58 PM   #25
MRGMTII
"TRF" Member

I can certainly vouch that in the UK first of all finding a SS model is extremely difficult, AD's have no need to discount them as demand is so high is you don't pay MSRP then they have a line of people who will. I visited a few of my local AD's without luck, didn't come across any in 4 trips outside the country via Heathrow/Gatwick Airports (so looked at duty free)

I personally visited nearly every Rolex store on 22/12/17 in Central London (7+ stores) and no one had any SS models in stock,typically they had 18 month waiting lists for both Sub and GMT's and for a LV/BLNR 4yrs+ or they had closed their lists and were not taking any orders.

I only found one gold/steel sub and one gold/steel GMT II in stock at £9600/9300 and no discount.

I called several AD's 1-2 hrs from me on 23/12 and found a cancelled order (original buyer circumstances changed and he could no longer afford it after waiting over a year) so I was lucky I got one. I did not bother asking for a discount as my previous days experience left me in no doubt I would be politely smiled at and told no, so saved myself the embarrassment of asking as I was just happy to have got a black SS GMT IIc this side of Christmas.

In Europe its very hard to get them and in the UK nigh on impossible unless you are very lucky as I was.

T.
MRGMTII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 11:44 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGMTII View Post
I can certainly vouch that in the UK first of all finding a SS model is extremely difficult, AD's have no need to discount them as demand is so high is you don't pay MSRP then they have a line of people who will. I visited a few of my local AD's without luck, didn't come across any in 4 trips outside the country via Heathrow/Gatwick Airports (so looked at duty free)

I personally visited nearly every Rolex store on 22/12/17 in Central London (7+ stores) and no one had any SS models in stock,typically they had 18 month waiting lists for both Sub and GMT's and for a LV/BLNR 4yrs+ or they had closed their lists and were not taking any orders.

I only found one gold/steel sub and one gold/steel GMT II in stock at £9600/9300 and no discount.

I called several AD's 1-2 hrs from me on 23/12 and found a cancelled order (original buyer circumstances changed and he could no longer afford it after waiting over a year) so I was lucky I got one. I did not bother asking for a discount as my previous days experience left me in no doubt I would be politely smiled at and told no, so saved myself the embarrassment of asking as I was just happy to have got a black SS GMT IIc this side of Christmas.

In Europe its very hard to get them and in the UK nigh on impossible unless you are very lucky as I was.

T.
Remember when TTs were £7K all day long from ADs...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:34 AM   #27
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think it's too soon to tell...IMO, the jury's still out.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:39 AM   #28
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Nope, I know of an AD in Nebraska who gives nice discounts on SS. Buddy picked up ND Sub for 7,1 shipped and two BLNR at 8k shipped.

TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:56 AM   #29
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCi View Post
Nope, I know of an AD in Nebraska who gives nice discounts on SS. Buddy picked up ND Sub for 7,1 shipped and two BLNR at 8k shipped.

Wow that’s a hefty discount on a BLNR! there has to be an amazing relationship with that AD with many pieces bought there!

With more “incomings” posted, there’s hope supply will be there to let prices come a little flatter! But my concern is what everyone is speculating about price hike! ....... time will tell
Old 15 January 2018, 05:40 AM   #30
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Wow that’s a hefty discount on a BLNR! there has to be an amazing relationship with that AD with many pieces bought there!

With more “incomings” posted, there’s hope supply will be there to let prices come a little flatter! But my concern is what everyone is speculating about price hike! ....... time will tell

Yeah, he's bought quite a few SS for himself, family and friends there. My friend is the "middle man" so to speak.

TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote