The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 August 2023, 08:18 PM   #1
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

26240OR full bracelet Black Dial pics?

Good morning!
My AD in Japan just reached out and offered me a 26240OR full bracelet black dial and I realized I really hadn’t seen a lot of incomings or wrist shots with one.
The Marine Corps actually has me in Korea right now for 3 weeks so it’s semi comical and fortuitous I guess that I’m as close as I am. I saw comical because it’s a really pricey watch… gorgeous of course, but pricey. I don’t know if I can justify having a silver dial 26240 - 50th anniversary and an OR black dial.

Other watches in the collection right now are a 15510 blue dial and a 124060 Sub No Date (just traded my DSSD for this since I just wasn’t wearing the thicker DSSD after wearing the AP’s for a year.

I am hoping someone here has some wrist shots they could share. I know the watch would fit me… I guess I’m just looking for pics to assuage my concerns of getting another ROC AP, or confirm I don’t need it….. so be unbiased and don’t enable me! Haha

Thanks,
~Pat
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 09:52 PM   #2
Armis
"TRF" Member

Whoa, a full bracelet OR is hard core. I just looked up a picture with the black dial and it is something else. But would you wear a gold piece like that??
And would you need to go back to Japan to purchase/pick up?
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:16 PM   #3
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Whoa, a full bracelet OR is hard core. I just looked up a picture with the black dial and it is something else. But would you wear a gold piece like that??
And would you need to go back to Japan to purchase/pick up?
I would have to go back to Japan to pick it up… but given the exchange rate, the watch itself is about $10-11k cheaper than in the US, and that’s after I pay for a return ticket
But even at 66k that’s still a lot…. And it’s full rose gold… not something I can get away wearing in uniform daily.
May be more of a special occasion watch, which is fine I guess, but definitely something to keep in mind.
I would still have the blue dial 15510 and ND sub even if I ended up selling the silver dial 26240 because I didn’t want/need two so similar.
Old 23 August 2023, 05:07 AM   #4
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
I would have to go back to Japan to pick it up… but given the exchange rate, the watch itself is about $10-11k cheaper than in the US, and that’s after I pay for a return ticket
But even at 66k that’s still a lot…. And it’s full rose gold… not something I can get away wearing in uniform daily.
May be more of a special occasion watch, which is fine I guess, but definitely something to keep in mind.
I would still have the blue dial 15510 and ND sub even if I ended up selling the silver dial 26240 because I didn’t want/need two so similar.
How would you sell the current 26240st ROC that you have (as do I) and not get blacklisted by AP Pat?
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 06:33 AM   #5
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post
From your last incoming I remember that you were debating whether to really get the watch because you actually couldn't afford it. Assuming this situation hasn't really changed, it seems that you are too uncertain reg. this watch to pay that amount of money for it. Just wait and pray for your 15510BC :-)
The 15510BC would be amazing - bus it’s a LE so my odds certainly aren’t great… doesn’t mean it can’t happen but I try to be a realist too. The 15510BC would probably negate the 15510 blue dial although I would be able to wear it more than the full gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
My 2 cents...
I am not in the military but my line of work doesn't really allow for full gold watches being worn - or more "being seen" by colleagues or clients.

Yet I bought a 15500OR on bracelet, black dial 3 years ago and I love that watch. I rock it on week-ends, vacation etc.

I had doubts about it first but never regretted getting one. It is just so cool!

It doesn't fully answer your question as it is not a chrono but I found it very close and a good proxy
This does help, thank you. I’ve never had a special occasion watch and that’s what this would become - well, weekend and anything non-work. I could not wear this in uniform - something about being too flashy haha.

Would you mind posting some pics? 15500 or 26240 the black dial full gold still gets the idea across :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
How would you sell the current 26240st ROC that you have (as do I) and not get blacklisted by AP Pat?
Unfortunately I would have to accept that I probably would be black listed.
Certainly not ideal but if I had a blue dial 15510 and a rose gold 26240 one could argue I wouldn’t necessarily need another AP. I don’t see myself on the receiving end for one of the unobtainable watches.
I definitely don’t want to, but it’s the reality of how they do business I’m afraid - and I can’t entirely blame them if I consider it from their perspective.
Old 23 August 2023, 12:19 AM   #6
PT_91
"TRF" Member

From your last incoming I remember that you were debating whether to really get the watch because you actually couldn't afford it. Assuming this situation hasn't really changed, it seems that you are too uncertain reg. this watch to pay that amount of money for it. Just wait and pray for your 15510BC :-)
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 01:04 AM   #7
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

My 2 cents...
I am not in the military but my line of work doesn't really allow for full gold watches being worn - or more "being seen" by colleagues or clients.

Yet I bought a 15500OR on bracelet, black dial 3 years ago and I love that watch. I rock it on week-ends, vacation etc.

I had doubts about it first but never regretted getting one. It is just so cool!

It doesn't fully answer your question as it is not a chrono but I found it very close and a good proxy
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 06:49 AM   #8
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Here you go!

AP155001.jpg

AP155002.jpg
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 06:50 AM   #9
NB614
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP / PP / Rolex
Congrats on being offered a full bracelet OR ROC, it's not often that boutiques offer those.

If this is your preferred dial color, I would say that this is an easy yes, especially at $66K after everything. However, if you need to let go of your 50th 26240ST to move into the OR, you should probably discuss it with your SA if you want to continue your relationship with AP. I think the outcome of that conversation will help to influence your final decision.
NB614 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 08:24 AM   #10
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
Looks great on you! My skin is lighter so it wouldn’t stand out as much but doesn’t mean it couldn’t look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB614 View Post
Congrats on being offered a full bracelet OR ROC, it's not often that boutiques offer those.

If this is your preferred dial color, I would say that this is an easy yes, especially at $66K after everything. However, if you need to let go of your 50th 26240ST to move into the OR, you should probably discuss it with your SA if you want to continue your relationship with AP. I think the outcome of that conversation will help to influence your final decision.
Thank you - I do consider myself lucky.
I think we all know how the discussion with the SA would go - not favorably! Haha.

She will most likely be departing the store in the coming future - no set date yet. Obviously could affect my ability to get pieces in the future even if I remained in APs good graces. Of course some people have gotten new SA’s and still been treated well, with or without a purchase history, so it’s hard to tell how much I should let that affect my decision.

I do like my silver 26240 so I don’t really want to sell it, but would I prefer something different? Quite possibly!
Old 23 August 2023, 08:52 AM   #11
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Tried that one last year a few times (not for sale) - that's a serious piece of bling. I'd like to have one, eventually, but don't really see many opportunities to wear it.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 09:17 AM   #12
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
I have paler skin and wear the full rose gold. I think a full gold Royal Oak is as good as it gets in terms of ‘sports’ watches! So beautiful and so much fun to wear. Get compliments the whole time too which I didn’t expect, but people love it - not one for when you want to be discrete!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4383.jpeg (159.4 KB, 835 views)
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 09:19 AM   #13
messikens
"TRF" Member

Honestly Pat why bother?

You debated on whether to let go the ROC before... Now you're thinking of buying the same one again just because it's OR...

It's less wearable, significantly more expensive, scratches easier, certainly can't wear it at work and selling the ST may get you in hot water.

So outside of having it for the sake of being offered it... What's exactly the upside outside of talking yourself into an expensive "good deal"?
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 09:46 AM   #14
watchaser
2024 Pledge Member

The 26240or is a heavy hitter for sure. Hefty wrist presence and the full rose gold is stunning with any dial configuration. Having an ST and OR seems little redundant on paper but it’s really not. Between the OR or the ST, I wear the OR every occasion I get. It's really a wonder full PM piece. USD retail with tax is roughly $80K. If I was in your shoes, I'd jump on the opportunity to pick it up.
At 66K, you will have tons of equity to enjoy for many many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 10:44 AM   #15
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
This isn’t a black dial or the same size but this to me is a special occasion watch. Too flashy for everyday wear with the bracelet on. I do wear it at times with brown rubber or brown leather and it is definitely acceptable for everyday wear with those. Tough choice but beautiful watches.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 01:28 PM   #16
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Tried that one last year a few times (not for sale) - that's a serious piece of bling. I'd like to have one, eventually, but don't really see many opportunities to wear it.
It’s funny how some people struggle to wear full gold, and others don’t appear to have any issues (I can’t even imagine YG over RG).
I wonder if it is simply a self perceived can’t/shouldn’t rather than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
I have paler skin and wear the full rose gold. I think a full gold Royal Oak is as good as it gets in terms of ‘sports’ watches! So beautiful and so much fun to wear. Get compliments the whole time too which I didn’t expect, but people love it - not one for when you want to be discrete!!
Looks incredible and exactly why I am so inclined a because it does look good. I could cherry see why some people find it more flashy, but others are perfectly comfortable with it. I wear an AP in cammies and 99.9% of people don’t care/notice. I wonder if I would have a similar level of pleasure wearing RG simply because I enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Honestly Pat why bother?

You debated on whether to let go the ROC before... Now you're thinking of buying the same one again just because it's OR...

It's less wearable, significantly more expensive, scratches easier, certainly can't wear it at work and selling the ST may get you in hot water.

So outside of having it for the sake of being offered it... What's exactly the upside outside of talking yourself into an expensive "good deal"?
There’s a lot of wisdom in this and I appreciate the contrary opinion.

I wouldn’t buy another ST ROC because it would be too similar, the OR is obviously in a league of its own, which means I can’t wear it at work, but that still leaves weekends, holidays etc.
I will wholeheartedly admit I have enjoyed wearing my watches, at least in part because I know what they are even when others don’t. The RG AP would probably attract more attention and questions (which I haven’t minded thus far when I did chat about my watches), but it may make it feel even more special than the ST’s already are.
The hot water for selling the ROC is annoying no doubt and the biggest reason I am hesitating - but not necessarily because I don’t want/like the OR more but because I don’t like the idea of disappointing my SA. For me that is a real thing (right or wrong), and I believe that’s why the fact she will be leaving her job at some point factors into it. It’s like I would disappoint her less…. That’s obviously not right but it’s hard to explain.

As far as it being a good deal - it’s hard to deny the fortune at being offered a watch like this (we hate that this is what it comes to but it’s exactly what it is, and the fact I’m receiving that offer with an ~18% discount is hard to ignore.
I did put my name on the list when I last saw my SA in Japan, so it’s not like this is an out of the blue offer with no prior desire.

I really appreciate your thoughts - they definitely make me consider the alternate perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchaser View Post
The 26240or is a heavy hitter for sure. Hefty wrist presence and the full rose gold is stunning with any dial configuration. Having an ST and OR seems little redundant on paper but it’s really not. Between the OR or the ST, I wear the OR every occasion I get. It's really a wonder full PM piece. USD retail with tax is roughly $80K. If I was in your shoes, I'd jump on the opportunity to pick it up.
At 66K, you will have tons of equity to enjoy for many many years.

This is again why I am so inclined to. It looks stunning, and your desire to wear it whenever possible is awesome. Maybe I’ll see if my wife wants to ga halfsies and I just take links out when she wants to wear it! Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
This isn’t a black dial or the same size but this to me is a special occasion watch. Too flashy for everyday wear with the bracelet on. I do wear it at times with brown rubber or brown leather and it is definitely acceptable for everyday wear with those. Tough choice but beautiful watches.

Looks great as well. It being too flashy is obviously a matter of perspective as that seems to differ between everyone, but much of it may depend on what we do day to day, and wheee we find ourselves.
Old 23 August 2023, 02:40 PM   #17
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

You’ve been fine so far after selling the Offshore so what’s to say this time would be any different?
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 04:58 PM   #18
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWorldTour View Post
You’ve been fine so far after selling the Offshore so what’s to say this time would be any different?
Sold to a trusted seller who I don’t believe sold it yet, which is why it won’t have been flagged as sold; I’m fortunate in that regard.
Old 24 August 2023, 02:00 AM   #19
J.T.
"TRF" Member

Not a 26240 but basically the same visual comparison
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220629_180046.jpg (280.5 KB, 730 views)
File Type: jpg 20220629_132808.jpg (286.5 KB, 737 views)
J.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 06:59 AM   #20
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Sold to a trusted seller who I don’t believe sold it yet, which is why it won’t have been flagged as sold; I’m fortunate in that regard.
For your sake I hope so Pat but AP do look at/read these forums so I suspect the clock is ticking if you sell the ROC too…

Putting that aside AP pink gold is heavenly so good luck with whatever you go for
Old 24 August 2023, 07:02 AM   #21
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
For your sake I hope so Pat but AP do look at/read these forums so I suspect the clock is ticking if you sell the ROC too…

Putting that aside AP pink gold is heavenly so good luck with whatever you go for
Oh I know - I have been on borrowed time so to speak, hence the luck in being offered another watch.
As much as I understand the games we must play with AD’s (if we choose to), I also don’t want to keep watches if they’re not what I want anymore. Tastes change, everyone here knows that - but I can’t fault AP for wanting to limit those who buy and sell for profit. Not something I’m looking to do but I understand they won’t see it that way; besides, these aren’t commanding quite the premium they once were.

Thank you!
Old 24 August 2023, 07:32 AM   #22
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Oh I know - I have been on borrowed time so to speak, hence the luck in brunch offered another watch.
As much as I understand the games we must play with AD’s (if we choose to), I also don’t want to keep watches if they’re not what I want anymore. Tastes change, everyone here knows that - but I can’t fault AP for wanting to limit those who buy and sell for profit. Not something I’m looking to do but I understand they won’t se it that way.

Thank you!
I totally see and understand what you’re saying here Pat. It should not be this way but it just is. If anything I think the leading brands are stepping up their involvement (control?) in how long folks keep their watches and I totally get it from their side too.

I have a total, deep love for the AP brand and I have a very clear picture of what my own collection will look like over the next few years and I’m happy to see that play out for me. But I understand if others don’t want to play the long game.

Best of luck in whatever you do Pat
Old 24 August 2023, 02:29 AM   #23
Il Verrocchio
"TRF" Member

A freaking brick of rose gold. Amazing black dial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP LOW.jpg (141.6 KB, 727 views)
Il Verrocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 07:48 AM   #24
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
Not a 26240 but basically the same visual comparison
Stunning nonetheless. Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Verrocchio View Post
A freaking brick of rose gold. Amazing black dial
Wow, looks great!
Old 24 August 2023, 08:32 AM   #25
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

if you can swing it then i would drop the steel ROC for the gold one. i'd much rather have 1 steel and 1 gold AP than 2 steel considering they're basically the same watch minus the dial. if you're fine with possibly getting blacklisted, and sounds like you might even get blacklisted without this anyway, then to me this is a no brainer if you can afford it. i think i'd even be content with those 2 in my collection because everything else i'd want would require VIP status i'd never get lol
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 09:18 AM   #26
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
if you can swing it then i would drop the steel ROC for the gold one. i'd much rather have 1 steel and 1 gold AP than 2 steel considering they're basically the same watch minus the dial. if you're fine with possibly getting blacklisted, and sounds like you might be even get blacklisted without this anyway, then to me this is a no brainer if you can afford it. i think i'd even be content with those 2 in my collection because everything else i'd want would require VIP status i'd never get lol
This is essentially exactly what I’ve been thinking/contemplating. As lucky as I’ve gotten, my SA doesn’t know if she could get me a LE 15510BC which is the only other watch I’d love, so that’s why this seems like a great opportunity.

Like you, I think a gold and steel AP would make for a nice AP collection.
Old 24 August 2023, 02:41 PM   #27
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is essentially exactly what I’ve been thinking/contemplating. As lucky as I’ve gotten, my SA doesn’t know if she could get me a LE 15510BC which is the only other watch I’d love, so that’s why this seems like a great opportunity.

Like you, I think a gold and steel AP would make for a nice AP collection.
For whatever it’s worth, the main trade off, however, would be the loss of a 50th Anniversary piece, which the steel ROC is. Granted, that is just a matter of a difference in rotor, since all the same pieces could/can be gotten.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 04:17 PM   #28
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Quote:
Well said, Pat!
Thank you :)

Quote:
For whatever it’s worth, the main trade off, however, would be the loss of a 50th Anniversary piece, which the steel ROC is. Granted, that is just a matter of a difference in rotor, since all the same pieces could/can be gotten.
I know, and it bothers me because I do really like the silver ROC, even more so because it’s an anniversary piece - which only makes a little sense since the watch is the same for all intent and purpose and how much time do people truly spend looking through the clear case back?!

I spoke to my wife about all this and while she’s certainly less “fanatical” than most of us on TRF, she’s all on board, especially when I offered to let her wear it (she daily’s a 41mm date just). She’s Hispanic so it’ll compliment her skin tone well. Maybe we make it out Christmas/anniversary gift to one another
Old 25 August 2023, 05:59 AM   #29
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon7

I saw a beautiful 26240OR for sale on Moda today (@ $105k I think) and it’s just a sensational piece.

I totally agree with what you said earlier Pat….if your AP collection was made up of that new watch and your 15510ST then it’s a pretty damn good place to be as they cover a lot of bases.

Go for it mate
Old 25 August 2023, 09:15 AM   #30
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Not the worst predicament to be in. Is great to be offered 4 watches in a relatively short period of time and you must have a great relationship there to be offered a 50th anniversary piece, a blue dial RO and now a full gold bracelet RO!

Personally, I would rather have one steel and one full rose gold RO over two steel models. AP’s rose gold is stunning and like you say there will be occasions to wear it. The steel RO could be more of a daily and the gold can be brought out for when the occasion permits.

If you need to sell one of your current RO’s to fund the new one then that’s the tricky situation and only you can decide how to play it. The boutique won’t like it but seems like you’ve already sold one watch which they may find out about soon.

One thing that nobody has mentioned would be to keep the 26240st over the 15510st, as there are more similarities between the 15510st and the OR. With the 26240st you’d still have a Chronograph watch, the 50th anniversary rotor and a completely different dial colour from the black on the 15510or. Saying that, not much beats a blue dial RO and would be criminal to lose it from the collection!

Best of luck!
grahammackay86 is offline   Reply With Quote